1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dynamat Poll, yes or no? If so how much?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Armyballer, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Dynamat, do it or not?

1. Yes, do the entire truck, it's well worth the cost for your system and needs

85 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. No way, your system will be fine for what you want out of it.

48 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. You gotta do at least the doors, that will do you fine.

62 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Doors and wall behind the sub box are a must!!!

163 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    I voted entire truck, but I vote against Dynamat.

It's a product that was marketed very well, but doesn't do the intended goal in a very efficient manner.

Check out http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ for all you need to know about sound/vibration isolation.

I did a combo of Constrained Layer Damper (CLD) tiles, mass loaded vinyl (MLV), and Closed Cell Foam (CCF) in my car and the results were pretty impressive.

I also used some extruded butyl rope between the outer door skin and reinforcement bars in the doors.

The guy that runs that site, Don, is very knowledgeable and helpful in deciding upon the best approach. I ordered the MLV from a different site though, which I found to be the best price. His was slightly higher. Otherwise, I called up and he figured out how much I needed for my vehicle.

I'll be using the leftover product from my prior install in my Taco in the next couple of weeks.

The CLD product is seen here. No need for 100% coverage. That'd be overkill. Check the video from the CLD link above. Pretty cool. There is also CLD behind the vapor barrier. The EBR is also behind there.
    [​IMG]

The MLV is beneath the CCF seen here. I velcroed the MLV to the door, trimmed to fit, then removed and glued CCF on top of it.
    [​IMG]

More CLD tiles seen here...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The MLV and CCF went down on top of the CLD in these areas as well. No pics though.

Can't wait to attack the truck so that I can compare the before & after. The TACO is pretty noisy as is.

2. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    eodrunner

eodrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerron
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    2 JL 10W3, Infinity reference series speakers all around, infinity 1600a and 475a amps, Pioneer Avicenna-z140bh
    I did Dynamat on all four doors and the rear since I have two subs back there. It was 75 per door installed and 150 for the rear. I got it done here on Guam where it's hard to get anything done and they want you to pay extra for everything. It's not as difficult as he's making it sound or I would have paid a lot more.

3. Jun 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Hey Jax here too, I just ordered a pack of BXT II and peal and stick ensolite from Rick at Raamaudio and some of that rope from Don, Don has lowered the price on his MLV and sells by the foot or sheet now, I only plan on doing the floors with the MLV and the Raam pack for doors, rear and roof. Looking to have all but the MLV here for the long 4th weekend.

4. Jul 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    I did a test.. after installing raammat in the doors, the shi$ was louder. bottom line, it improves the quality of the sound. I'm a sound-deaden snob now.

5. Jul 4, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    You know what they say...once you deaden, it's sound quality heaven :D

Taco 422 likes this.
  6. Jul 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    TnA

TnA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Haven't read this entire thread, but as a previous car stereo installer and competitor, we found Dynamat to be over-priced for what it did. While I do not have experience with some of these new items you guys are discussing in this thread, I have a lot of experience with (and a lot of faith in) ice and water shield roof underlayment. It is self adhesive (incredibly so!), very flexible (more so than Dynamat), and does just as good a job as Dynamat (if not better) at about 1/3 the cost. The kind I am referring to has a silvery backside to it and can be found at many home improvement stores (I just picked up a few rolls at my local Home Depot).

I just recently installed the JL Audio dual 10's Stealthbox in my DC and the back sheetmetal was was a total buzz-bomb (yuck!). So I took some expanding foam to all the hollow areas and then used ice and water shield roof underlayment (total cost of these items: $39.83). End result was total removal of all the buzzing noise. Now, the only thing that shakes and vibrates are the back windows (the JL Audio Stealthbox really hits hard!).

Hope this helps!

7. Jul 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Roofing material has no viseolastic properties and is less than ideal for deadening. It's certainly better than nothing but the sheer amount you'd need would cost waaay more than a good constrained layer dampener with good viseolastic properties.

8. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM
    TnA

TnA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Wow Italyn, I just had to look up "viseolastic properties"! :p Like I said, I paid a total of $39.83 for 1 can of spray foam and two small rolls (4" x 25') of ice and water shield roofing underlayment to remove all the transient vibration and buzzing from my back wall caused my the subs. The underlayment was placed as a single layer (with overlap), so I really did not use that much. To be clear, I am not referring to the sheets with embedded asphalt in them. These are sheets of a very sticky rubber compound with a foil backing on them.

I don't know all the big words and scientific theory....but here's what I do know; Dynamat used to send dealers a display that had a piece of untreated metal and a piece of Dynamat treated metal so that people could hear the difference. We conducted (and displayed) the same thing with a piece of untreated metal, a piece of Dynamat treated metal, and a piece of underlayment treated metal and the metal with the underlayment provided the same vibration dampening effect as the Dynamat at 1/3 the cost.

I just offer up this material as a FAR more cost effective method for anyone considering Dynamat. :)

*edit* Also, looking up "viscoelastic properties" brought up Second Skin Automotive Insulation's website (http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php) which, to my untrained and inexperienced eye, their Damplifier looks eerily like the very same underlayment that I am referring to.

9. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    If it's really a butyl rubber compound then it might be somewhat decent. You're exactly right about the asphalt based stuff; you want to stay away from that. It's the heat that will end up killing it.

Dynamat is quite expensive and I actually used Second Skin Audio products for a long time because back then, it was cheaper than Dynamat and the best stuff on the market. Now, Don at Sound Deadener Show Down has the best stuff IMO. I did the whole Tacoma with his stuff and I'm very happy.

10. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    rob_s

rob_s Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport

I am planning on using these same products on the back wall of my Tacoma (to start). I was under the impression that the proper sequence was:
    metal
    CLV
    CCF
    MLV

Is this not right?

11. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    kramer2k

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    This is true Rob. I did my doors with the CCF & MLV reversed. Not on purpose! :p I had already measured, cut, and glued, so I went ahead with the install. I don't know that it matters that much, but I did it correctly in the rest of the car.

12. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    I believe Don from SDS said in a post over on diyma.com he had done doors both ways, CLD->MLV->CCF, and CLD->CCR->MLV, and the results were the same.

He just said he preferred the CLD->MLV->CCF method better since the CCF on the outside seem to help the inner door panel fit back on more snugly to eliminate rattles, moreso than if the MLV was on the outside.

13. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    rob_s

rob_s Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport

OK, just wanted to check as in my case the MLV is likely going to wind up exposed when the seats are down and it obviously should be much more resilient than the CCF.

14. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Switch the left and right door MLV/CCF assembly. They are mirror images ;)

15. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    kramer2k

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Usually so, but in the case of my Corvette's doors, they actually bolt on in two different spots. I didn't want to have to cut new holes, and have to use more velcro than I needed too. Trivial things in the grand scheme, which is why I decided to just leave 'em. :)

16. Jul 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Ahhh, I thought you were talking about the Tacoma.

I think you should be fine :)

17. Jul 6, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    bookmonke

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Ok did my doors this weekend with BXT II and peal and stick ensolite from Rick and Butyl rope from Don, new reading in the cab at 70MPH are 68.7dB concrete and 66.9dB asphalt. Need to get the MLV from Don yet and do the back wall, ceiling and roof yet.

18. Jul 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Wow! That's a big difference, and that was just doing the doors!? Impressive. How much of the peal & stick ensolite did it take to do your doors?

19. Jul 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    bookmonke

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    I ordered 3 yards and used just less than half, have enough to do roof and some of the back wall, it works out to about 14 sq. ft. a yard and it is sticky but easy to cut with scissors, just had to clean them with goo gone after each door.

P7040005.jpg
    P7040007.jpg
    P7040008.jpg

20. Jul 7, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    Well, I measured mine with my dB meter last night taking the wife to the airport. Did it a few times (45 min drive) @ 70mph on the highway to check for accuracy. According to my decade old Radio Shack analog spl meter, with slow response and c weighting, it was about 84 to 86 db in my truck.

Here's the kicker. I've completely done the truck in Raammat BXT on the floors (doubled in a few spots), BXT II on the doors, back wall, and roof. Ensolite over top that. And yes, I now know it's not needed and overkill, but I did complete coverage with the deadener.

That was before I read Don's site. I've got a roll of MLV and supplies in the garage, and my truck is coming apart as I type.

I REALLY hope the MLV quiet's down my interior. It actually doesn't seem that loud in there, but....

FYI, my truck's an access cab, but I've got Goodyear Duratrac's on it. LOL, probably most of the problem right there.

Products Discussed in

To Top