1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dynamat Poll, yes or no? If so how much?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Armyballer, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Dynamat, do it or not?

1. Yes, do the entire truck, it's well worth the cost for your system and needs

85 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. No way, your system will be fine for what you want out of it.

48 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. You gotta do at least the doors, that will do you fine.

62 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Doors and wall behind the sub box are a must!!!

163 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Sep 11, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    For people with iPhones, you can get a free app from JL audio that has a sound meter in it and it matches up pretty good with a true hand held one I have.

2. Jan 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    dicktation808

dicktation808 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maka
    Kauai

What do we tell them? Do we tell em that were part of tw?

3. Jan 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    walked into our local shop with a determination not to spend over $2500 (of course, ended up spending just over $3K). the head of this shop recommended against ANY type of sound-deadening material :eek: when i asked him why, he said it can be counter-productive and simply unnecessary in my particular case (the truck was fairly new @ the time). he has built competition systems in the past so i said "OK". many variables to consider...............:) keep in mind i'm running a JL audio stealthbox made of fiberglass, not wood, which supposedly has less resonance than a wood enclosure.

4. Jan 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Yes. Send Rick an e-mail before ordering to make sure the proper discount is applied. Sometimes it's a real price difference, and sometimes when he's got everything on sale there's not much difference, but with contact you can be sure.

5. Jan 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    dicktation808

dicktation808 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maka
    Kauai

Thanks man ill look into it. This might be a stupid question but wats his email :confused:

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 4:37 AM
    TnA

TnA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Wow! As a former 0-150 SPL+ competitor and certified installer, I really have to wonder about your local pro-shop's recommendation! :eek:

I'm also running the JL Audio Stealthbox in my 08 Taco and it is because of it that I needed to add sound dampening. Bolting that sub box to the back wall of the cab causes the entire back wall to vibrate and create harmonic distortions. Even w/ all the sound-deadening I did, I still have a bunch of buzz and rattle of the sheet metal that I need to (eventually) work on getting rid of.

Perhaps he was just reluctant to do the work? As an installer, it's a pain in the rear and sometimes, the time is not worth the money....this is especially true when dealing w/ brand-new vehicles where you have to worry about causing inadvertent damage to panels and such.

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    Peel n Seal, works pretty much like all of the deadeners. At Home Depot it's called Quick Roof. dheap too about $18 or bucks for a decent roll.

8. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    After doing my last truck, covering every single piece of metal (floor, walls, doors, roof, lining the front wheel wells and the hood and upper portion of the firewall..basically what I could reach w/o removing shit to apply it), here is what I would do the 2nd time around, keeping cost and time in mind. Fwiw, I prefer a quiet ride vs loading up the vehicle to kill every rattle from unecessary amounts of bass. Anyway.....

Vibration damper on doors, but don't over-do-it. It can really weigh down those doors and stress the hinges.
    MLV/CCF noise barrier also on doors, but more importantly on the roof, floor and rear wall. This stuff hardly weighs anything at all, so get good coverage.
    Hood liner is a quick application and if you have a few extra bux, may not be a bad idea.
    I'd skip the wheel wells unless you're getting really crazy. OR tires create enough noise to probably justify the application, but those running OR tires probably dont care about keeping things quiet. Rather, it'll probably be street truck/car guys who probably use a relatively quiet tire.

9. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    Alanwn09

Alanwn09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Pioneer Head Unit, 1 JL Audio 10'' Sub, Nerf Bars, Tinted Windows, Vent Shades, Bug Deflector, Flowmaster 40 Series, Cobra Cb w/ 4ft K40, 2 KC Hi Lites Behind Homertaco Satoshi Grille, Debadged and Deflapped, Low Profile Toolbox,16 inch M/T Classic II on 265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain TA KO, Scan Gauge II, Fog Lights SOLD AS OF 6-13-2014
  10. Jan 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
  11. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    TnA

TnA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Without having seen it firsthand, your very first issue is that it is not self-sticking....and that's where the true strength of any of these rubberized-type sound-deadening materials comes from....you need to get the rubberized material to stick to as much sheet metal as possible to give that sheet metal more mass and lessen the vibrations.

The second issue would be the pliability of that material. Since it's designed to be a floor underlayment, it may very well be very stiff and you want something that is pliable and somewhat stretchable to get around all the ribbing and other odd shapes inside your vehicle.

12. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    makes complete sense (didn't know that about MLV). I have 1 layer done on the back wall (for now), I'm pushing only about 680w to my subs, is one layer good enough or one more layer should do? Don't want to go nuts with it (seen people do the entire cab with 3 layers ... lol I'm not doing anything earth shattering).

13. Jan 15, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    TnA

TnA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Well, I'm running the JL Audio XD 600/6 amplifier w/ the last 2 channels bridged into my Stealthbox....so that's putting a measly 200 watts into those 2x12" subs. With that said, I only focused on the back wall since bolting the sub-box to that back wall caused the entire back wall of the cab to vibrate to the point of not being able to enjoy the subs.

I used expanding foam to fill in all the hollow areas of sheet metal struts and then used a single overlapping layer of Peal N Seal across the back wall of the cab since that was my "buzz bomb" area. That has (fairly) effectively eliminated the majority of the noise from the cab and now, the major source of my vibrations come from the factory plastic bedliner. :mad:

So if I were to continue, I'd probably target my bedliner next....but that's just me personally......and I'm not on a personal quest to make my cab as silent as possible....merely to eliminate vibrations/buzzing caused by my music. :)

14. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dang 200w and you get vibrations? I hear it more in the rear access doors than the bed. I'm just going to do up the whole cab with one layer and see if that works (should, I see guys pushing like 1kw or more and they got like 3/4 layers, the MLV and so on).

15. Jan 16, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
  16. Jan 16, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    TnA

TnA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Yeah, that double-cab Stealthbox is (very surprisingly) efficient. I'd like to move on to the 600/1 amp just to push it harder, but it's just not a priority for me right now.....especially knowing that it will just show me more areas to vibration-dampen. :p

I'll be interested to hear how your vibration-dampening experiences work out! Keep us posted! :)

17. Jan 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:

X2 with hooked. ever since I did the back wall, the roof flexes more than it used to, and I am hearing some vibrating in the back access doors. It's kind of hard for me to gauge which is which though when Im at the house (stupid garage door vibrates enough to confuse me). Going to shoot a small vid of the roof jiggling and dee if I can get the doors lol :D

18. Jan 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
  19. Feb 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    MLV is neither pliable nor self adhesive. The only thing that matters is mass. Needs to be 1 pound per square foot or greater... that stuff is .75 pounds per square foot so you would need 2 layers. Find something heavier. Remember only mass/weight matter... it can be rubber, metal, vinyl, or whatever... just needs the mass. Material is 100% irrelevant.

20. Feb 17, 2012 at 3:34 AM
    TH3DUBBS

TH3DUBBS Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dubbs
    Southern utah
    There is other cheaper products that work just the same as dynamat. Buy one of those and install it your self. It will be well worth it.

Dynamat makes a trashed out civic quite like a Lexus.

Products Discussed in

To Top