1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dyno test experiment

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ResidentCarbon, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Dec 17, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    ResidentCarbon

ResidentCarbon [OP] Guest

WHERE DID YOU GET A BLANK? I need one.

illogical likes this.
  2. Dec 17, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    ResidentCarbon

I’ll stand by for that. Take your time and thank you!

3. Dec 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    ResidentCarbon

I will most likely try out OV in the end, but this could potentially bring something new to the table for them to add new tweaks. I’m a few months in and I get a consistent 260 to the tank regardless of how I drive with my mix of back roads, highway, and interstate.

4. Dec 17, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    92ehatch

92ehatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue DC TRD OR 6MT
    The difference in first gear is ridiculous.

The shift to second is almost identical to how it felt with the acis unplugged. The lunging at low rpm didn't happen today on my first drives, about 40 miles today

I obviously have more miles to put on it but so far I'm pretty pleased.

The throttle response is the biggest thing for me. It acts more like a cable

5. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    ResidentCarbon

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

Mokanic[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 4, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    Tullie D

Tullie D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 SSM Access Cab
    @ResidentCarbon

Did you ever get around to running the dyno test?

thepmh and GillyLink like this.
  7. Apr 28, 2020 at 2:22 AM
    Tullie D

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
  8. Jun 5, 2020 at 8:36 PM
    sebooher95

sebooher95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 MGM Sport 6MT 4x4 KDMax6.0 XT
    KDMax6.0 XT Tuned
    In an attempt to keep this thread alive I'm gonna share my experience unplugging the ACIS over the past few months.

To start off I have the manual transmission so you automatic folks probably won't care much about this first part. My biggest gripe with the trans, aside from the insanely tall reverse gear, is the slow speed surge I get at the bottom of second gear. First gear is a short stump puller and the transition up to second has a pretty good ratio jump. Quite often this leaves me in a low speed situation where going down into first would force me to slow down even further nearly to a stop then rev match for a smooth acceleration or go to second and fairly easily power through. Accelerating out of the bottom of second tends to induce a surge bucking the truck slightly back and forth several times until the engine RPM climbs out and and we're off to the races. Before you ask I don't feel as if I'm lugging the engine during this, I don't experience the typical lugging shutter its a more pronounced power surge followed by sufficient power to accelerate normally. This has become a consistent nuisance and worst of all is the dirty look from the wife and dog. To sum up, I found unplugging the ACIS eliminated the surge completely. In situations when I expect the surge, this seems to be the remedy. I do mostly city driving with the truck which puts me in more frequent situations to experience a noticeable difference with it unplugged.

I’ve kept it unplugged for the past few months and had basically forgotten about it. I recently took the truck loaded with people and a bed full of vacation shit on a trip with long stretches of highway at steep grades keeping the engine at higher RPM in lower gears powering up the hills. I noticed about half way through the trip that I just wasn't feeling the same pulling power out of the truck that I have become used to and figured it was due to the summer temps and asses in the seats. The next time I stopped for gas, I plugged the ACIS back in and found that the engine pulled noticeably harder up the hills. I also noticed an increase of intake noise and the engine seemed happier pulling up to redline through second and third gear. Fourth and fifth gear in the hills did seem to hold me at a constant speed easier with less pedal input.

Overall the power band seems stronger with it plugged in but the low speed second gear surge has returned. Makes me wish I could have the ACIS on a switch in the cab for city and highway driving. I have not noticed any impact on MPGs with it unplugged vs plugged in that would be a deciding factor for sure. Guess I’ll unplug it for my normal city driving and plug it in for trips. Curious to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or a contradictory one.

Big tall dave likes this.
  9. Jun 5, 2020 at 9:37 PM
    Claudiomartinof

Claudiomartinof Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD 6MT

What is the ACIS?

10. Jun 5, 2020 at 11:32 PM
    illogical

illogical Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 OR MT
    This is almost identical to my experience... slight surging with it connected, predictable, but annoying and definitely more power in the higher RPMs.

Smooth and steady with it disconnected, but it's feels like the intake is sucking through a straw at high RPMs.

I keep hoping that someone with more free time than I builds a switch kit for it. Or even better yet automate with an audrino?

11. Jun 6, 2020 at 1:01 AM
    Tullie D

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    The OP, @ResidentCarbon seems to be MIA. He hasn't been seen since March 2. He must've lost interest or something like that. :notsure:

12. Jun 11, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    houser1995

houser1995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Clarendon Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 6MT Trd Sport (Ovtuned)
    -Bds 6 in. lift, Fox factory 2.5 coilovers with dsc + remote res and factory 2.0 shocks with comp adjuster + remote res. -Fab fours front bumper -Method MR305 wheels -35/12.50 R18 Milestar Patagonias -Header back 2in. I.D. true duals with 2nd cat deleted (X pipe turbo muffler) -Af Dynamics Intake -Ovtuned running 2.0 SFOB Premium tune with @92ehatch and @tonered throttle edits (1st version with high tip in and sensitivity) -URD Stage 3 clutch (Ceramic/Kevlar) -Custom trail rash and dented bedside
    Ov tune vf software has what your looking for you can edit the open/close rpms for the acis however you wish.

illogical[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 11, 2020 at 2:12 PM
    houser1995

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Clarendon Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    -Bds 6 in. lift, Fox factory 2.5 coilovers with dsc + remote res and factory 2.0 shocks with comp adjuster + remote res. -Fab fours front bumper -Method MR305 wheels -35/12.50 R18 Milestar Patagonias -Header back 2in. I.D. true duals with 2nd cat deleted (X pipe turbo muffler) -Af Dynamics Intake -Ovtuned running 2.0 SFOB Premium tune with @92ehatch and @tonered throttle edits (1st version with high tip in and sensitivity) -URD Stage 3 clutch (Ceramic/Kevlar) -Custom trail rash and dented bedside
    Acoustic induction control system. It is a flap in the intake manifold that when open shortens the intake. When closed air is routed around it to in effect lengthen the intake manifold. In summary it’s a valve that controls the length of your intake based on rpms

illogical likes this.
  14. Jun 11, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    Claudiomartinof

Claudiomartinof Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD 6MT
    thanks for explaining

15. Jun 11, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    houser1995

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Clarendon Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Not a problem

GillyLink likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top