1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DynoLock Electric Tail Gate Lock Install

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Wrekreation, May 10, 2009.

1. Sep 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I would think you need to access the trunk lock wires, but I have no trunk on my truck.

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Bump.

Anyone have any experience with shipping to Canada? I can't find any information on their website about it.

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    Phrendo

Phrendo Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    Just shoot an email to Jim, Im sure he can work it out.

By the way, I have had my lock in place with a fold-ca-cover G4 for 6 months now without issue. It's a great product.

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Wrekreation

Wrekreation [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    roll top
    I've had my Dynolock since 2009 with a Truck Covers USA - American Roll Cover and it has been great. I'd do it again.

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    TonyJ

TonyJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Sport
    Totally agree, while the wiring is a bit tough to identify it is well worth the hassle. Add a solid tonneau cover and your stuff is secure back there!

6. Jan 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Wally00

Wally00 New Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Absolutely!

The product instructions called for the wires to be connected to the blue/pink and blue/white wires. My truck has no blue/white wire ARGH! But after following the instructions you guys supplied, I was able to get the dynolock working.

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    Surferdude

Surferdude Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    Do NOT use the Blue/PINK, use the blue/RED! Because if you do, you'll get the long beeeep like the door is open and the lock won't do a thing.

There is a thin blue/pink wire and there's also a thicker blue/red wire which is the one to be used.

It's VERY tough to see the wires, as they're pulled tight and there's a bunch of em. The photos from an earlier post are spot on and show the correct wires. Again, don't use the really thin blue/pink.

I'm sure there are others out there wondering if they are able to do this. It's really fairly simple, especially thanks to previous posters in this thread. Below are a few more photos that might be helpful to others.

Here's what your tailgate looks like with the cover off, weird. Now I know why it feels so light.
    IMG_0570.jpg

I ran my wires through the hole in gate used by the camera wires. I drilled a hole through the plastic cover
    IMG_0576.jpg

Like others, I had to shave the plastic block. This allowed the unit to rotate a bit more and then the bolt would align better to prevent the handle from opening.
    IMG_0578.jpg

Using a portable battery jumper, you can test the action of the "lock". Simply reverse the connections to open or close.
    IMG_0580.jpg

There's a hole in the middle of the bed, wires fit through there nicely.
    IMG_0585.jpg

This is probably the coolest mod I've made to my truck. Even though I have a soft Tonneau, now I won't worry when I leave stuff in there for a few minutes or hours.

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    I bought the Dynolock and am planning on putting it in.
    For the Access Cab, someone stated the wires are on the passenger side in front of the door. Can anyone tell me what color these are, and exactly WHERE they are?
    I also don't quite understand the trimming on the actuator. What does it hit, and what part do you trim?
    Thanks

9. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    You have to trim the block so that it doesn't interfere with the handle mechanisms. I didn't do this at first and then discovered my handle wasn't working properly, so the tailgate didn't shut.

Here's the pic showing where I trimmed. Not much needs to be trimmed.

TailgateLock.jpg

Actually, this was the first bit of trimming I had to do. There was more trimming on the other side I had to do for the handle mechanism.

10. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    I believe that you access power under the driver's door sill cover. Several good pics in this thread of this area uncovered and showing which existing wires to tap into.

The only reference to "passenger" is that you want the tailgate to only open with a double-tap on the key fob. It should also open with the driver's door unlock button on the inside of the door.

As you know, one tap on the key fob only opens the driver's door by design to minimize wear on the other locks. You want your tailgate lock on the second circuit (double-tap) with the passenger door, for instance.
    Again, you access the existing wiring under the driver's side door sill.

11. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    Beaver

Beaver Member

Member:
    Kootenays, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2012 doublecab long box 4x4 SR5
    This is exactly what I want. One question though. Will I get the long Beeeeeep if my tailgate is open and I lock my doors? I'm thinking not because I haven't seen any feedback to the truck telling it that the tailgate is open. I ask because during the winter I'll be driving around with a sled deck in the back of my truck and the tailgate open like this...

[​IMG]

Thanks.

12. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    I have just installed mine, and you are correct: you won't get the long beep if you lock the truck with the tailgate open, since there are no sensors to tell the truck the tailgate is open (unlike for the doors). I frequently use it with the tailgate down and a bed extender, and have no problems. Happy sledding!

13. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    cmoschip

cmoschip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Off topic but related.

I just bought a used Leer cap with keyless entry. It has a standard solenoid on the lock with two wires to connect. I'm sure just like these tailgate locks, it locks, then unlocks when the polarity is reversed. Can I use the same wiring as the Dynolock does? Am I correct in assuming that the two wires that are described at the beginning of this thread send a one set of polarity when locking and then reverse themselves? So I can use them without adding a complicated setup with multiple relays?

Thanks!

14. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    racepet

racepet Member

Member:
    Beverly Hills
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner DC SR5 Debadged
    Bakflip G2, Dynolock, AFE filter, Charcoal removed Bilstein 5100 @2.5" PC AAL 2.00", mudflaps removed. 285 BFG KO's
    I installed Dynolock on new truck around new years and just noticed I cannot open the left side passenger door from the inside (like a child lock). Havent been to dealer yet. Do you guys think this is related to the Dynolock install?

15. Mar 2, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Whiplash777

Whiplash777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Blue Double Cab Off Road
    Side steps, DRLs, DynoLock
    Good morning CMOS,

I would test it first with a quick connect directly to a 12V battery (just to be sure it's still functional), but in theory, and as long as it truly is a standard power lock solenoid, you should should have no issue tieing it in to the existing wiring for your dyno-lock.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

16. Mar 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    Whiplash777

Whiplash777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Blue Double Cab Off Road
    Side steps, DRLs, DynoLock
    If the door opens from the outside, then the power door lock is not engaged, so it would be unrelated to the dyno lock install. Have you checked the child lock switch on that door (the rear doors do have child locks on the Tacoma)? If the child lock is not engaged, a trip to the dealer/shop may be in order.

17. Mar 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
  18. Apr 4, 2012 at 2:29 AM
    rob_s

rob_s Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    This is inline with what I want to do. Ideally to me it would all be controlled separately with a Viper or other remote-start alarm so that I could unlock the tailgate and topper without necessarily unlocking the rest of the truck, and vice-versa.

19. Apr 16, 2012 at 2:31 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    I've had my lock for about two years and have had to open everything up several times to adjust the actuator as it was not engaging and not locking properly. Any suggestions. Is this why some shave the nylon block? Can someone post pictures of where to shave the nylon? Actuator works fine just does not engage lock. Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated.

20. Apr 16, 2012 at 3:38 AM
    Wrekreation

Wrekreation [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    roll top
    Entry #67 has the pictures of the nylon block being trimmed.

Products Discussed in

To Top