1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

E-Brake is Stuck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mendezvinner, May 19, 2017.

1. May 19, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    mendezvinner

mendezvinner [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vinner
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4
    Hey guys, so I just bought a new Tacoma and the E-brake is stuck on it! I cannot pull it out, I don't know if its jammed, seized up, or broken. You guys have any tips on what my steps should be towards this problem?? Maybe I can spray something under the truck to free it up?! Thanks!

2. May 19, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    robupstateny

robupstateny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lunar Mist Tacoma DLX
    Gray wire mod, Gentex 177 mirror, cupholder from @bradrn22, custom dog seat., AJT Design shift knob., Cb install
    Here is a break down of the e-brake system. Thought it might help.

[​IMG]

3. May 19, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Get under the rear and see if you can pull/push on the lever(s) at the rear brakes (where the cable comes out and attaches to the brakes). It will help you determine if the cable itself is stuck, or the brake mechanism.

You might just need a hammer and some WD40 to knock some rust free.

If the lever is seized, you'll need to open up the brake drums and see what's going on inside.

ControlCar likes this.
  4. May 19, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    There are lots of places on the emergency brake system that can cause it to sieze, as mentioned above start at the back and work your way forward and buy lots of wd40 or the penetrator of your choice. I think Toyota engineers must have been a bit hungover when they designed that system, too many places where something can go wrong.

5. May 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    Stutely

Stutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Central IL
    Vehicle:
    99 Xtra/3.4/5 speed/SR5/TRD/4x4 Burgundy "Ron"
    Mine were seized at the brakes themselves, in that the levers were both rusted on their pivot axles. There's a kit by Dorman for 30 something bucks with new levers, rubber boots, springs, etc. Mine was also rusted at the mid-way connecting point. The lever and spring there were both really rusted. A replacement lever was absurd so I've just wire brushed it clean and will be reinstalling once I get that point of putting my truck back together (currently rebuilding the frame). I had the Dorman kit installed before I took my truck apart, and it made a huge difference.

6. May 20, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    there is two parts to the E-Brake cable. You must know which one is seized. First, check the lever on the rear drum brakes. The pivots can be rusted solid or broken

There is a lever under the cab, driver's side, on the frame, where both part of the cable attach to. Check if it is not broken or if there is anything abnormal with it. If not, pull your e-brake and if this lever moves the front part of the cable is good. Also, check the adjustment, as there is a screw and a nut going through this pivot, at the tip of the rear cable

Then check the part that goes above the rear differential and pull the brake. If you don't see it tighten and loosen, that means your rear cable is seized

You're saying that you can't pull your ebrake at all, so it must be pivots on the drums or the pivot under the cab, or your cable is badly seized somewhere

Also, not using the e-brake causes it to seize, so remember to use it often to prevent it from seizing again in the future :)

bowyer2002 likes this.
  7. May 20, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    JonathanH

JonathanH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Southern Maryland
    Vehicle:
    11' DCLB
    This will help also.
    upload_2017-5-20_10-48-11.jpg

8. May 23, 2017 at 5:20 AM
    bowyer2002

bowyer2002 always tinkering

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco SR5 D-cab 4WD
    OME 882s, OME shocks all around and OME Dakar spring packs, ARB, Warn 8000, ARE shell, Custom rear bumper w/ reciever, 5-235/80R17 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on FJ wheels, grey wire mod, Hi-Lift, Hellas, Red-Line hood lifters, Scion radio, sliders, Safari snorkel & LED Ditch lights on CBI mounts.
    I need to do this too!

9. Feb 27, 2022 at 3:06 PM
    cottonbroker

cottonbroker Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD extended cab
    Just dug into my break drums recently. Checked my e-brake. It was completely seized at pivot arm inside the boot on the back of the back cover plate. Inside part 47628. The arm is shown as 47624. Its easy to check, you can just get on the back side of the drum and try to move the arm that the e-brake cable hooks in coming across from the differential. No amount of wd-40 is going to get it free.

[​IMG]

Steves104x4 likes this.
  10. Feb 28, 2022 at 4:08 PM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    You have a steel pin going through a Alloy bracket .

If the parking brake goes unused they seize up most times I cut the brackets apart clean up the Bell cranks install new pins and Bell crank brackets.

Never Seize going back together use the parking all the time the truck is parked .

It keeps the rear shoes adjusted up.

I keep the pins and Bell crank brackets on hand.

11. Feb 28, 2022 at 4:09 PM
    GlitterGulch

GlitterGulch Freedom Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Marcos
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB / 93 Pickup race truck (sold)
    Beef Supreme
    Spit on it

12. Feb 1, 2024 at 8:07 AM
    cstogner

cstogner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The e-brake/parking brake must have been designed by the same idiot that designed the spark plug access for V-6 Highlanders making plug change by the dealer at ~$700. I sprayed some anti-corrosion on the cable where it enters the brake assembly and it now works. Somehow the maintenance crew at my Toyota dealer who does my oil/filter changes somehow neglected to tell me that lubrication is needed on this e-brake assembly. They certainly know how to find other things to sell you when you are going in for maintenance.

Products Discussed in

To Top