1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

E-brake light staying on...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by burtonboards32, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Jun 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Recently in my 2006 regular cab 4x. The ebrake light has been staying on when I disengage the brake. Is this common with ebrakes? Is there a simple adjustment that can be made to keep this from happening? It does not affect the truck but it has really been aggrivating me having another squeek, squeel, or unnecessary light every week.

2. Jun 28, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    nashi

nashi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport
    4x4, Short Bed, Entune, Bed Step, Bed Extender, Cat Back Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry Filter
    check your brake fluid level and verify your brakes are not close to needing replacement. Had a similar issue with my '94 pickup.

3. Jun 28, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    I believe the light comes on to indicate a brake issue. I would check the basics and it that didn't clear it, take it in to be looked at.
    I had a Mazda pickup years ago that had that indicator...it was a wiring problem with the ABS.

4. Jun 28, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Check your rear brakes....make sure the shoes are in good shape, they're wearing evening (top to bottom) and the ebrake mechanism is functioning properly. If the shoes are good, the mechanism can often 'freeze up' along with the pull cable itself. Sometimes the ebrake cable needs to be adjusted as the cable gets too much slack in it.

I have a writeup on how to do it on a 1st gen...with the pull handle. But I'm not sure how the foot operated ebrakes are adjusted.

5. Jun 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I would check your brake fluid level. The brake light will come on if your brake fluid drops below a certain level, which also would indicate either a leak (unlikely) or that your brake pads/shoes have worn down and need to be replaced. Most likely you need to have your front brake pads replaced as the rears do not wear nearly as fast as the fronts (just a quick guess anyway). Once you replace the pads the caliper pistons will be pushed back in and the fluid will return to brake reservior and the brake light will turn off.

Please do not just fill the reservior to turn off the light, I hate when I work on a veh someone has done that to cause when you do replace the brakes it makes a huge mess.

Also, if you had an ABS wiring problem your ABS light would be on, not the brake light. (answer for previous post to your question). So this is not why your brake light is on.

6. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Low brake fluid is either a leak or your shoes are needing to be replaced. Don't add more fluid unless you are leaking brake fluid. Adding more fluid and then replacing the shoes, you will have to suck it out cause you will be pushing the pistons back in causing the fluid to over flow. Also another cause is your e-brakes are engaged.

7. Jun 29, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

Products Discussed in

To Top