1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eagle Scouts: Check-In!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by geekhouse23, Dec 17, 2015.

?

Are you an Eagle Scout?

1. Yes

77.9%
  2. No

12.8%
  3. I just buy the popcorn

9.3%
  1. Dec 17, 2015 at 4:06 PM
    BotoSlap808

BotoSlap808 JAHblessed

Member:
    Kaneohe,HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 sport DCSB
    Does being a Royal Ranger count? Close enough to scout haha

2. Dec 17, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    i dont even buy the popcorn.

3. Dec 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    cosgrc

cosgrc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    OME Lift, 887, Dakars
    1995 Eagle here

4. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:09 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Thank you John. Feel blessed every day - even when those two are trying to kill each other. :rolleyes:

Acerwin likes this.
  5. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:32 PM
    youu_whoo_whoo

youu_whoo_whoo Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma TSS 4x4 DCSB
    Remove Mudflaps, Ultragauge, Tacodane LED Bedlights.
    I am an eagle scout. I also earned 2 eagle palms. My most notable trip was Philmont by far.

geekhouse23[OP] and SMKYTXN like this.
  6. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:46 PM
    Sdtrueblue

Sdtrueblue Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Markie B
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Sport
    6112’s/5160’s Snugtop Rebel NTG’s 265/70/17
    No Eagle Scout here, but earned Star (and very proud of it) in the mid-late 80's. This thread just made me want to google my old troop 502, North East Georgia Council. Strange thing is, that troop is now located in Pineville, NC!

WTH!.. My old troop # switched states?!?
    o_O

7. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    No, but my two sons are.

GARSHA91 and melikeymy beer like this.
  8. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    Acerwin

Acerwin The unNORM NORM

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tundra
    :boom:

SMKYTXN[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 17, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    MKW

MKW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 RC 4x4
    OME 3" lift MK6 wheels 285 Fierce MTs & 4.88s!!
    I was a US Marine. Does that count for anything??

10. Dec 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    melikeymy beer

melikeymy beer Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    1972. OA and Pine Tree. Attended the national jamboree in Idaho where Bob Hope entertained the troops.

Project was organizing a scout troop for the mentally handicapped. Good memories brothers.

SMKYTXN likes this.
  11. Dec 18, 2015 at 12:55 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    Hell yea it does :cheers:

Acerwin likes this.
  12. Dec 18, 2015 at 1:36 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    After watching my brother in law earn his kid the ES rank, I'm not so sure I can be sold on how great of an achievement this award is. This is just my opinion and I truly hope it is not the norm.

That kid was not allowed to do anything on his own growing up. The kid did grow up to be a fine adult. Pretty normal once he left the nest. I'm sure the ES award helped him to some extent.

Rattletrap66 likes this.
  13. Dec 18, 2015 at 3:19 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory My member is well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Earned Eagle in 2003, when I was seventeen.

Project: Cleaning, de-brushing, and replanting indigenous black sage at Eaton Canyon Nature Center in Altadena.
    Notable trips: Overnight backpacking trips at least once a month in southern California, Philmont (twice), every summer we'd do a week-long backpack in the eastern Sierras.

I was in Cub Scouts as well. I bounced around from Troop 92 to 546, but then all of our old Cub Scout friends got together and formed our own troop (118). Two of the most important tenets of our troop were (1) that it was a boy-run troop and (2) an emphasis on the outdoors and backpacking. We felt that our previous troops did not place enough responsibility with the boys to run meetings, organize trips and events, and train younger scouts. Some troops have adults that run everything, and the boys are just along for the ride.

Also, we felt that quite a few troops spent WAY too much time primping for Camporee and trying to score the most points (buying all the scouts the same tent and organizing them in lines, pre-building timber/lashing impressive entryway structures and trucking them in, cooking for the boys on kitchen chuckwagons, etc.). We had the most fun by simply going backpacking once a month in the San Gabriels, Los Padres, or Sierras. We learned a lot by burning our own dinners.

Lastly, we had an especially high concentration of boys that Eagle'd. We did not tolerate merit badge mills or helicopter parents that tried to do everything for their kid (doing requirements and projects for them, packing their backpacks, etc.) We were a pretty small troop, no bigger than 25 scouts at our largest. If I recall correctly, just over half of us made Eagle before we eventually dissolved. 2 or 3 younger kids that were still left went to nearby troops, but they said it wasn't the same. Hell, our old troop members had a higher volunteer turnout at their Eagle projects than their current troops. We were just a very close group of friends, and our support for each other was awesome- which is why we had a great Eagle rate. Several of my very best friends today were friends that I grew up with in scouting- and we still spend time together in the outdoors; backpacking, off-roading, snowsporting, etc.

I feel that if more troops were like ours, kids would feel differently about scouting. Our group was small, dedicated, and purposeful. As soon as we felt that the troop's goals were reached, we decommissioned it. To be sure, starting a troop and building the infrastructure from scratch was a difficult thing, but worthwhile. Too many troops these days seem to focus on increasing their huge size and long tenure, maintaining unwieldy inventory, and pushing scouts through the mills.

Scrappy kids can do a lot with secondhand backpacking tents and stoves from REI, their boots, and troop parents that support their creativity.

14. Dec 18, 2015 at 3:49 AM
    Acerwin

Acerwin The unNORM NORM

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tundra
    Haha I know how that is buddy! My two are always trying to kill each other

HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 18, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    melikeymy beer

melikeymy beer Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Absolutely. Thanks for your service. The Marines I hang out with respect the scouting culture for instilling service, patrotism and an honor code in our kids. Like when we would raise the American flags at the cemeteries on veterans day. Some of them have encouraged their sons to become involved in scouting for those reasons.

Plus when we are camping I can start a great fire without using flamables. :bananadead:

Cazzwell, ecoterragaia and SMKYTXN like this.
  16. Dec 18, 2015 at 6:33 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    Our troop was great because of two men. Don Blier and Rob Ross. Both were veterans of WWII. They were scoutmaster and assistant for over 20 years, trading off positions every year. It was a standing joke that no one knew who was actually scout master that particular year. These men dedicated every Monday night for meetings and at least one weekend a month for outside activities, usually camping. They taught woodscraft, told stories, held informal, non-denominational religious ceremonies in the woods when camping, and generally were like a second and third father to every boy in the troop. When they finally retired, the troop went to hell. They were both great men, and I am proud to have known them.

llibrm likes this.
  17. Dec 18, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    MKW

MKW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 RC 4x4
    OME 3" lift MK6 wheels 285 Fierce MTs & 4.88s!!
    Yes, I have great respect for the Scouts, especially Eagle Scouts. It's a pretty big deal.

18. Dec 18, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    Just thought of a funny story, related to scouts. As per usual, I learned to tie knots in Boy Scouts. I learned well, and it usually falls to me when something needs lashed down or strung up. Well, as I got older, I started camping with a bunch of High School buddies, and it has continued to this day, some 30+ years later. Five guys in the woods for about a week, with the typical drunken behavior of 20somethings with no women around. We always put up this big army surplus tarp over the campsite.

One year, I started making mead. Honey wine, but it had a kick. I started drinking almost as soon as I got to camp that year, and was well lubricated as evening fell. Then next day, I was noticing the tarp, and how it was put up with the correct knots, and everything was properly adjusted. I asked my one friend who had tied the knots the night before. He just stared at me. I asked again, thinking that he hadn't heard me. He replied, "you did it." I had learned those knots so well I could do it even when I was so drunk I couldn't remember!

Cazzwell and melikeymy beer like this.
  19. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 [OP] The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Well, in the interest of keeping things updated..I wonder how many of you are in here:

73409b56ad5012c8d30e0693bc752bed_27e7a87491520ffbde7b0285c575796f9cf3507e.jpg

MarX likes this.
  20. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:12 PM
    THE CALICO

THE CALICO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Black 2014 TRD SPORT ACCESS CAB
    I feel like I ignore all the emails from NESA so I'm guessing I'm not. Lol

geekhouse23[OP] likes this.