1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

East Tennessee Ride

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by TacoSupremeo, May 13, 2017.

1. May 13, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    TacoSupremeo

TacoSupremeo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    anyone on here in east tn (greater knoxville area)? im getting the itch for a ride, nothing hardcore, just some offroad time.

i used to be an underground coal miner and worked in Campbell, Anderson, Scott and Claiborne counties, several good mountain roads come to mind, these used to be access roads i traveled to work in years past, they have been mostly gravel with some steep sections, many are rocky and have rutted out making decent challenges, but nothing that cannot be handled easily with 4wd, i traveled a good part of one tonite with only diff lock engaged (no 4wd). the main trail starts in the Caryville, Tn area referred to as "Red Ash" and continues to the top of Caryville Mountain where it meets a paved road back. it goes directly past 4 mine sites that have been reclaimed (US Coal #10, #14, #6 and #4). its a good possibility to see some Elk on this trail.

i figured there might be others that would want to have a nice day ride. if so, post up and we can nail something down.

2. May 14, 2017 at 4:55 AM
    Harvo

Harvo Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    I live in Cleveland TN. south of you. Been to Windrock and Royal Blue many times. Never heard of where you were specifically though. It sounds pretty cool. I really dig finding old mine sites, mining equipment and old TVA stuff out in the woods. Next time we head up that way I'll send you a message. I looked up Red Ash and Caryville mtn. and got a bunch of info on Haunted coal towers. Do you mind saying where in Caryville that the road you took starts? I'd like to look it up on a map.

Also... saw your post on KNoxoffroad. The TWRA permit is the one you get to go into (for example) Roayal Blue right? Not the same as the Coal Creek Permit? Do you need one of those as well for this area?

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    blackcloud08 likes this.
  3. May 14, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Good to hear from you! The area i am talking about could be considered a part of royal blue, if you drive north on 25w past the shoneys at the caryville exit about a kile or two, youll find red ash baptist church the trailhead is about 100 yards past the church on the left, it crosses a RR track then there is a parking lot people park trailers and unload their atvs at.

Yes on the riding permit, if you have a royal blue permit, youll be fine... this is no way associated with windrock.

4. May 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    charles.headlee

charles.headlee Well-Known Member

Member:
    East TN
    Northbound I-75 was closed and detoured about a year or two ago, didn't the detour go close to this? This was a nice area, and I think we've only made it back there once since then. I need to get a permit, the gravel roads in the smokies (that aren't closed) are getting a little old given the traffic I have to fight.

5. May 17, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Yes, that should be the general area your thinking about. Walmart in Jacksboro sells permits there. I need to get one myself.

6. May 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    charles.headlee

Member:
    East TN
    There's a couple trails on IronJeep that sound like this: http://www.ironjeep.com/westroyalblue.php

I think we're going up Sunday. Family seems interested in seeing elk.

This is just a WMA riding permit on top of a sportsman hunting permit right?

7. May 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF
  8. May 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    That is exactly it. Good deal. I wont be able to come along this sunday, but let us know how it goes. I havent got my permit yet, but i am planning on just getting the small game/sportsmans permit... it should suffice.

9. May 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    charles.headlee

Member:
    East TN
    Drove around the area this afternoon. Didn't see much, but the trails are in good shape compared to sundquist. I need a better map I can print out. Using a layer I found to add to Google maps, and it dies when you lose service.

10. Sep 7, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    TacomaTidefan

TacomaTidefan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 Red Tacoma
    I'd like to do a ride in East Tennessee sometime, I've always thought it was beautiful there. I couldn't do it on the third Saturday in October though, I'll be busy watching the Tide roll over the Vols!!! lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top