1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Easy Bike rack for the bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elutheros, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    elutheros

elutheros [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Copperas Cove, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Crew Cab
    Bike rack above bed Locking Fuel door
    I thought some of you might be interested in a way to mount bikes above the bed without spending hundreds of $$. I just took an old Thule rack for a vehicle with rain gutters and disassembled the gutter clamps, then bent the lower edge back 90 degrees. Before you do the next steps, loosely assemble your whole rig with bike carriers and sit it in the rails of the truck, then put a bike in place to make sure you get it set up the way you want it. Mark where the feet will sit on the rails with a permanent magic marker. Then, I took the metal rails from the bed off and drilled holes through the Thule assembly and the rails to match. Replace the rails and bolt the Thule feet to the rails using lock washers---tedious job because of the confined space, but not too difficult. You need a set of load bars over 53 inches long--and longer is okay. slide the load bars through the Thule feet and put the clamp back together without the outer gutter clamp--the tightening knob/lock will be on the inside of the bed. A spacer under the knob would be helpful because it does tend to hit the inside of the foot assembly. Crank the knobs down and put your bike carriers on the rails. Presto, a primo bike carrier. Overhead Clearance required with my bike on it is just over 8 feet. There are lots of these old Thule rain gutter clamp assemblies available cheap. Road tested over 1000 miles now and it works great. Hope the pictures explain any ambiguity in my instructions.

fruita 124.jpg
    fruita 122.jpg
    fruita 126.jpg
    fruita 127.jpg

2. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Very cool! Welcome to TW!

3. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    that looks very neat.....good job and welcome

4. Oct 7, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Nice work! And sweet looking rig too. Nice taco also.

5. Oct 7, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Very nice bike! Welcome to TW.

6. Oct 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    How stable is that Thule setup with a 30lb rig? Does the bike sway to the side at all on turns or bumps?

7. Oct 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    elutheros

Member:
    Copperas Cove, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Crew Cab
    I drove it to Denver and back in the past couple weeks (1000 miles one way) in some moderate winds and on some 2 lane back roads. It is very stable--a little side to side movement which is normal with the upright bike holders from Thule. Nothing came loose and I'm quite happy with the strength of the attachments.

8. Oct 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Love'n it! We're doing a long road trip in early Dec. up to Ray's Milwaukee and would love to do a similar setup so gear could be stored underneath. Ive seen bed covers with similar setup mounted above and that would be great. I just haul too much stuff to mess with a bed cover.

9. Oct 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Denver trips to ride a specific area, or just taking the bike along for the ride? Ellsworth looks set up for typical trail/xc, am I right?

Oh, and thanks for serving!

10. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    looks good man

11. Oct 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    elutheros

Member:
    Copperas Cove, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Crew Cab
    Rode Lair of the Bear the first night there--descent in the dark! Then we did a road trip to Fruita/GRand Junction for some more exciting/challenging terrain. I live at low altitude, so I was definitely "challenged". I built the bike as a light all mountain rig. Lived in Germany for almost 14 years, so we had a lot of choices. French Alps, Switzerland, Scotland/England/Wales--it's all fun. Now in TX I'm looking for some lighter XC wheels since there is very little steep technical riding here.

12. Oct 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    wow! you've ridden some primo stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top