1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Easy oil change.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adam2180, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Or remove the paper-thin OEM skid plates and get real ones with a hole already cut. Yea many ways around it.

Wonder if the cartridge-type filter still has bypass- and anti-drainback valves built into the design somewhere.

2. Jun 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    LEBM

LEBM Thread Killer

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO 6MT Midnight Black
    Only problem with the Fumoto valve is that the threads extend higher into the pan and likely doesn't allow some of the old oil or anything else that may be settled into the bottom of the pan to drain out. For those that are on the OCD side about oil and oil changes, this could cause their heads to spin off.

3. Jun 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Damn, I wanted a 2015 4Runner until I saw that you have to drop the skid plate to change the oil

4. Jun 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Easily solved with + cut on the top of the threads to allow the oil to drain.

And really guys, are you that lazy to get under your truck to pull the drain plug.... its much better than pulling the oil out the dipstick hole as you will wash all the sediment out with use of the drain plug.

5. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Anti-Drainback is a non-issue on a top-feeding filter like the 2.7, classic small block Chevy, etc... The drainback becomes an issue on side-mounted and inverted filters. Many vehicles have had bypasses built into the mount in the past, wouldn't be a big deal for Toyota to include one on the cartridge filters. On the old SBC (they ran cartridge filters until '68 or '67) the bypass was in the pump.
    Ya... some tend to flip out about it, but after changing my oil and driving for two days, the oil on my dipstick is perfectly clear... there is not a significant amount left.
    We aren't discussing draining... we're discussing the filter change.
    The Tacoma 4.0 uses a spin-on on top of the engine. Easy peasey.
    The Tundra, FJ, 4-Runner, and most other new Toyota engines (something to look forward to with the 2015/16 Tacoma redesign) use a cartridge filter, moved back to the bottom of the engine, and requires an (inexpensive) special tool as well as removing the skit plates to access it.
    Bingo. No need to cut the threads all the way off... just a simple sawcut through the top few threads provides a path.
    +1
    Those are designed for marine applications where the dipstick tube MUST go all the way down because of the lack of access to the bottom of the pan.
    On vehicles, the dipstick tube only needs to go down far enough to ensure that the dipstick does not make contact with and get wrapped around the crankshaft. It can stop 6" above the bottom of the pan.. and does on some engines.

If you're going to use the dipstick tube on any non-marine engine, measure what comes out and make sure that it is close to what you should be getting out.

6. Jun 15, 2014 at 4:58 AM
    molimelight

molimelight Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    Before I put mine in, I cut four slots into the threads about 1/8". The oil was just dripping slightly when I put it in and continued to drip after I tightened it down, indicating that the valve wasn't interfering with the last of the oil dripping out. I'm OK with it and I've been known to be OCD about some things. :D

7. Jun 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    That is a problem with the tube so I wadded up a shop towel around it while I worked on the rest of the change and then pulled it off an hour or so later. Didn't notice any oil drips on my driveway afterwards.

8. Jun 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    daveh43

daveh43 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    New Jersey
    Where do you guys put your oil afterwards?

9. Jun 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie

I use it as marinade for my steaks mostly, sometimes I take it to advance or the like for recycling

10. Jun 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    LOL!

I know some guys burn it in their Diesel engines. I used to put a quart or so of 2 stroke oil into every tank on my Duramax, but never the used oil.

I take it to Autozone. Any business that gets more than a certain percentage of their revenue as oil or performs oil changes has to accept used oil for recycling at no charge.
    Walmart, Iffy-Lube, auto parts stores, etc... Places like Target, Dollar General, and the grocery store sell oil, but not enough of it to be required to take old oil.

11. Jun 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    I didn't know that?

12. Jun 21, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I think it's a Federal EPA law, applying to all states, not positive though.
    Check with the place where you buy your oil.

Even if it's not law, most mechanic shops will accept limited quantities from private individuals... check with the chain stores like Iffy Lube first, they are least likely to refuse your 6 quarts and filter. Companies actually BUY their used oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top