1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Easy trail Runs Around Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by cartter469, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Dec 12, 2020 at 5:57 PM
    cartter469

cartter469 [OP] A College kid who went broke for a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Sliders; Audio; Bajas; 285/75 Falkens; Elka 2.5's; Icon Rxt
    Hey guys recently got myself a 17 TRDOR and I'm looking to get out and hit some trails. The smart thing to do would obviously not go alone being inexperienced, and stock(for now). If anyone ever wants to do some shorter and pretty simple stuff please send me a message.

ps. Right Toyota in Scottsdale put some cheap ironman summer tires on there. They'll be gone soon just deciding whether I want to lift it or not before getting wheels and tires.

tacotoe likes this.
  2. Dec 12, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Bump. And there are plenty around down there. It's been so long since I moved that I don't recall many we used to go on. Somehow a back way to Bartlet lake I believe. Other places like Sheeps Bridge. There's a place North, that is a cool off road trail used a lot by Jeep tour businesses but anyone is allowed. My cousin has been on several with friends shes made on Tundra forum.

3. Dec 12, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Thanks for the insight. I Had looked at sheeps bridge. Did read a few reviews on alltrails.com that last mile or two is super rocky. Then again that site has people who have never done stuff other than a perfectly level fireroad. Anyone ever heard of the Ironman brand tires? First time for me.

tacotoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 12, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    I don't think that rocky section is terrible bad. I think that is what made my cousin most nervous though. Some of the rocks look quite large but think those can be avoided. It's for sure a low range deal and bumpy, but you'll definitely be going somewhere you wouldn't take the family sedan.

5. Dec 12, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    And remember a bump and scrape on the underside isn't going to kill it. Shouldn't anyway if your careful.

6. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    Iron man tires, I don't know of the quality. For all I know could be the latest and greatest. I wouldn't sweat getting new ones right away as long as the spare is in decent shape and holds air. You only need to get pucker nervous when you're on that said spare lol

7. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    Mr.Pink Taco

Mr.Pink Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Black
    Minor stuff.
    When I was out there in January, I did some exploring and found some trails off the N Sun Valley Parkway. Was traveling north and they were on the right side. Did not see any No Trespassing signs. Only signs that were there were Please Clear The Gate signs. It was fun and my coworkers enjoyed it.

tacotoe and cartter469[OP] like this.
  8. Dec 12, 2020 at 10:59 PM
    06RedComa

06RedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DC Sport
    Kings, Camburg 1.25" UCAs, Dakar leafs, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grille, All-Pro APEX Bumper, Kenwood DNX6960, Avid Sliders, SnugTop Rebel, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro atm
    Apache trail in apache junction is easy and has some decent views along the way. Starts out on asphalt and turns into a dirt road a little ways beyond tortilla flat.Takes you by the superstition mountains, up to canyon lake, continues out to tortilla flat, a popular stop. The road will eventually take you to roosevelt lake but the road looked closed around apache lake, not sure about the closure since i haven't done it in years. I would always take the road out to fish creek canyon trail, hike, and then turn around and head back. Most of the road will be asphalt and once you hit dirt there are some washboarded areas and then some narrower switchback spots closer to fish creek, which can get interesting with others and their trailers. Over all a car could do it, but it's a scenic drive with some dirt to test out handling and comfort zone.

cartter469[OP] and tacotoe like this.
  9. Dec 12, 2020 at 11:48 PM

241240 Sir Lurks-A-Lot

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 base double cab 4.0 MT
    Sat my fat rear end in it.
    Couple of my favorites:

1. Go north on hwy 87 to the Bush Highway exit, turn left after exiting. Good dirt road that drops down into the Pit of Despair (aka the sand hole that is Sycamore Creek). YMMV, but every time I've been there, there have been plenty of people around ready and willing to offer a pull to anyone who gets stuck.

2. Go to the Butcher Jones rec area on Saguaro Lake. There's a trail that heads north from the parking lot loop. It eventually splits up into a lot of trails, some of which you can take back south to off-road-access-only beaches on the lake. You don't need a Tonto Pass for off roading, you only need one if you are going to park at Butcher Jones (at least that was the case last time I was there a couple years ago.)

Had no problems at all in a bone stock rig with LT tires. Big part of the reason I like those two is they are mostly dirt and sand. Not endless rocks like some other Arizona trails.
    Sooo...many......rocks..........

10. Dec 13, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    TailHook

TailHook Oh, what shall we do with a drunken sailor?

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Utah! Get Me Two!
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR 4X4, 2007 Sequoia 4WD
    Bunch-o-goodies
    Bulldog Canyon...you'll need a $6 permit, though.

tacotoe and cartter469[OP] like this.
  11. Dec 13, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    aroma

aroma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snottsdale AZ
    Horshoe lake and bartlet lake area has plenty. Need a tonto forest pass.

cartter469[OP] and tacotoe like this.
  12. Dec 15, 2020 at 9:14 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Hey guys I'm looking to hit the dirt this Friday and I really wanna go checkout sheep's bridge and come back same way most people go north or back to 17 via bloody basin. Anyone interested in going with and showing a beginner the ropes? I know none of it is too difficult by any means but the reassurance of not being alone my first time out would be really nice.

tacotoe likes this.
  13. Dec 17, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    Sheeps is kinda long but easy, last 10 miles is a little bumpy but you should be fine. Leave early so you can enjoy more time at the destination. You can air down for the last portion to smooth it out a bit, but not required. Watch out for oncoming traffic and have fun!

Saw you did Montana Mt. so your totally fine.

tacotoe likes this.
  14. Dec 19, 2020 at 7:39 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Just did sheep's today and came back via carefree. That last 10 miles to bridge was a pain since I didn't air down but on the way back to carefree I really got to open it up and all I can say is 55 mph on dirt forest road with summer tires felt super sketch but super super fun too. Also accidentally channeled my inner ken block and got a tiny bit of air. Worked out perfectly though landing was super smooth didn't bottom out.(I Wasn't brave enough to do it again for a video to pull out a picture)

If anyone's got some Payson/Pinetop routes they've done that were pretty easy ish/not too rocky please link or msg! I really want to get into the forest some because those areas remind me of my days growing up in Washington.

Edit: Also seen some interesting stuff near lake pleasant so I would be interested in exploring around there as well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    tacotoe likes this.
  15. Dec 19, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    I'm stoked hearing your getting out to enjoy your new truck. That's just plain cool. Hope you found some friends to go along! I know it's easy for a guy my age to say, but been there done that, so be careful. Although never bad, death defying incidents, I'm glad I didn't get hurt or killed or one of my friends a time or two.

16. Dec 21, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    tacotoe likes this.
  17. Dec 21, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    I'm going to contact my cousin and ask her about a couple of places she's been lately. Both places I've been before long ago but don't remember the details. I'll get back later.

cartter469[OP] likes this.
  18. Dec 21, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    Ok cartter469, here are a few of the names she gave me; Devils Bridge, Chicken Run, and Broken Bow in Sedona. I liked the trail in Sedona but I would guess it would be snow up there now? I moved in 1991 so I don't recall what winter is like up there real good.

19. Dec 21, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Thanks for info. Ive seen devils bridge and Ill check it out next time im riding bikes up in sedona, Chicken Run and Broken Bow ive got no clue on lol. Broken arrow is an area in Sedona also so maybe that's what she meant.

20. Dec 21, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    My mistake, you are correct Broken Arrow. That trail offers some cool steps to climb, not extremely difficult but again, somewhere you wouldn't take the family sedan. I think there may be some places where you could end up with the desert pinstripes, but no worries they'll buff out...

Products Discussed in

To Top