1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eavesdropping, legal or not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by fletch aka, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Aug 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    Mac2118

Mac2118 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    I worked in IT for a few different companies. It's all legal. when you sign the agreements one of the covered things is that all e-mail to and from your work e-mail is property of the company and can be reviewed at any time. The same goes with all phone calls and voicemail.

2. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm not so certain that it is always legal for a business to monitor every call. Accourding to this source (http://books.google.com/books?id=-0imT19XjtEC&pg=PA200&lpg=PA200&dq=workplace+phone+monitoring+of+employees+legal&source=bl&ots=wKbB7bgwFN&sig=fqOHde3LNn06WHg6YsL_tD6EzXc&hl=en&ei=LX6dSomeFeTcmQe73am8Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=workplace%20phone%20monitoring%20of%20employees%20legal&f=false), they can monitor to protect their business (business-related calls) but they're required to cease monitoring once it has been determined that it's a personal call rather than a business one. They may take action about using the company property for personal use, but it may not be legal to listen into a personal conversation. Laws can also vary from state to state. Federal law would be the minimum restriction on a business owner. Your state may impose greater restrictions beyond the federal minimum.

Usually to be legal, they would have had to notify her by policy that all phone calls would be monitored.

3. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    It's completely legal. I actually moniter my sales reps phone calls all the time. I need to know their strengths and weaknesses to do my job correctly. I have a little button on my phone that says "call listen," I click it and then hit the proper extention. I am listening to them and they can't hear me. Do it multiple times a day, and yes we have used it to fire people. Hey I will do it right now, it is kind of fun.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top