1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ECG Fab issues

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by taco_jay, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Jan 27, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    taco_jay

taco_jay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Barcelona Red Tacoma TRD Off Road DBLCB SB
    6" lift, 33x17, King Shocks, JBA UCAs, rock sliders, front winch bumper w/winch, rear high clearance bumper, raised CAI, etc.
    Well it's been a full week since the partial delivery last week Friday. After phone call attempts everyday (which still go to a full voicemail box) and countless email messages with zero response from ECG Fabrication I have opened up a fraud case. Hopefully it works out and I get the other slider and hardware otherwise I indicated I would like a full refund. Hopefully that will light a fire under them anyway. They have 3 weeks for dispute I guess so could be a bit before anything happens.

-tj

Kevtelle670, 0210 and Coot83 like this.
  2. Jan 27, 2017 at 8:01 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Proud of you man for keeping yourself protected here. I would think you might hear something next week, but who knows with ECG fab. I still would hit up SOS and just explain what happened just to hear their perspective of what might of happened. I would think they would have a pretty honest opinion of ECG fab regardless which might give you some clarity about how ECG might respond if they do at all.

Coot

3. Jan 27, 2017 at 8:03 AM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    6" lift, 33x17, King Shocks, JBA UCAs, rock sliders, front winch bumper w/winch, rear high clearance bumper, raised CAI, etc.
    Thanks Coot that's a good idea. I will reach out to them today to get their take on the situation. I'd like to think I'm not the only person dealing with these issues.

-tj

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Feb 6, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Notes taken....

scottalot likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2017 at 11:36 AM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Well not much to report back yet. Case was opened via Paypal over a week ago and ECG has 2 more weeks to reply. So far not a single thing from them. Zero communication or response. Still have a single slider and no hardware. I did reach out to SOS Concepts and Eddy was definitely not impressed. Either way he said he could certainly send me the missing slider and hardware and provided me a quote so there is a plan B. The saga continues...

-tj

6. Feb 6, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Hopefully good or bad with how this plays out, that SOS might handle their distributors a little different in the future. Good thing though is it sounds like SOS has your back regardless.

Coot

taco_jay[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 6, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I was doing a little digging and it appears ECG was started in 2015 by a just graduated Alec Chamblee.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alec-chamblee

Now of course anyone at any age could run a sham of a business but I don't think this guy is off to a good start at such a young age. I'm guessing his lack of experience is showing or perhaps he's running the place into the ground. I guess it pays to know who you are doing business with.

BBB has little info on the place as well: https://www.bbb.org/raleigh-durham/...ast-grille-fabrication-in-raleigh-nc-90290209

I have dealt with a lot of crappy businesses in the past and I swear I should just go into business myself. I could do 10 times better with customer service.

Anyway I did check again with Paypal and they have until this Friday to dispute my claim but it will be at least another week or two to go through the rest of the process.

-tj

8. Feb 6, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    Thanks @taco_jay for keeping everyone up to speed. Great public service announcement.

taco_jay[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 8, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Eddy did mention that businesses like this basically make a one time (or repeat) volume purchase and then sell the products on their own; obviously at whatever discount. So from a distribution perspective I think it might be hard to control these types of factors unless you only do business with specific companies. In that case it kind of limits your potential to sell your product but on the other hand a poor distributor could certainly tarnish your reputation even though you really have nothing to do with their business practices. Horse a piece I guess. No different than a retailer like Amazon selling your product of course.

-tj

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Well for anyone still following I just received a full refund from Paypal. ECG did not even contact Paypal from what I can tell. I am now reaching out to SOS to have them get me the missing hardware and slider. While it will still cost me about the same I at least will be able to finish the project. For any future buyers my suggestion is do your homework and make sure you know who you are dealing with. When in doubt go with a reputable company. You will likely spend more but the peace of mind and customer service is always worth it in the end.

-tj

11. Feb 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I am still really surprised that there was zero communication for weeks. My guess is that he is running the place into the ground. Considering that you can still buy things on the website that are sold out makes me wonder if others are getting scammed. This could have been a much longer process had their Paypal account been empty too. I consider myself very lucky. If the website disappears in a few months I wouldn't be surprised either.

-tj

12. Feb 14, 2017 at 4:35 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Well TJ, it wasn't the most desired outcome to happen, but atleast it worked out marginally well. By your patience through your situation, hopefully others can now benefit from this knowledge. I am glad to have been informed from your experience to never look into these guys. Looking forward to hearing how the other slider goes from SOS!

Coot

taco_jay[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Feb 14, 2017 at 4:44 AM
    christhebassman

christhebassman Cheese head

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Litchfield park
    Vehicle:
    10 White Boosted
    The same with my grill. I have called and emailed numerous times. Never got a response out of them. My grill was supposed to ship end of last month. Still hasn't shipped out.

14. Feb 14, 2017 at 5:03 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    May be worth checking up on when you paid them if it was through paypal to make sure you are still in your dispute window. I find it a little interesting that they didn't even challenge paypal, as no company I have ever dealt with in any of my hobbies has ever dismissed a paypal dispute completely. I get the feeling they may already be running for the hills considering how there is no communication.

Coot

15. Feb 14, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    christhebassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Litchfield park
    Vehicle:
    10 White Boosted
    Ya I've gotten the same few emails over the course of two weeks saying awaiting shipment. It's annoying.

16. Feb 14, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Well I wish you luck. If you have been following the thread I would contact Paypal and get your money back as quickly as you can. Just my opinion. If there are more disputes Paypal might freeze their account so they cannot take money out ensuring it is there for other customers that are getting burned.

-tj

Coot83 likes this.
  17. Feb 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    A perpetually full voicemail, no inventory updating on website catalogs, and no product for extended amounts of time is a sign of a failing business.

I wouldn't wait to seek a refund for your grill. People like this make a habit of taking as much money in as possible with no intent to deliver, because the majority of people won't pursue any kind of legal action. In the end, the business fails and they have no conscience and a full wallet.

Coot83 likes this.
  18. Feb 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM
    taco_jay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I completely agree hence my recommendation that @christhebassman start the process now in hopes that he'll be able to get his money before Alec @ ECG takes the money and runs.

-tj

Coot83 and Toyko Joe like this.
  19. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    christhebassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Litchfield park
    Vehicle:
    10 White Boosted
    I'm about to dispute it. I'll spend the extra money with Homertaco

taco_jay[QUOTED][OP] and Coot83 like this.
  20. Feb 16, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    Drew_05Tacoma

Drew_05Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Unionville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab Tacoma 4x4
    Level
    I bought a grille from them awhile back. It shows up put together with zip ties and its broken now after about 8 months of use. Like $400 down the hole.

oh crap its him likes this.
To Top