1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Economics of DIY oil change

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Sido, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Two words: Time Savings.

In the time it takes you to drive ten minutes to a monkey-lube place, get your change done (est. 15 to 20 minutes, including wait, at a minimum), and drive ten minutes home, you've used at least a half hour, probably more.

In that same time period I can change my oil, grease my driveshafts, lube my front suspension, inspect my air filter and all under-hood fluid levels (except tranny), and rotate my tires.

I also like the peace of mind of knowing that if I fucked up, it's my own fault. Too many horror stories of drain plugs not being reinstalled, filter left off, wrong grade of oil, wrong amount of oil, fill cap being left open...the list goes on.

2. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Nice. :cool:

3. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

X2. It is much quicker changing it yourself rather than driving it to a shop.

4. Feb 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Fixed that for you.

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Yeah lol I have the shop foreman on it usually.

6. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:47 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    If it is a nice 70 degree day, the sun is shining. I do my own. If it is 20 degrees outside and a foot of snow I take it in.

7. Feb 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    The quality of the job being done is # 1 to me. As long as I'm physically capable to perform oil changes and tire rotations I'll be doing them myself. I actually enjoy it and kinda loaf along taking more time than needed. Keeps me in the garage and the wife and kidneys don't bother me on oil change day. :D

8. Feb 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    well..

jiffy lube down here charges around $80 for a full syn oil change.

fuck that.

9. Feb 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    Changing the oil on a second gen is ridiculously easy. You don't have to jack it up to get under it, and the filter is RIGHT THERE when you pop the hood. The whole job takes just a couple minutes. I'd feel lazy not doing it. Lol.

10. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    DaBears

DaBears Well-Known Member

Member:
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    10 trd sport
    I bought my truck new. Through the dealership it has a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as there is proof of the services done on time. 30$ an oil change well worth it to me.

11. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This, or a grease pen. Just something so I know it's a new filter.

12. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    Sido

Sido [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    Ok you guys convinced me, I did it myself last night. We aren't allowed to do any work at my apartment complex, but no one cares if you do it at night and don't make a mess. I went and got a Toyota filter from the dealer and a gasket for the plug (I noticed it didn't have one). The parts guy from the dealership was pretty rude, and unless you are buying a new transmission they don't really want to help you with the small stuff. Next time I'll get the filter online.
    I think King Kong tightened the drain plug and put on the filter, I had to get a special tool to get off the filter. I switched over to synthetic, so hopefully I don't have to do this again for a while. I made sure the drain plug was quite a bit looser, I want to be able to get it off next time, and I put the filter on by hand so I'll be able to get it off without a tool.

$40 for 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic oil, $7 for pan to catch oil, $7 for the Toyota filter, $10 for the filter grip tool, $1 for the plug gasket, $4 for an absorbent oil spill kit (in case I made a mess at the apartment). Not too bad, and I get a strange sense of enjoyment out of crawling around under my truck and getting dirty, it's kind of a hobby, so I'd say it was worth it.

13. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    watacomaguy

watacomaguy Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    I'd use Napa oil in anything but a new vehicle and that's just me being picky. If you get Napa Gold filters they are made by Wix. Wix makes a top of the line filter.

14. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

#1 - Jiffy Lube is owned by Pennzoil. Pennzoil oil filters are OEM'd for them by Fram.
    #2 - Endless stories of stripped drain plugs.
    #3 - A few stories of oil filter gaskets stuck to the block and blowing out
    #4 - A very few stories of forgetting to refill.

I bought my Taco from a local Chevy dealer. They used a "Microguard" filter.
    Quick trip to O'Reilly revealed that they stock it.... and PROUDLY display a graphic of the construction on the box. Yes, it's a Fram.
    The non-premium Champion Labs filters are not much better. Same design, but fiber endplates and a plastic core support (that has been known to collapse).
    Champion Labs non-premium filters include AC Delco, STP, Supertech, Champ, Deutsch, and may make some OEM.

So unless you spring for a Mobil-1 filter, you ARE going to get a shit filter from Wal Mart, Jiffy Lube, and likely most other "quick change" places and even some dealerships.

Toyota dealership, I would trust... but I would be sure to specify a Toyota filter.

And now you've blown your economy. That $19.95 oil change includes bulk oil and whatever cheap filter the service manager has decided they will use. It might be a Toyota filter, or it might be a Microguard or Fram.
    The moment you specify a part, the $19.95 is out the door.

By comparison, I use Mobil-1 oil. I pay about $28 for a 5qt jug. I buy 2 jugs, dump one in the engine, and top off with the 2nd one, so let's say that the 2nd jug will last 5 oil changes.... That's $168 for oil for 5 changes.
    I use Purolator Pure-One filters. They are about $6. That's $30 for 5 changes.
    $198/5= $40 for my oil changes. I know it's done right. I know it's a quality filter. It's a quality oil.
    I could run non-synthetic oil and cut that cost to $25 or so.

It's not only about money... it's about not wanting some minimum wage oil changer working on my vehicle.

15. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    http://www.partswebsite.com/1sttoyo...tid=10020&subcatid=20099&section=1&type=parts

Not sure if the link will work, but that's Titus-Will Toyota.
    $4 for the Toyota oil filter.
    Minimum shipping charge is, IIRC, $10, so buy a bunch. Air filters, cabin filters, oil filters, belts and hoses.....

You'll still need a tool to remove the filter. I use a cap wrench to break it loose. Then I slip a baggie over it so it doesn't run down the side of the block and trans lines when I break the seal.

On the drain plug... and what I am going to say is controversial....
    I really like the Fumoto drain valve. It replaces the plug with a ball valve.
    Taco's are low clearance, so get the one without the hose fitting. It all rides above the bottom of the crossmember so it is protected.

Some people are not comfortable with having a simple lever able to drain their oil... and I suppose if you have dirtbag "friends" that might be a concern. I've run these drain plugs since 2003 and have never had a problem. Wife's Rav4 is not so good on clearance, so I use the Fram Sure-Drain on hers.

OUCH!

Get the 5-quart jugs... should be under $30 for one.

16. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Even with my low sitting 5-lug I can do the change without jacking up using a creeper. With the Fumoto it is a pleasure. Oil filter socket and a 8 inch extension on the ratchet works great.

17. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    The price doesn't matter to me even though the truck will eventually wear out. To me, it's all about being in "the now". I want my truck to run well. I could care less if I spend extra money on the best oil and change it myself. In the long-run, I have found that the price is the same anyway. Maybe just a little more.

Products Discussed in

To Top