1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Economy - how has it affected your career/employer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Janster, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Jun 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Wow....we have never installed a video conferencing system. All these damn oil companies have Lear Jets and helicoptors. You see them taking off all the time. No cutback on travel seen here.

We're laid fiber to 34 miles Carlsbad (where I live) and now laying 75 miles past there to Hobbs. We'll pick up more customers and lease the spare fiber to places like Qwest and ENMR Plateau to provide back haul for their services too.

2. Jun 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    gotcha, so you got the shitty sweaty work up in drop ceilings. we use TelAid, Technical Innovations, Baker Audio (not so much anymore) and SCI electronics for our install vendors, which includes laying fiber. i assume you haven't heard from them since we are so far apart but i figured i'd throw those names out in case you had dealt or heard of them before

3. Jun 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Sometimes yeah. The design is way more fun than the install!!!

We use CCI out of Tularosa NM to lay our fiber. Other than that we do our own design, installs, and troubleshooting of systems.

4. Jun 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    well me and a couple co workers got laid off last year cuz i was the bottom of the barrel first year apprentice :/

then i got my job back at a canadian tire store until i moved to newfoundland for school. the economy hasnt really affected me until now. now that im coming out of school looking for work. its making it much harder to find work than what it was last year when i got the job in my trade.

im an electrical apprentice btw :)

5. Jun 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Are you actually getting out @ 20 or just keeping your eyes open to see what is what??

6. Jun 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    im 21, never felt the recession until september 09, im in college (bs business admin) and giving up on construction. i make 19 dollars an hr when i work. i put in 20 hours last month. im still with the same construction company but on call. everyday at 230pm i call to see if there is work for the next day. sometimes i get 3 months of work. sometimes 1 or 2 days out of the week of work. if i get a bank job or something else in the business field, it wouldnt even matter if i dropped down to 12 dollars an hr, id still be making more than i am right now through unemployment. my gfs such a go getter. i used to be as well but my motivation has been shot down due to being at home all day doing nothing. i feel like a loser boyfriend. im fixing my resume as we speak.

7. Jun 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    less hours

8. Jun 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    The military has been good to me and my family, I haven't really felt the affect of the economy, but have seen people who have. I plan on staying in for at least 20 years to get a great pension and medical, I'll be 38 by then which seems far away, we will see what the future holds.

9. Jun 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Hasn't affected it at all.

One of the unwritten benefits of joining the dark side.

10. Jun 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    FAR AWAY!!! It's only 3yrs!!!!

11. Jun 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    I'm a maintenance supervisor at a 500 unit apartment community. It's sad to see what has happened to so many people and there homes, you know...being forclosed on, but that very thing has kept the apartment industry going strong. That being said, I stay busy, there is always something to fix, A/C, plumbing, electrical, sheetrock repairs, garage doors being hit, gates getting run into, two pools and a spa to keep up with....along with other things. Keeps a team of six techs busy, including me.

12. Jun 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

lol, the dark side uh? damn med people....:mad:

actually, i'm like most other military people. haven't been "directly" affected at all. Actually made more money this year than any other (got love being a flier and getting all that yummy per diem:D).

however, it does suck when i go home to charlotte and catch up with all my old friends and see how everyone is doing. that being said, i'm one of the optimists that think things are slowly going back up.

13. Jun 1, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Heh, Pot and Kettle man :p

When the economy's poor, the 2 MICs (Military and Medical Industrial) are tough to beat for job security.

Come to think of it, they're tough to beat at any time. There will always be demand, no matter what the economy is doing. We're bankrupting the fuck out of this country together, but hey, we're employed.

14. Jun 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    lazaro

lazaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garry
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC BSP 4X4 TRD Off-road
    Stainless Nfab Steps painted black, Acces Tonneau cover, LED dome and map lights, Weathertech floor mats, EGR slimline visors, Wicked Flow 13 mufflers, ultragauge and 4X4 illuminated switch mod, receiver shackle from Timichi and Redline QL plus hood struts.
    The only thing that affects the medical field is the volume of patients that we are getting.:help: I am a nurse in the Transplant / Hemodialysis Dept. It has gone up to the point that we can barely keep up. Job security and all but it drains the hell out of the staff. :(

Going home on time is rare now. It is common that we have stay for an average of 2-3 extra hours just to cope up with the patient volume. Just this Memorial weekend we ran out of machines needed to dialyze patients in the ICU. The clinical coordinator had to call hospitals in the East corridor for additional machines. They just decided which patient gets the machine first based on their immediate need. (Looks like rationing healthcare isn't it?):eek:

Paywise, normally we got 3% to 6 % increase every year depending on performance. This year they pegged it at 3%. It sucks but we got a job and have opportunity to help our patients.

15. Jun 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    its high year tenure for me, I need to pick up E7 to stay in past 20.

Products Discussed in

To Top