1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ECT Normal or Power and MPG (3.4L only)?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by StAndrew, Mar 1, 2010.

?

Power or Normal and MPG (3.4L only)

Poll closed Mar 31, 2010.
  1. Normal (15-17 MPG)

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Normal (18-20 MPG)

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Normal (20+ MPG)

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Power (15-17 MPG)

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Power (18-20 MPG)

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. Power (20+ MPG)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew [OP] Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Ive found that ECT Power is easier to drive and actually gives better MPG than Normal (from ~15-17 MPG to ~18-19 MPG) and was wondering what everyone else drives with :).

2. Mar 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    The ECT settings affects shift points. So based on that fact, does the difference in shift points correlate to your finding? Does it make sense that the ECT Power setting equal better MPG? I would think not, but I haven't really thought it thru.. would appreciate your assessment.

3. Mar 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    pdxwhiteout

pdxwhiteout monster taco in the snow

Member:
    First Name:
    coty
    pdx
    Vehicle:
    monster tacoma
    3-inch body lift, 6-inch fabtech lift, 17-inch procomp black alloys wrapped in bfg 37s. trd v-6.
    ect mode raises shift points, widing torque bands, creating more power. this would normally indicate less mpg but depending on how you drive with this mode on compared to how you drive with it off you could see more mpg's based on your habbits. i see how you could feel like it would though because i find myself to more a heavey foot with it off. i rock it whenever im not cruising on the highway:D

4. Mar 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Ive found that the shift points are similar, if not the same, when driving with a relatively light foot. Because of this, driving with Power I can more easily control the shift points. It down shifts easily for acceleration and getting it to up shift just requires you to let off the gas a bit and ease back on. On Normal, its very difficult to get the truck to down shift and you usually end up lugging when trying to accelerate. This is most noticeable when accelerating onto a highway as the truck will shift into 4th at ~50mph. causing you engine to lug at ~1500-1900rpm’s.

Im just curious to see how other fair.

5. Mar 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    pdxwhiteout

Member:
    First Name:
    coty
    pdx
    Vehicle:
    monster tacoma
    3-inch body lift, 6-inch fabtech lift, 17-inch procomp black alloys wrapped in bfg 37s. trd v-6.

thats exactly what i mean by habbits.

its says right in the oweners manual that it raises shift points. however you said under light throttle they seem the same and they should. light throttle in ect would have about the same engine load(one the main pcm factors for when to shift up or down) as no ect heavey throttle.

i was a tech a lexus for three years and got these q's from customers all the time about the ect system, most would complain about poor mpg's though. probably because they hit the button and drive the piss out it! ah sorry, done venting. :rolleyes:

6. Mar 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD

Im just unhappy with how early the Normal mode shifts into 4th. When trying to merge, It destroys your MPG unless you crawl from 50-65ish (which is a quick way to get the finger in Va, if not a car quite literally up your ass). I also hate going through tunnels or over bridges (hills) when driving under 60ish as the truck slows down and even when you give it gas, it refuses to shift into 3rd.

Its is a good idea but poorly executed on the Tacoma IMHO:notsure:.

7. Mar 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    pdxwhiteout

Member:
    First Name:
    coty
    pdx
    Vehicle:
    monster tacoma
    i agree100%:D like i said i use it except on long highway drives. you just got to remeber they design the normal mode to be purely mpg minded at the expense of performance:mad:. they do this for consumer ratings and such, you know the deal. i like this thread though itll be cool to see what other say too.

8. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    I have no idea what kind of gas mileage I get, but I prefer running with ECT Power on. With the throttle 1/3 of the way down and just getting into the power band, it would shift down on me. That drove me nuts. Taking her out of overdrive (button on the side of the shifter) helped, but leaving it in the "power" mode is the way to go.

Matt

9. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    Wow, I always just drive in normal mode and the shift points would irritate me and I get about 15mpg. I gotta try power mode, can't hurt, lol.

10. Mar 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Sounds like y'all need to just trade for a stick shift!
    :eek: Sorry I had to say it.

11. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    wow it actually worked mileage went up a little normally around 250miles when fuel light comes on at 250 with a quarter tank to go. sounds weird i know gonna try it for a couple weeks to see what happens. i will post numbers when I fill up

12. Mar 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    my6

my6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    houston,texas
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner 2wd non trd
    i was shining/servicing my 04 prerunner today and started to wonder just what the ect switch was for. i opened up the owners manual and it's not even listed. i use my truck for work every day and put in at least 150 miles a day. i'm gonna try each mode and document the mileage results. i lost my heavy foot about 10 or 15 years ago and rarely break 75mph these days. i will post the results in time. df

13. Mar 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's a huge difference lol.. I can't imagine a different shifting pattern will cause that.. For what it's worth. I'll be using ECT power for my current tank.. I got around 18mpg on my last two fill-ups..

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    filled up again today checked mileage my average before 17.2 first tank 19.1 second tank 19.3. I checked it driving to work about 100 miles round trip lots of mountains drriving same speed 70mph max. told some guys at work to try it see what happens. now i feel like a dumb ass for buying a cat back and intake to gain milage and didnt gain any. I still want to change to electric fan but not for mileage anyone running one on a first gen

15. Mar 11, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    holishit.. I just did my first tank all on ECT Power and I averaged 19.8MPG.. up from the previous 18MPG.

Will do another tank to see if it holds true!

16. Mar 11, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I am intrigued. I get great gas mileage as it is - last all highway trip was around 21mpg - but I may have to give ECT a try. I think I have only turned it on once before, always thought its advantage was more for towing purposes.

17. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Im on my first tank with it on to see if I can get better mileage too. :)
    I hope so, I do go up hills quite often though...

18. Mar 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Wow it actually works! i got about 17-18mpg on this tank. that about a 2-3mpg upgrade. thats good!!! :)

Some of it highway, maybe 50-60% city.

19. Mar 13, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Just got back from a trip today - 286 miles. Left with a full tank, kept ECT on for the entire trip and filled up the truck when I got back to town. Looks like around 21.5mpg with ECT. Last time I took the same trip I averaged 21mpg. So an improvement of .5mpg - and I did have a bit of a head wind today. I did notice that Toy seemed to pull up the hills better and when passing on the interstate the engine seemed to be running at a slightly lower rpm. I did notice that when going downhill (on a curvy road) the truck seemed to be gaining speed much faster than usual - almost felt out of control.

20. Mar 17, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    I remembered to try this about 50 miles into my last tank but I figured I'd try it anyway. I got 300 miles to the tank and my mpg's went from approx 19.1 to 19.55, so there may be something to this. I also like the way the truck drives with it on.

Products Discussed in

To Top