1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ecu

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by prdltakid, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jun 11, 2010 at 1:48 AM
    prdltakid

prdltakid [OP] Dick Richards III

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Kaneohe, Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 5spd Tacoma
    Reprogamming an ECU. Whats involved? Hows it done? Can it be done at home in my garage or does it need to be done at a dealer?

2. Jun 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    75thrangertaco

75thrangertaco Sua Sponte! RLTW

Member:
    First Name:
    charles
    casper wyoming
    procomp 6 inch co lift ,305/55/20 xtreme a/t tires,4.88 gears ,,grill shell painted white billet inserts.Trd cat back ,
    you would need an obd 2 can b pass through device and laptop .about 5000 bux for a cheapie, and the software subscription through toyota is 1800 a year last time i checked. i have one but only have gm, ford and dodge subscriptions. take it to the dealer, 75 to 100 bux for a reflash.so to answer directly. yes it can be done at home.is it worth it? nope. second question. how is it done? the dealer downloads the latest software versions directly to there pass through scanner. straight from toyotas service website. its usualy by vin number as there are different emisions standards and equipment form truck to truck of the same years,ie federal versus california emisions. or auto versus manual.you get the point.anyway that software is then transfered to you ecu thru there scanner with the new paramiters and fuel mapping.the pcm is then automaticaly placed into a learn mode.so when you get it back it will act strange.the computer is trying to relearn cam/crank position. and also adjust to the way you drive. the more you drive it the better it will get.

Products Discussed in

To Top