1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eibach coils with Bilstein 5100's?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by commtrd, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Keith, when you use the 5100 front shocks they are designed to be used with your factory coils. A standard wound Eibach coil isn't compatible with the spring seat on the 5100's, only the factory coil fits. We might be able to get a product from ToyTec that uses the Bilstein 5100 strut and they put an adjustable spring seat compatible with the Eibach type coil and they have a couple of different coil rate choices.

This from a vendor in regards to a query about possibility of getting a set of 5100's already set up with the Eibach 16" / 600# coils. So I would not have to try to get access to a spring compressor to put them together. Any advice on a similar setup that anyone has used and is happy with? I installed the hellwig 1500# helper springs on the back today to help with towing stability and heavy loads in the back which kicked up the stern about another 1.5" or so. Now the truck is pretty much visibly not level. Also I want to eliminate body roll in turns. For what I use my truck for I don't need it lifted and don't want to change driveline angles any more than absolutely necessary. I don't think a couple of inches more in the front would hurt too much but I don't want to go any more than that.

Any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    Eibach's sit in the strut/shock the same way as the stock coil does. This is what they are designed to do. Since the 5100's are designed to work with the stock spring, they should be fine with the Eibach's.

The Eibach's work well in the stock TRD shocks, I have been running them for about 3 months and couldn't be happier.

3. Jun 5, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    sibanez

sibanez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camp Hill, PA & New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 SR5 XCab
    Leer camper Thule rack
    I have a set of 5100s and Eibachs assembled; they fit fine. I have no idea why they suggest these will work with stock shocks; if you search http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/ you'll find an excellent thread on a test FJ Cruiser that ran these on factory shocks. After a day of extensive wheeling, the springs had busted the shocks.

4. Jun 5, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    If you're doing serious offroading you should be upgrading your shocks with any new spring. Stiffer springs will put more stress on the re-bound dampening on the shock.Myself, I just hit the odd fireroad for mountian biking or hiking. So the stock shocks have been good and reliable.

5. Jun 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    After doing a lot of research and thinking about this I think I might just wait a while and get some good struts and the TC uca's. If I go into the front end might as well do the uca's at the same time. No problems using the TC uca's with minimal lift?

6. Jun 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
  7. Jun 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    sibanez

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 SR5 XCab
    Leer camper Thule rack
    You can run TC UCAs with stock shocks/springs - it will be fine.

To be honest, the 5100s with the Eibach Pro Kit springs is a better deal than that Toytec kit. The only thing you are really gaining is the ability to crank the coils. A 700lb/in coil is pretty heavy duty too; figure a stock TRD has 540lb/in coils and the Eibach Pro Kit is running at 620lb/in. Unless you have a pretty heavy duty bumper, that's going to be too much.

8. Jun 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Yeah probably right...thinking about those 700# coils and they are too much since I don't have any immediate plans to put any accessories on the front like a winch or bumper etc. Good advice. But I was wondering if the stock coils on 5100's effectively do stiffen up the front due to the stiffer valving? May be the best course to go with stock coils and the 5100's.

9. Jun 6, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    sibanez

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 SR5 XCab
    Leer camper Thule rack
    Well, if you leave the 5100s at the factory height, the ride will be firmer due to the more aggressive valving, but not too much. I ran a set on my 2002 Tacoma for a while and was pretty happy with them. I never used them for lift (went with Icons), but I imagine if you raised the spring perch at all it would stiffen up the ride. The other option is to run an OME setup with the light-duty coils (884 for 2005+ Tacomas). You'll get about an inch of lift and the spring is rated at 590lbs.

You can see the different coil spring ratings for the OMEs here: http://www.tacoma-upgrade.com/2009/...old-man-emu-spring-rates-and-lift-height.html

10. Jun 6, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Thanks for the link. Nice to find options to what I had been considering.

11. Jun 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Well I decided to get the 5100's and re-use the stock coils. If I set the pre-load to under 2" will this require an alignment?

12. Jun 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Probably a good idea. Firestone does a Lifetime alignment for about 150 bones....Pretty good deal.

13. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    When I get the new shocks installed, is it necessary to use the sway bar relocators or does it clear OK?

Products Discussed in

To Top