1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eibach vs. Ultimate: visual comparison

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BGrutter, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Oct 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    BGrutter

BGrutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    Alright, so here's my visual reasoning for planning on going for the ToyTec Ultimate lift rather than the Eiback/5100 setup. Please be gentle, I made the diagram with Paint, but I think it serves the purpose just fine.

Edit: I'm leaning toward the Ultimate Lift now.

Side note: I know that the Ultimate Kit sites a higher lift quantity, but I'm of the understanding that comes from the addition of a 1" top spacer (hence the 1"-3.5" total lift). I'm pretty sure the same thing could be done with the Eibach if needed, though I would likely only use the 1/2" DS and 1/4" PS.

Edit: Diagram updated to address confusion behind ToyTec collar.

(First) Stock Height (Bilsteins set to 0" or stock shocks w/ stock coil)
    (Second) 5100s (Bilsteins set to 2.5" w/ stock coil)
    (Third) Eibach/5100 (Bilsteins set to 0.85" w/ 1.6" lift coil)
    (Fourth) Ultimate Coilover (Bilsteins set to 0" and ToyTec collar set to 2.5")
    Suspension-Comp-1_98c42aedfc3167b7f9afd10fa90cd8e67f75bb9d.jpg

Edit: All analysis now flips toward the ToyTec having the superior qualities.

I look at this diagram and factor in a few different thoughts:
    • The fact that both the Eibach coil and ToyTec coil have 10 total coils
    • The fact the the thickness of the coils will never allow total compression of the strut
    • The fact that the distance between the collar and top plate is greater with the Ultimate, allowing greater compression of the shock

Considering all of that, I have to assume the ToyTec allows a greater depth compression. That seems to indicate that the ToyTec would be a superior coil. However, that does nothing to address ride quality of the coil, but I would assume the strut should have a greater impact on ride quaility. With all setups using the same 5100s, that should be null and void.

So, what says the community? What am I missing?

2. Oct 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I just have 1 comment...the third option of the ultimate coilover....you dont set the 5100 at 2.5", you set the 5100 it at the lowest setting then you use the adjustable collar to achieve your lift.

3. Oct 17, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    Thank you for bringing that up. That has me a bit confused. I was under the impression that all front 5100s were adjustable. However, I see the adjustable collar that is attached when the ToyTec coilovers are used. Does this mean that the standard 5100 adjustment is bypassed and the added collar is used instead?

This makes me think that my diagram is inaccurate, because the Ultimate coilover appears have the bottom of the coil closer to the bottom of the shock, rather than the way my diagram represents. Is this correct? If so, I'll update my diagram to include one more representative of the Ultimate.

I suppose a better way of asking this is which compressed coil is taller, the Eibach or ToyTec?

4. Oct 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    You use the retainer ring thingy for the 5100's but put then on the lowest setting then you place the adjustable collar on the 5100.

I mean essentially whether you adjust the 5100, for comparisons purpose, to the 2.5" mark on the shock or you adjust the collar to a 2.5" setting the spring should be (from what I would imagine) the exact same compression on the spring regardless of which way you do it.

Make sense lol I kind of confused myself a little

5. Oct 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Yes. However, I think the reason you have to use the adjustable collar is because the actual coil is longer than stock. The adjustable shock is designed for use with standard length coils. Therefore, when you use the longer ToyTec coils, you have to transpose the adjustment ring lower down the shock to account for the added length.

That makes me think that my diagram is more representative of a stock coil on a 5100 instead of a ToyTec coilover. I think that I need to add one more that is similar to the Eibach, but with the collar even farther down the shock. And, that would imply that the ToyTec would actually allow for even greater downward displacement.

Geez this is frustrating...

6. Oct 18, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    I think I've figured it out. Here is my updated Diagram. I think it does a better job of representing the true difference in potential down-travel of the different front Suspension options. I can now reason why the ToyTec Ultimate Coilovers are a superior option.

Suspension-Comp-1_98c42aedfc3167b7f9afd10fa90cd8e67f75bb9d.jpg

Original post edited.

Products Discussed in

To Top