1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eight Facts About Warming Up Your Car in Winter

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by surfsupl, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What do you mean "Localized"....Are you trying to say its not windy all over the world right now?? :confused:

2. Jan 23, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Correct , the rest of the world is dead calm .

3. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    BS its windy here too and cold. Feels like Ice Age. :mad:

4. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yeah, you really shouldn't have to warm up your car, especially with how well engines are made nowadays, and engineered. Start the engine up, wait for the RPM's to settle down, and you're off; or at least that's what I do.
    As well as driving away slowly....which is recommended in the manual. And I take it easy on the motor in-till it gets to normal operating temp.

But the article makes it seem like they really could care less, about warming up the engine is good....or bad. Seems like they're more concerned about smog and "man made global warming".

Just do whatever you want to do, it's probably not going to matter. Just make sure you're up-to-date with oil changes, good filter, and oil level.

5. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    Dilley

Dilley Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    KN Cold air intake, Dynomax exaust, Husky liners
    Do I really need to explain mannerisms to you?:rolleyes:

6. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    pizzo

pizzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    09 dc taco trd sport
    i have to warm up my truck for a few minutes when its -25 celsius. the seats feels like rocks, my windows are covered with ice, and my steering wheel feels like i have no power steering. there is no way im gonna start my vehicle then go after 30 seconds.

7. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    ah HA!!! SO>....we're in the process of Global Cooling, with sporadic Global Wind......y......ness....... Im thinking we need to bump up this Global heating more!

8. Jan 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Well , there's an awful lot of hot air being blown around in this thread . :)

9. Jan 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    DanT

DanT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Richland, WA
    Vehicle:
    4WD 2.7L SR5
    I agree. Although the distinction is wasted on those who do not know the difference between climate and weather

10. Jan 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Promoting global warming and pushing carbin tax will further distroy US manufacturing(by driving up costs here and forcing outsourcing to China). All while China manufactures for us and uses more polutants to do it. This equals less jobs here and at best no change (more likely an increase) in pollutants to the world we all share. This also means reduced national security.

We dont want to rely on China to make everything for us. The US and China do not share common values and they are not a friend of the US. Why would we want to be dependant upon a country that from all appearances has underlying ill-will toward us? Because if China were to start a war or economic war all they would have to do is shut off manufacturing and shipping. That would be more powerful than any A-bomb. There would be nothing on the shelves of your stores. They supply alot of parts to goods that are made in the US, so alot of US made goods would be gone as well. Pretty tough to grow food when the parts for your combine cant be found. Pretty hard to grow the same amount of wheat when your fertilizer is made in China. Pretty hard to eat when the food supply shrinks. Anyway huge chain of events here. Could we survive without China? It would be tough for a few years as we rebuilt manufacturing or outsourced to other countries and they ramped up manufacturing. If we were at military war with China during this time? then we would probably be done for. All because we subscribed to a global warming idea that can't be proven. Stupid.

So its not that we dont like to save the earth and we are terrible people, its just that we dont think that the evidence supports the need to make the vast and scarey changes that would need to be made to cut our country's emissions which would lower overall CO2 on the earth by fractions of fractions of a percent.

11. Jan 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    I was in Tahoe this weekend and every time I started my truck and tried to drive it she wouldn't move. My brakes were frozen; I had to use 4X4 every morning just to get the truck moving. Without 4x4 my rear tires were just spinning. Has anyone else encountered this?

12. Jan 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Seriously ? IBTL

13. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Hmm... It's more of a stalemate. If it was "war" then they would just pull all their money that we owe them, but then if they do it'll kill the US economy and in turn kill their own.

14. Jan 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Welp....We seem to have covered alot of things so far. Global warming, colling, prius's, gas guzzlers, science, myth.......Anyone have anything to say about Baby Seals? Does anyone have a problem with Foot funges?

15. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    I wonder if the baby seals worry about us warming up our toyota's in the winter??.

This thread made a right turn down the train tracks,,lmao!

16. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    if they do I hope them, and those dam greenies are in front of my truck so I can show them MT/r tread,,, up, and personal.
    Today was -14F and I would like to kick Al Gore in nuts

Its funny When you realize that majority people talking about global warming are from ....warm.... places. Why dont one of them come over here, deal with frozen cars, ice everywhere, massive amounts of snow heating issues then talk about global warming. Feel free to come shovel my place.

We getting snow twice a week. Tired of snow so If I get more then 3 inches tomorrow I think am just gonna pour gasoline on driveway and set it on fire :D Maybe I take chainsaw and chop fee trees to get fire last longer.
    How much CO2 that will release to air..:cool:

17. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I just asked my Dogs about this whole thing, and they said "Give us treets!" (they cant spell very well....)

18. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Can I club baby serals?

19. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Yes! Serals are some of the largest causes of all green house gasses on this rock. People are urged to club at will.

20. Feb 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    sheerace

sheerace New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    w
    new england
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    I'm on the warm it up for a minute or two side ..above idle when cold....I worked for Ferrari as a tech for awhile in LA....the shop owner, factory trained, used to have us start the cars every morning and hold them above idle for about a minute....I can still remember him yelling above the engines..."1500 rpm...2000 rpm!!!"....I don't go that deep but let the computer run its warm up cycle before I take off.....usually

Products Discussed in

To Top