1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eight Facts About Warming Up Your Car in Winter

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by surfsupl, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    g man

g man Member

Member:
    nw florida
    Vehicle:
    2.7 tacoma 5 speed
    I am sure global warming is overplayed by some and most definitely underplayed by others, but it is most definitely not BS. You can not really believe we can cut down as many trees and pave over acre upon acre of ground without any effect, let alone burn as much fossil fuels as we do. Sure, we are not going to go back in time to horse and carriage or cut the world population by half, however taking steps towards conservation of all resources (game, fish, water, air quality etc.) is something everyone should be able to get behind. What the hell is the point of being an American patriot who is all about protecting their country against all who would do it harm if you believe "he who uses up all the resources first wins". What about the next generation? All that being said you would think I was pro the original start of this thread but I am not, I just had to give a little rant back in response to those who so easily dismiss the thought that we can do anything we want to this earth and have no consequences. To get back to the thread, I have always warmed my vehicles up just untill the temp gauge needle starts to move. This came from working in a garage with a very knowledgeable mechanic, and I can tell you that I have run several cars and trucks to well over 300 k miles before any engine work became needed. I currently have an 83 FJ Cruiser that has 350K and is still cruising!

2. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    Junebug McQuinn

Junebug McQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wylie, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road Pre-Runner
    2010 was the hottest year on record.

And I'm sure at times the atmosphere has had 20 times more carbon at various times, but humans weren't around and wouldn't have been able to survive.

I'm not arguing that global warming isn't being used for selfish reasons by large corporations and individuals, but to deny it exists at all is pretty crazy.

3. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    This could easily fit in my top ten of wasted posting space. Weak:smash:

4. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    mattcombs

mattcombs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    hazard kentucky
    Vehicle:
    SR5 tacoma 4wd
    3in revtec lisf westin step bars and westin bull bar and some other odds and ends
    Good point. im not trying to bash anyone except al gore and people who lie about facts and fudge with data. I however agree we should becareful with what we do to an extent, but most of it is taken way out of proportion. I dpnt believe burning fossil fuels has anything to do with the weather, we cant survive without it. But here coal mining is our only industry and we have sewage plants with less strict requirement than a coal mine. This is way off topic and i do apologize but i love a good debate.

5. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    mattcombs

mattcombs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    hazard kentucky
    Vehicle:
    SR5 tacoma 4wd
    3in revtec lisf westin step bars and westin bull bar and some other odds and ends
    I dont know about crazy? What caused it to get to where it is today from when we were in an ice age, camp fires?

6. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I warm mine up until I can get the ice scraped off the windows. Turn it on, turn the defroster on high, and then give that a minute or two, then scrape the windows.

7. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    Junebug McQuinn

Junebug McQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wylie, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road Pre-Runner
    Orbital shifts, changes in tectonic activity, changes in global winds, there's a lot of theories out there. We're actually due for another ice age any day now, although "global warming" might delay it a bit. Or some think "global warming" might actually speed up the onset of another ice age.

8. Jan 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    g man

g man Member

Member:
    nw florida
    Vehicle:
    2.7 tacoma 5 speed
    Ten - four on the value of a good debate, it gets people thinking! I think the people who do not even let their engine warm up at least a little will have premature engine wear due to the FACT that cold oil is not flowing to all the places it is needed untill it warms up, especially at higher rpm's. One post said your engine warms up faster while driving, I am sure this is true if for no other reason than there is more friction being generated due to a lack of lubrication because the oil can not flow when cold like it does when warmed up. Check out "Bob is the oil guy" for some really good research on oil and it's viscosity when cold etc. Just google oil viscosity, it should come up with his site.

9. Jan 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).

Well said Leggo. May I add "deforestation?" I've seen interviews with NASA astronauts. Each & every astronaut described viewing Earth from far up in space as truly beautiful. Unique & unlike any other planet. But the rapid destruction of our forests, clearly visible at such far distances, as quite a sad & disturbing tragedy. Forestry is vital to the health of our planet and counteracts the tons of pollution we create. Many South & Central American countries are rapidly destroying huge chunks of forestry with no government intervention & restrictions set in place. Corporate greed at such tragic costs. Sad.

10. Jan 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    I get out of the shower, dry off, on goes the robe and slippers and off to start the Toy. THEN I get dressed, start the fire, get the coffee going, THEN I get in the Toy and off to breakfast with the guys. Truck idles for about 15 min. every morning. I do notice the drop in mileage, but it makes brushing off the snow and (what)ice easier, and a makes for a much more comfortable ride to town!

11. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    lol. and he invented TW,,don't ever forget,,,

I idle for a few minutes, just because my motor has a few miles on it and a bit of cold engine piston slap.

12. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    hawaiikone

hawaiikone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Mililani, Hi.
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    racks for my paddleboard
    My pop was a mechanical engineer and told me the best thing to do was start it, wait about 10 seconds, then drive with absolutely the easiest acceleration you can for about 1 mile. By then the viscosity is down enough for normal driving.
    Cold idling only prolongs the warm up process.

James_Bond likes this.
  13. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Dilley

Dilley Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    KN Cold air intake, Dynomax exaust, Husky liners
    Thats what I usually do unless its extra cold out and I will be working outside in the cold all day and I get up early enough to warm it up. I would compare warming up your truck to toasting bread or waiting for the shower to warm up before you get under the water.. you dont have to do it but sometimes its nice.. It makes me so mad how high the truck revs up when I start it.. I know that has got to be bad for the engine. When I start driving down my driveway when its cold I actually am running on lower RPM's than the truck would be just sitting. If it is high moisture like in washington it is actually a safty issue sometimes if you do not let your truck warm up because your windows will be so fogged up you will not be able to see at all.

14. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    One thing I was told, to add to deforestation, is the compounding affects as the earth warms. As things warm up, the amount of methane that is normally in a permafrost gets released along with all the other gases the earth naturally releases. From what I understand, the crap we emit with our cars is nothing compared to the amount of gases emitted constantly by the earth. I haven't researched this theory, just something I heard. I do agree with Rufus though, I think what's going on with the earth is going to happen regardless of human kind.

15. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    hawaiikone

hawaiikone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Mililani, Hi.
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    racks for my paddleboard
    "Thats what I usually do unless its extra cold out and I will be working outside in the cold all day and I get up early enough to warm it up. I would compare warming up your truck to toasting bread or waiting for the shower to warm up before you get under the water.. you dont have to do it but sometimes its nice.. It makes me so mad how high the truck revs up when I start it.. I know that has got to be bad for the engine. When I start driving down my driveway when its cold I actually am running on lower RPM's than the truck would be just sitting."

You're right. Being in Hawaii I don't have that problem. I'd do the same thing.
    Wish there was a way to defeat that crazy idle speed too.

16. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    Dilley

Dilley Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    KN Cold air intake, Dynomax exaust, Husky liners
    Well actually the ocean plant life does way more for cleaning the Air.. and I think humans actually do a great service to the planet.. look a places like southern californa.. that place would be a baren wastland if it was not for humans farming. the only downside is the chemicals they use. Its so funny how people are always ragging on the third world for trying to make a decent life for themselves out of a crapphole jungle why we are injoying the fuits of our labors from changing our world to suit our needs. Its also funny how people think they can "help" the planet. The planet needs no help. If people left those rainforest alone they would be overgrown with crap in a matter of months. most of our "pollution" is plant food..

17. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Oh Lord! Someone actually posted this? i seen it on yahoo and some of the claims are legitimate but every one of those studies were done by a tree hugging idiot. the cost of a new starter offsets the cost of that tank of gas i wasted throughout a year or two. I personally feel there is value to warming up my truck. In the winter that is, and when its below freezing. cold belts break much easier than warm ones. Cold stuff breaks easier than warm stuff :)

Now as to how long you warm it up or what the exact damage or prevention of damage is....I dont think anyone can give you that answer.

I will say its nice to drive in a warm truck and its nice when my clutch doesnt take 2 seconds to to release after i take my foot off of it :) and for you autos i know when its really cold your tranny shifts hard as well...

And before you say it...i will counter..the tranny gets heated from the engines heat. i know that you can warm the fluid up by using the gears while driving but then i have to deal with the cold air in my truck and crappy shifting. it onlytakes a few minutes and i can tell a dramatic difference in my clutch.

18. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    I always wait till my RPM's drop, then I drive off.

19. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    I'm in New Brunswick (north of Maine). I warm my truck up in the winter. I'm not worried about my freekin' engine! If I don't warm the truck up, I can't see where the HELL I'm going!!! The windows are all frosted up and a good blast of heat is the only way to drive safely.

If you don't warm your vehicle up here in the North.... Your an IDIOT!!!!

20. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I let it warm up. Especially since it is around 8*F at 530 in the morning before I head out to hockey practice

Products Discussed in

To Top