1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

El Camino del Diablo?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by WPNZ, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Feb 2, 2018 at 2:26 PM
    WPNZ

WPNZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB SR5 6MT
    Anyone done the El Camino del Diablo Run? I'm doing research on it now, anyone have any tips/advice.

I know you need permits for the Bombing Range and Nature Reserve, takes about 3 days to do, and recommended to have at least 2 vehicles (towing/winching).

Found some sites with pretty good info on them, just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with it.

2. Feb 4, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Not within the last few years but nothing's changed. What you read on the sites is what you get. Easy and interesting trail, I was in it for the historical value and a couple walk-to spots along the way. And the mines near Yuma are definitely worth exploring (if you can). It's not a scenic wonderland, but has it's own kind of beauty and I really enjoyed it. I'll probably do it again in the next couple years. Plenty of border patrol, but use common sense and maintain situational awareness. One night is fine, two nights if you really wanna explore, tool around, and hang out at camp a lot.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. Feb 4, 2018 at 8:59 PM
    WPNZ

WPNZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB SR5 6MT
    Thanks for the info. I just want to go check it out I guess because it's there, and I like to explore and camp.

4. Feb 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    SD Quicksand

SD Quicksand Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 Access Cab Quicksand
    I've been there several times. The last time I was there was February 2017. It's a nice run! It can be tricky in spots if it's been raining. It's a good idea to travel with a group. There are smugglers in the area travelling from Mexico toward I-8. There is also a Border Patrol station along the route west of Ajo.

You can obtain the permit via the Forest Service in Ajo or the Marine Corps in Yuma. You have to telephone them to let them know when you are entering the area. You can access the area via Yuma (have to cross a mountain range), Welton, Tacna or Ajo. We usually travel from Yuma to Ajo and take our time, making it a two day trip. Good camping spots at Tule Wells or Papago, both being along the trail.

Most of the terrain is flat. You will encounter soft sand, volcanic rock, and hard packed dirt surfaces. There is a cabin at Tule Wells. I wouldn't want to sleep in it though. Bring firewood.

You will enjoy the area. Have fun!

WPNZ[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    RCI aluminum front skid, SnugTop, Sliders, bedside supports, LED interior, CaliRaised fogs & brackets, rear diff breather mod, DIY bed platform
    SD Quicksand likes this.
  6. Sep 28, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    SD Quicksand

SD Quicksand Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 Access Cab Quicksand
    Getting the annual permit is a lot easier and more convenient now. Last week I watched the updated video and got my new permit.....

Thanks for sharing the info.

BKinzey likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top