1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Big Can of Worms Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Dalandser, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jul 14, 2018 at 5:53 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser [OP] ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Me too. My short term goal is to mount the Tundra axle and then I can mess around with how I want to mount the rear shocks, but I'll be able to move it on its own weight.

BYJOSHCOOK[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 14, 2018 at 6:13 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Got the first belt on the engine. It's looking more and more like a functioning truck.

275013F5-4502-474A-B26D-8C886BAF8101-501-000000807A9654DA.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

Then I met up with a guy selling some DMZ fab spring under u bolt plates. Turned out that he works at DMZ and we had a good conversation about his truck he's building.

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9853.jpg

Stopped by Solo after to pick up my hubs that had to be machined and have the studs pressed in. You get one of two choices over there - Taco or Bronco:

IMG_9846.jpg

IMG_9848.jpg

Noticed my dd was filthy on the way home in parking lot style freeway traffic lol

IMG_9850.jpg

Gave it an oil change and washed it and organized my tools:

IMG_9856.jpg

One bummer is the threads on the fuel hard line were messed up at the end. Getting some rest and I'll try filing down the first thread or two to get rid of the messed up threads!

3. Jul 15, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Fiddled with a couple small things

Filed the threads on the fuel line so they would work again

IMG_9858.jpg

Packed a couple bearings with grease and installed the back seals on my hubs

IMG_9861.jpg

Not sure about the Tundra brakes - been thinking about eventually getting 15's and 35's when I get another daily. Just figured I'd see what a banjo bolt looks like in one of the calipers for poop and laughter.

IMG_9860.jpg

4. Jul 15, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    The little things have to be done too.

Dalandser[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    For some reason the TRD manual suggests an atmospheric FPR reference, the Magnuson copy of the manual suggests a boost reference of the FPR from that rear nipple on the SC (also where you tee in your boost gauge). Here's more of my signature unsolicited advice ;), boost reference your FPR and throw a nice Aeromotive fuel pump in the tank.

Dalandser[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 24, 2018 at 12:37 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    That was the consensus in what I read too, some people said it could *possibly* help the afr under boost, but to me it was the easiest way to connect it so it got done lol. I'll upgrade the fuel pump eventually - still gotta get the 7th injector and see where I'm at with all that first. Oh yeah, I should probably start the truck first lol. Almost did that before leaving for my folks' place for a couple weeks, but other stuff was keeping me super busy...

First, I decided against the Tundra brake mod since hearing I'd have to change out the master cylinder and brake booster as well. I just don't have time for that with all the other stuff I'm doing right now. Later on down the line it wouldn't be that hard when I have the time. I cleaned up my calipers:

IMG_9868.jpg IMG_9870.jpg IMG_9869.jpg

They were nasty - I soent about 4 hours total getting the friction surfaces down to clean metal, prepping the surface, and painting them. One of the piston dust boots was torn so I removed them all and decided I'd just replace them all since they were looking awesome after painting them.

But the boots I bought from NAPA were impossible to install - I even had one on correctly after removing a piston, but then when pushing the piston into the cylinder the whole thing popped off, even with the snap ring on place. For what it would cost for oem boots that were made better and even then the Toyota caliper design making it super unfriendly by not having a channel for the snap ring - just a smooth tiny boss to snap it to, I decided to just get the remanned calipers from NAPA for $120 out the door. I was bummed though - I put a ton of work into my calipers. Test fit the new lines in them:

IMG_9860.jpg

The cool thing is that with the new lines from Solo, the little section of hard line by the coil bucket gets bypassed and the line hooks up to the hard lines on the frame:

IMG_9931.jpg
    IMG_9935.jpg

I laughed and said these were the cleanest cores the NAPA guy would ever get. I forgot to take a picture of them when they were painted - I was running out of time before leaving to visit my folks.

I had previously had my hubs machined by Carl at Solo but had dropped them off with the Tundra rotors. The hubs wouldn't fit inside my old rotors and I was super bummed. The guy's at Solo had been going out of their way to fix a couple errors on some of the machining on uniball spacers on my kit and pushing me to the front of their workload. Since it was kind of my fault for making the swap for Tundra brakes w/o knowing about the master cylinder issue, I really didn't want to bug them about it. I figured I'd handle it locally on my own.

The first machine shop owner I went to said it would be a couple of hours work and was kind of insulted that I brought the hubs to him. I was super polite, but kind of left with a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily the second place which is literally on the same block as me hooked it up - FOR FREE - no less. I gotta get the guy some business or lunch or something - I was too busy to do it since I was leaving for my trip and couldn't leave the truck on jack stands for 2 weeks. But if you're ever in need of machine work nearby Downey, here's the spot to go:

IMG_9912.jpg IMG_9911.jpg
    Sark, the owner, has worked here and eventually owned it since 1980 when his father bought it and he started working here in high school. He's got a couple machines from the 1940's - I thought that was pretty cool!

I kept on pushing forward, cutting the pinch weld, cleaning up bolts and such, and painting. I've been using work light to bake the paint on parts - it works really well.

IMG_9893.jpg IMG_9896.jpg IMG_9880.jpg IMG_9882.jpg

Had to stop by King again to get some uniball spacers. They're really helpful if you're able to stop by in person. They offered to change them out for free which would have been nice since this one took me forever with all the rust on it, but I already had got it out by then. Oh yeah saw these monsters as well.

IMG_9891.jpg IMG_9889.jpg IMG_9890.jpg

I met up with Bobby at 7:30 Thursday night here to pick up my uca's that had to be modified as they had been part of a bad batch at the lazer cutter. They made the pocket larger to clear the spindle.

IMG_9930.jpg

I had already only had 4 hours of sleep in the previous 24 hours and it would be another 32 before finally sleeping some more! I didn't take many pics of the process since I was trying to get the truck on its own weight in time.

IMG_9923.jpg

Saw this sweet old school 4runner coming back from the shop for the final time - I was pretty stoked to have all of the parts I needed to finally install the kit. Took it as a good omen!

IMG_9927.jpg

Worked all night to get the first side installed.

IMG_9939.jpg

Had to modify my wrench to work in this tight space.

IMG_9940.jpg

I love working on these Dana 44 hubs. It feels super user friendly compared to press in Toyota stuff and I'm loving the smell of bearing grease lol. The socket I had for the spindle nuts kind of sucked. It slipped off a couple times and gouged the nut in this pic, but hopefully the burrs won't mess up the bearings - I couldn't find them when I looked for them and just chalked it up to experience. Next time I'll find a better socket and clean everything out before re-assembling them.

IMG_9942.jpg

Obviously the springs might be a little stiff - they're only 16's so there's actually no preload on them. I need to install my bumper, winch, and axles so hopefully they'll work - I can always get lighter ones if necessary. All in all it was a wild ride over the course of this last month working on the ol' bean.

IMG_9946.jpg
    IMG_9947.jpg
    IMG_9951.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. Jul 24, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    [​IMG]

:drool:

Dalandser[OP] and dillonk1602 like this.
  8. Jul 24, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    SanClemTaco

SanClemTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner on 37's
    Solo Motorsports XLT Kit, Giant 64
    can you please explain how you assembled the dana 44 hubs? have no idea what order the parts go on in

Dalandser[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 24, 2018 at 11:31 PM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin Mall Crawlin Through Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
  10. Jul 24, 2018 at 11:53 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Haven't seen you around lately! Anything new w/ you and / or your truck?!

11. Jul 25, 2018 at 7:18 AM
    Nicklovin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    Not really. I've been working more over the summer and Wheeling less saving up. Not sure exactly what I want to do truck wise. Oh I bought a Miata a while back to learn stick, man it's fun!

12. Jul 26, 2018 at 9:51 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I'd think Miata's are really perfect for not going too fast, but feeling like you are. Any mods on that thing?

13. Jul 26, 2018 at 10:22 PM
    Nicklovin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless
    Oh they are great for that.... :D. No mods kept it stock intentionally, although there was a lot of temptation especially from my coworkers. It's listed at the moment, not sure what's next. Maybe a wheeler, maybe another flip car to build up monies :militarypress:
    So are you full LT yet? :D

14. Jul 26, 2018 at 10:35 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    You could probably make some money flipping cars with your knowledge of the used car business!

My bedroom is full lt - my truck not yet :anonymous:

BYJOSHCOOK likes this.
  15. Jul 26, 2018 at 10:52 PM
    Nicklovin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless
    Ya I'm debating it after I sell the Miata. Plus I still have 2 more buys from CarMax I can use, dozens of cars come through on the daily. Great source for flip cars :D. Oh I've been gaining quite a bit of detailing experience there as well, love doing it quite the process.

Which truck? :D You lucky bastard :rofl:

16. Jul 26, 2018 at 11:52 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I imagine - I like detailing my white truck - too bad my time mostly goes to building this one - the white one is majorly being neglected.

This truck is the long travel truck - I'll spruce up the other one to sell once this one is driveable. Taking more classes this fall I assume?

17. Aug 6, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Went on vaca for a couple weeks with my family on the east coast. While I was over there I found these for a steal, even when paying my neighbor to pick them up. Lol

IMG_0021.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  18. Aug 8, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Set these up to put on and then inevitably got distracted - slow pace setting in now with work starting back up.

IMG_0030.jpg

19. Aug 13, 2018 at 1:36 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Got some brakes. Spent most of Friday night getting one side of the suspension torqued and such - went pretty slowly.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Around 3 am decided to call it and have some fun.

IMG-0065.jpg

Packed and hit the road. Left at 4am and was almost in Mojave by the time the sun was coming up - smoke from wildfires almost made it look like sunset

IMG_5430.jpg

Got to the Providence Mountains around 8, made a loaf of pb&j's, packed my backpack and went searching for a possible route to the top

IMG_5689.jpg

Left the burro behind and went up

IMG_5442.jpg

and up

IMG_5453.jpg

can you spot the tacoma pixel? lol

IMG_5455.jpg

Got tired and found a cave to take a nap in out of the sun - it was extremely hot by 1 pm

IMG_5466.jpg

After moving a couple times as the sun shifted, I finally woke up to see a bighorn sheep - my settings were way off, but I at least documented the closest I've ever been to one - about 100 yards when it was the closest

IMG_5482.jpg

It was getting later so time to head down - 2 unsuccessful attempts so far for the top of the mountain, but there was a lot of awesome scenery up there!

IMG_5551.jpg

Sunset just as I was getting back

IMG_5570.jpg

The faithful burro waiting for my return lol

IMG_5600.jpg

Headed towards another spot and lighting lit up the sky - I thought it was 'heat' lightning

IMG_5606.jpg

Took this photo and then the whole night turned crazy

IMG_5605.jpg

No pics,

I came upon a group of vehicles that had one stuck up to the frame. We tried to dig it out, but it just wasn't happening with what we had. I left them with the rest of my water and told them I would go to where I got cell service. We were in flash flood territory and of course it started raining along with thunder and lightning. I made it to cell service an hour later. The next morning I found the number for BLM and notified the San Bernardino Rangers. Then I tried to get one more summit in before heading home.

This one is a lot more laid back, but really beautiful. I stopped short of the summit, but there wasn't any tough sections the rest of the way.

IMG_5687.jpg

I never heard of Cima Dome, but the crazy thing makes it look like you can see the curvature of the earth - it's 10 miles in diameter

IMG_5641.jpg

Took a few more pics - the mountain I was on the day before

IMG_5653.jpg

Time to leave - still raining in some parts of the park

IMG_5646.jpg

Leaving the preserve

IMG_5726.jpg

One more awesome sunset in Barstow on the way home. What a fun weekend - really glad I got out town at least once this summer.

IMG_5736.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  20. Aug 23, 2018 at 12:38 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    This came my way:

IMG_0133.jpg

Got it up in Calabasas. Decided to drive through the Santa Monica mountains to avoid being stuck in traffic. Another beautiful CA sunset as usual lol.

IMG_0135.jpg

To Top