1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

elbow mod ridge style

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ridgerunner, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    so I did the ol elbow mod. I did it a little differently. I disconnected the long tube from the fendermounted L-snorkel, then spun that L-snorkel around so that the intake hole faces down and slightly towards the nose of the truck in order to get a better gulp of air. Then I replugged the airbox back into the L-snorkel and rebolted it. As I did all this I had the POS side of the battery disconnected so as to reset the ECU. So far I notice a small gain in pickup during normal accelleration to 35-40MPH. That's it other than a little bit more intake sound. I am waiting to see overall difference as the ECU learns the change. I left the long tube inside the fender in case I want to change back-and because it is bolted to the wheelwell so no chance of rattle anyways. Just curious-the guys who did the elbow mod-how did you remove the L-snorkel from the fender? I couldn't get it out so I utilized it as it keeps the hot engine bay air away so all I get is cool air through the space between the bumper and headlight.

2. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    Cool beans!

3. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
  4. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Comon nobody??? What the hell?

5. Nov 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    cool, just gotta make sure you dont suck up other stuff besides air :rolleyes:.

6. Nov 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Cool Frank! Did you take pics? ALso, I think you need to twist the elbow a certain way to pull it out.

7. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    You are so right-believe me I thought about it but now it is no different than most vehicles out there,,,if you think about it our Tacomas with that long backwards snorkel were definately not the norm. The intake hole is positioned about 4" up from where any rainwater would be
    No pics I didn't figure it was worth it for such a small move but if anyone wants them I will put some here.

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    tacomaforlife

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.

9. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:

10. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    tacomaforlife

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:

11. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Man that would surprise the hell out of me if I made that discovery! Now I wonder how many offroaders have stuff restricting their 1st-gens' breather-no? That actually is something that you should post about in the 1st-gen forum one day. Truck missing? hesitating? losing power? CHECK THE MUD IN YER SNORKEL!!!!

12. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    tacomaforlife

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    lol, i did the deck plate so i have a lot better air flow now.

13. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    When I sunk my first genner (past the headlights, in soupy muddy water), After I took it apart, I only found mud about half way up the snorkle.....For its intended pupouse, I think its a good design.

14. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    tacomaforlife

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    true, not much else place to run it anyways.

15. Nov 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    I want to update here-I found how to remove the elbow snorkel from the fender hole and I broke out the cutter and cut off about 3" of that elbow so it wouldn't hit the back of the side marker light, and it also allowed me to face the intake end more foreward towards the nose when I put it back in there. Now that elbow is getting a better shot of cool air coming between the top of the bumper and bottom of the headlight:) I am loving the results. The full throttle performance seems about the same BUT the regular around town type stuff takes a much less throttle! To me that is huge because less throttle means less fuel right? Plus there is more response as you get into the throttle a little which is nice. Another nice plus is when Rosie goes "did you modify your exhaust too because it sounds louder":D The final bonus is I drove all day in rain doing our shopping and when I pulled the air filter, it-the airbox-and the elbow-all dry as a bone. YES
    I also pulled that long tube out of the fender and MAN you cannot believe the SOOT that was all over that thing as well as some inside it! Well 10 years I guess. If anyone is interested I will take pics. If not-cool-I will enjoy it aaaaaaallll by myself!

16. Nov 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    PICS!!!!!!!

:p

17. Nov 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
  18. Nov 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    This is the elbow-the original length of the snorkel came to where my index finger is
    [​IMG]

This is how it will set inside the fender with the opening facing the front of the truck
    [​IMG]

as you can see it sits now opposite from original
    [​IMG]

sets very nicely that way
    [​IMG]

It now gets fresh air thru the gap here (and ambient in fender)
    [​IMG]

This is looking at intake from inside the airbox-as you can see it now gets a better dose of air
    [​IMG]

and the ECU learned this very quickly- my truck feels happier.

19. Nov 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Well done!

20. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Chris:)

Products Discussed in

To Top