1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Elbow Mod (with pictures)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jking3002, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Sep 5, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    The elbow mod is similar to the deckplate mod in that it creates an easily sealed hole in the stock airbox and according to gadget's website, it adds about 5-6 HP.

Their are a few differences between the two mods-

1.) The elbow mod is free
    2.) The elbow mod can be converted back to 100 percent stock without the purchase of a new airbox.
    3.) The deckplate mod is easier to adjust on the fly and there are more write-ups

I decided to do the elbow mod because I'm cheap, and with my current rig (a Prerunner) I don't see a lot of offroading in my future.......

[​IMG]

The elbow is located on the left side of the airbox where there is piping from the box into the fender (blue arrow) Once inside the fender the tube twists at a 90 degree angle, and this is very restrictive.

In order to take the elbow out you will need a socket wrench with a 10 inch extension and 10mm and 12mm sockets.

Remove the three bolts holding the airbox in place with the 12mm socket (marked in red; you will need the extension for the bolt near the passenger side headlight).

Move the airbox out of the way (being careful not to rip out any wiring harnesses) so that you can fit your wrench and 10mm socket onto the two bolts to the left of the airbox (marked in green) Remove the bolts and then slowly work the elbow out. You will have to twist it around in order to get it out. Be gentle- if you have to yank you are doing something wrong.

[​IMG]

This ^ is what you are removing!

With this and my K and N drop-in I am seeing significantly better acceleration and throttle response.

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    Turp

Turp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    Nice post. Somehow I missed this on a V6 but the same applies for the 2.7. I opted for the snorkel removal for the same basic reasons: Free, removes restriction, and no water filled off-roading.

My results on the 2.7 seemed to mirror yours.

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    gatrapper

gatrapper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Senoia, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 4x4
    Good post

4. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    chris66

chris66 ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)

Member:
    First Name:
    dust
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 Prerunner
    bfg at ko2, method double standard
    sorry to bump an old thread but for this did you just remove the elbow? i removed the elbow but wasnt sure if i was supposed to leave the tube in or not. did you remove it?

5. Sep 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    Did it make a sound difference at all?

6. Sep 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Wait doing this would stop the cold airflow coming from the fender into the box and just let the box breath more right?

To Top