1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

elbow mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DaytonLax14, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Feb 6, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    DaytonLax14

DaytonLax14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 extended cab TRD Off Road
    I have a 2.4L 4 banger and I'm thinking about doing the elbow mod. It's just removing the 90* bend tube from the airbox right? Do I put anything in it's place? Is it going to make my truck sound better? Any negatives frrom the mod? Sorry for all the questions!

2. Feb 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    DaytonLax14

DaytonLax14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 extended cab TRD Off Road
    anyone? Anyways, I took out the elbow. Ended having to saw it off because I couldn't get it to just wiggle out. I haven't noticed anything different so far

3. Feb 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    Idrivetoys

Idrivetoys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Yuma AZ
    Vehicle:
    I need a 4 door DC 4x4
    i don't personally know, but you can always try it out, if you want different sound you will want an adapter and an open style filter, IE remove the air box and slap on a cone type filter.

4. Feb 6, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (190k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I'm not familiar with the elbow mod exactly - I've got the V6, so I did the deckplate mod. Since you're not getting any feedback though I can try to help...

I don't believe the mod involves putting anything in it's place - the whole point is to increase airflow which is what happens when you eliminate the elbow. I'm assuming the tube maintains the same diameter before and after the bend, so the performance benefit should be minimal - perhaps less than is noticeable, but still there. Basically the gain you'll get is from eliminating the pressure drop from the elbow. That should get you just a little better airflow to the intake.

There shouldn't really be any negatives from it. I guess technically you might be pulling in the warmer air from the engine bay instead of cooler air - cooler air is denser and thus provides more HP. I can't imagine that would be noticeable either though. Maybe it's a wash since your getting warmer air, but at a better flow rate?

I would have guessed that the sound would have gone up a bit (primarily at higher RPMs), but I guess you know whether that worked or not by now.

A bit of advice. I would also recommend getting a high flow air filter (K&N or AFE) if you haven't yet. They're reusable and help a lot for increased airflow too (better power & gas mileage).

To Top