1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electric Brake Controller Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Towing' started by NGeorgiaTacoma, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jul 1, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    NGeorgiaTacoma

NGeorgiaTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Full Access Cab 4-cyl
    I have found the front 4-pin connector for the electric brake controller behind the hidden "drawer" at the driver's left knee cap. This connector is part of the stock Taco wiring harness on my 2014. And I also understand how to mount and connect the controller in the front.

jU6Bvo6xyClhJ_5ugQH6UtgB_oS5htpDElcqDqIt_2cdb0054598e359a0d6144eead9d14aa375dc24f.jpg

What I cannot find is where the 2 wires needed to control the electric trailer brakes pop out of the harness in the rear. I have inspected the truck's tail lamp harness, and also removed the LH tail lamp looking for it. I have seen the photos of the Toyota 7-pin connector sub-harness, and the pigtail seems to be about 3 ft long, so it has to be nearby.

Any hints on its whereabouts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 5, 2018 at 4:29 AM
    Cnasianfire

Cnasianfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD off road DCSB
    BFG KO2 285/75/16 ~2" lift (5100s and block)
    I could be wrong, often times I am. But I don't think that is the harness for the brake controller. First of all, it isn't located where it should be (assuming that it is the same a my 2015). Second of all, it should look like this...
    upload_2018-7-5_7-29-6.jpg

3. Jul 5, 2018 at 4:32 AM
    Cnasianfire

Cnasianfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD off road DCSB
    BFG KO2 285/75/16 ~2" lift (5100s and block)
    BTW, I missed the whole 4pin connector thing that you said. I didn't know that a taco had a 4 pin connector.

4. Jul 6, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    NGeorgiaTacoma

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Mr Fire -
    You were indeed correct. That is some type of pre-wired accessory harness for a switch that pops into one of the blank switch panels next to the mirror control. My truck has a bank of 3 switch positions there, most empty.

If the Kurt harness that came with my controller is correct, the connector in question is somewhat more robust. A female 4-position, but measuring 0.64x0.80 inches. The lower "vanity panel" is removed and there seem to be no other loose connectors. Knowing the towing fuse is in the engine compartment fuse box, that area has also been thoroughly searched. No connector spotted.

Any hints or tips would be highly appreciated.

5. Jul 9, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    If you're truck doesn't have a factory-installed 7-pin trailer connector, then it also doesn't have the pigtail to plug your brake controller into. You will likely have to wire the controller from scratch

Edit: apparently I was mistaken, and non tow package trucks do have the brake controller connector

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. Jul 9, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    John Mc

John Mc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    Added trans & engine oil coolers. (No factory tow pkg)
    My 2009 Tacoma did not come with the factory tow package, and thus has no 7-pin connector on the rear. However, it does have the pigtail for the break controller. I'm in the process of having my truck 'tow packagized" (added trans and engine oil coolers, about to get 7 Pin connector put in). I had read somewhere on here that the towing pigtail was included on all Tacomas. I searched all over behind the panel near the driver's left shin and could not find it. I was about to give up when I spoke to someone who insisted it was there, you just have to go way up in the opening and fish around. I took one more look and found the connector. It was taped to a mass of other wires near the top of the opening and toward the rear (maybe a few inches forward of the door post, if I recall correctly). I found it by feel. To see it, you'd probably have to put your head on the brake pedal and look backwards into the opening - even then, you may have to poke around in order to actually see it.

Having found that connector, I'm not sure what good it will do me. I didn't look very hard, since it was getting dark, but I didn't see any 10 ga wires coming out of it (which is what I want for brake and power wires to the 7-pin connector), and I'm not sure where the ends come out in the back of the truck (if they even do come out there?). Even in the video that etrailer.com shows for installing a Tekonsha P3 in a 2009 Tacoma, they didn't use the pigtail: they just clipped off the wire that senses whether the brake pedal is depressed and spliced it directly into the wires from the controller. They ran new 10 ga power and brake wires to the rear of the truck.

7. Jul 9, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    John Mc

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    BTW, if anyone actually knows where the other ends of the wires from that break controller pigtail come out I'd love to hear it. I assume some must be at the rear of the truck, and some may go back to the fuse box? I've not yet checked if any pins are hot when the truck is on.

8. Jul 9, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Interesting! I thought only tow package-equipped trucks had the controller pigtail. Good to know

9. Jul 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    John Mc

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    I'm guessing they just put the same wiring harness in every truck. Probably cheaper for them than making 2 different harnesses and sorting out which trucks get it and which don't.

The real question is: where do the wires go if you don't have the tow package?

10. Jul 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    NGeorgiaTacoma

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I was originally working under that exact impression, but I have now come to the conclusion that it was a false hope (I was wrong) and it is better for me to simply add the wires I need from scratch to make the controller operational.

On the bright side, I now know more about Gen 2 dash and kick panel disassembly than anyone else in all of N Georgia ! :rofl:

â–ş I believe the BIGGEST difference is that the bulk of owners in the Towing forum (and on the road) own and drive a V6 Taco. No one adds this bit of info to their thread becasue they simply assume that anyone who is towing starts with a V6 engine. What idiot in the their right mind would tow with anything less ? Well, I am the one joker in the deck ! My Taco has the 2.7L 4-cylinder and is rated for 3500# TWR.

But, in all fairness we decided to tow 2 years after buying the truck. The trailer we're looking at is in the 2000# range and very aerodynamic (a Casita). The only reason we're concerned about controller wiring is that the trailer comes fitted with electric brakes and we want them operational, just in case.

So all of this fuss is becasue we love our Taco and really don't want another !!

;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  11. Jul 12, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '17 Quicksand DCSB OR
    Previous to my Tacoma I had an FJ Cruiser which had no towing package. I spent much time at etrailer.com researching to add the brake controller and seven pin wiring. There are some good videos, I suggest searching at etrailer.

Products Discussed in

To Top