1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electric cooling fan

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, Oct 4, 2011.

?

What should I do for my cooling options???

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. Get a new stock fan shroud at $300 and install myself!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Get a Flex-a-lite electric fan kit at $350 and install myself!

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Definitely not going to argue with your experience on your Gen I, but on my 09, I saw no noticable difference in performance or milage after my Flexalite kit was installed. There may be logic behind your argument, but it hasn't proven itself in my reality :D.

2. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    09taco4x4

09taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Valant cold air intake kit Borla catback exhaust 6" Pro Comp Stage 1 Walker Evans 2.5's w/ TSB spring and add-a-leaf Light racing upper a-arms 285/70/R17 Dynapro ATM tires 17x9 XD wheels
    Im pretty sure I got a "lemon".

I wasnt going to deal with trying to fix it again. I went back with the stock set up.

Ever need any parts for your fan set up let me know.

3. Oct 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I have thought of that and the plan is to secure some metal mesh material over the intake of the fans. That way most larger debris gets stopped.

Its no worse than having debris fly into it at freeway speeds with nothing to stop it.

4. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    degraaf

degraaf Old School

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC Limited TRD Tacoma
    Method Racing 16" rims, Old Man Emu 883 springs w/Nitrocharger front struts, All-Pro expo leaf springs w/bilstein shocks on rear, deck plate mod, gray wire mod, ARE cap.
    I know this is an old post, but any chance you ever took pictures of your first gen set up? More specifically, I'm wondering where to wire the power from the flex-a-lite controller to a ignition controlled power source instead of running it right to the battery. Any pictures or good descriptions of where to wire it too would be great. I've been searching the forums but can't find a good picture or description.

5. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    the increase in current inside the windings of the alternator increases counter EMF, in turn this requires more physical energy from the motor to spin the rotor in the alternator. the electric fan may be more efficient at air movement though

6. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º

As i look back on this thread, the biggest thing about MPG and the Whole Fans using the Motor via the alternator... is that when your moving these fans should not be operating.. unless your running the AC. Driving My truck runs around 188ºF and the Fans are set to 200º So that being said you basically removed the LOAD from what used to be a Clutch fan, as most of us know those clutch's do not work very well.
    On top of it, for people like myself that Wheel, I installed a Kill Switch for the Fans so when I cross water or deep mud, I don't risk breaking my fans or slinging crap all over the engine bay!

So that being said im done ranting about this thread. Like all things about Modding your truck its a choice if you think it will benefit you. I believe in my case it has greatly...

7. Jul 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    too bad you couldnt run both

8. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    This is what I will be doing. I have a flex-a-lite fan I am going to install as a pusher just for when offroading.

9. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I said will be doing... Not have done!!! I will take pictures when I do it. Mine will be mounted on the left (as looking at it form the front) side of my intercooler which covers my radiator and AC condenser.

10. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    LoL ASS!!!

11. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Some things never change. :D

12. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I'm finally getting around to getting an old Volvo racer project out of my garage (400+HP 4cyl turbo mothballed for a decade......gotta get it out of my Taco's space :D ). Part of that project was an e-fan conversion. LOVED it when I had it on there, so I took it off and am now considering my options on how to put it on my Taco.
    Here's what I've come up with:
    1) swap the bolt-on fan that's on the motor now (16") with one that fits the OE Taco shroud (~19.25") for $45.
    2) fab up an adaptor that will let me swap out the fan that's on the motor now (16") with the OE Taco fan, and keep the OE Taco shroud.
    Whatever I do, I'm keeping the OE Taco shroud, and removing the fluid coupler between the engine and the fan. It's a matter of deciding between using the OE Taco fan, or using an aftermarket 19.25" fan, to replace the fan I have on the electric motor from the Volvo.
    Anyone's thoughts?

13. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    Btw- pusher fans are worthless.
    If you have a properly-sized puller, a pusher just gets in the way.
    If you don't have a properly-size puller, a pusher gets in the way.
    Either way, a pusher is worthless.
    Stick with stock, or get a properly-sized e-fan puller.

14. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Right now in the heat of southern AZ while offroading at low speed w/ medium to higher RPM and rock crawling my engine gets really hot, approx 225 degrees. I am running a supercharger with under drive pulley so I am creating a TON more heat than a normal engine.

As whipper said, I want the pusher fan when in low RPM low speed high temp off road situations. In that case they won't get in each others way. If it doesn't work, nothing lost.

15. Aug 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    Is there a replacement for the oem fan that has less drag? Ive tried the elec fan route on my previois truck, and it wasnt for me for my daily driven truck. I was just too lazy to put the oem fan back on.
    I would like a fan that is just as efficient as the oem fan, but quieter. Otherwise, I can do with the oem fan, it eould be a minor benefit, having a quieter fan eith the same cooling
    Capabilities.

16. Aug 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    . . . Sub'd

Products Discussed in

To Top