1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electric Fans or Headers?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Marshallberger, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    Marshallberger

Marshallberger [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Marshallberg NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    K&N cold air intake, 3 inch coil spring spacers, 2 inch blocks, throttle body spacer, red and black custom painted interior, chrome mirrors, chrome door handles, nerf bars, chrome tailgate handle, texas style dual exhaust with flowmaster 50 series muffler, tonneau cover
    I'm thinking more horsepower. Just trying to get an idea if the electric fans or the headers would give more horsepower and which one is cheaper to have professionally installed. I've installed headers on a f150 before but my 04 tacoma pre runner looks like it would be a much bigger pain in the ass to install? Already have K&N throttle body and exhaust for the major horsepower increases.

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Vivid Illumination Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Gillette, WY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah, I gots boost
    Headers will provide a much better horsepower increase in comparison to an elec fan. And I am sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your throttle body spacer and exhaust provided you no horsepower increase... At all.

3. Mar 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM
    StatutoryAPE

StatutoryAPE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    i just put trd headers on my 2000 and didnt really feel much of a difference in power. Its a little smoother acceleration when getting on the freeway and while driving freeway speeds and flooring it. My mpg's increased by 2, was getting 18 now 20, only if i drive like a grandma everywhere, but other than that not much. They weren't too bad to install with a friend, the only issue ive had with them is exhaust leaks, which is what trd headers are known for cuz of their design. It would cost a lot to have them installed i think.

i say go with the electric fan if your mainly thinking about cost.

theres one member, taco me elmo, that has both. maybe he will say something

4. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    headers. go with quality, spend the money now, because its a job to put them on, and see if you can get quality gaskets, and when i did my stang, i even found grade 8 manifold bolds that required a 8point socket for super tight fit. you dont want a leak or a crack in the tubing in 2 months. then you will be ready for a sweet exhaust. just make sure, and i am not joking about this, make sure you know what you are doing or if you have it done, make sure they know what they are doing. do they do emissions test there?
    im from charlotte, so i learned fast. the month i started to drive, charlotte started testing, isn't state wide annual now with inspection? that is the main thing to fact check on, and dont buy until you get a everything will be ok.
    here in chicago, after I did my stang and I did it right, did not throw a code, they stopped me at my first test, held me up tried to look all over the car, question me....but it was legal. loud, yes, but legal.
    now you are near the coast.... ever go up to the outer banks?

5. Mar 9, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed
    The clutched fan doesn't draw much power until it cuts in and with the rather weak alternator an electric fan would put a lot of strain on the charging system. As to headers they tend to move your powerband up the rpm scale as illustrated by APE and his changes on the highway. There isn't much more to get from the 3.4 unless you install the supercharger and change the cam profile(if anyone makes replacement cams). Your best bet is to install a good catback system, do the deckplate mod with a good high flow air filter and keep up on the regular maintenance, maybe use synthetics in the diff. There is always the chip mod for the ECU.

To Top