1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electric Tacoma coming

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Sand Dog, Apr 21, 2021.

1. May 3, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Why are these electric threads always in 3rd gen?

2. May 3, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    stevesnj

stevesnj Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser 80 Series
    Malvolio and splitbolt[QUOTED] like this.
  3. May 3, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    390,000,000 gallons of fuel used daily in US. What is the Megawatt equiv? How many solar panels (whatever 'green' tech) needed to generate? How many batteries to store it? What happens in incliment weather? How much is it going to cost to charge?

Cheeky: How many solar panels to get a space rocket/shuttle off the ground or a container ship across the Pacific?

CG256 and the.sight.picture like this.
  4. May 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM
    willie2

willie2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    4 Banger 5 spd
    Can do with all electric but hybrids still need a way to feed ICE power to one set of wheels so a differential will be needed. Wifes Rav4H has two electric motor/generator and ICE driving front wheels and one motor/generator feeding rear. Appears to be a real sweet setup! If Tacoma was available with this synergy drive I would jump at it. Only downside is towing capacity would be reduced from v6.

stevesnj likes this.
  5. May 3, 2021 at 1:57 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    There's no doubt that we will still need petroleum for some applications but cars are going to be one we can get away from in the near future.

Grindstone and stevesnj like this.
  6. May 3, 2021 at 2:04 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)

Yup, will smoke the tires off the dodge, and drain half its charge lol

7. May 3, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    stevesnj

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    Worth it lol. Well not half it's charge. maybe 2-3 miles of charge.

8. May 3, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    I hope you enjoy becoming a statistic when that deaf driver or trucker with the radio turned up to stay awake refuses to hear you. My concept of driving in traffic is to avoid situations where some riders seem to seek them out or deny the risks. You want to ride in traffic then strap on something with a crumple zone not made of flesh. Noise won’t do that no matter how loud. I have ridden by the way so that’s yet another erroneous assumption. I realize it’s become the norm to break the rules then avoid the responsibility, like cyclists crying “share the road” and riding 5 abreast so it probably seems justifiable to strip the muffler and then go lane splitting and cry about how unsafe everyone else is.

My3rdTacoma, OZ TRD and stevesnj like this.
  9. May 3, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    stevesnj

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    I've ridden for a long time and never modded an exhaust to make it louder and never had an incident. It all comes down to the driver in the car and if they are attentive enough. If anything a loud bike coming up on to a car is more distracting than helpful.

Inferno! and willie2 like this.
  10. May 3, 2021 at 3:06 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    I'm all for innovation, but not forced adoption. there are many reasons why I'm not interested in an electric vehicle.

I'm not going to list them all, but I am willing to list a few of them. TLDR/ supply chain issues.

1. The United States grid is at least 50 years from being able to support the mass amount of electric cars that would be needed to support the very ambitious project (pipe dream) of reducing US carbon emissions that our current administration would like. We could probably get the needed electricity if nuclear powerplants were more "chic" but that isnt going to happen. 2 percent of all new cars sold are electric, we would need to sell upwards of 60 percent of all new cars as electric.

2. They biggest benefit of an electric vehicle is not having to use gasoline. Which is great in theory, but in practice when the grid fails, we will absolutely rely on fossil fuels to produce the electricity (see pictures of generators powering tesla's after hurricanes) . If you live in an area of the country that still doesn't have reliable internet, how well do you think the power grid is there to support it?

3. Cobalt mining and the associated mineral mining is more harmful to the environment, and also puts the United States to be even more dependent on foreign interests for batteries and fuel. These batteries also do not produce enough speed for major airlines to use (which are arguably more harmful to the environment)

I wouldn't trust any full electric truck to do anything close to what our trucks do, for the amount of time and frequency dealing with water and dirt. If you guys are excited, and really want one once they are released, I hope they retain Toyotas ability to be reliable, in harsh conditions.

I absolutely am looking forward to seeing Toyotas advancement, just with other peoples wallets lol

CG256 likes this.
  11. May 3, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    2000prerunner23

2000prerunner23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    You can use the very same coal, natural gas or what ever fossil fuel power plants currently in use, and still save over half the energy needed to power EV's of all shapes and sizes (which accounts for 20-30% of humans energy needs...transpiration).

"390,000,000 gallons of fuel" would need to be converted by 1/3 of that to get the energy equivalent needs for all EVs because the EV is 3X more efficent...so it would use up only 1/3 of that total energy

You are mixing independent things. engine type (electric/ICE) , energy production and energy storage. If you are talking about the limits of battery storage for long haul vehicles (like semi trucks, trains and shipping containers) then yes there is still work to be done to overcome the energy storage issues.

For most people an EV (with current battery tech) is totally sufficient for their needs. Most people don't go on road trips every day. They drive 10-30 miles. To charge each car battery daily for that distance for even 50 million cars that's not putting a humongous demand on the grid. That's akin to a summer day where everyone runs their 6Kw A/C all day to cool the house. We don't need "solar on every roof top" for that to happen. Again green energy production and EV cars are different things.

12. May 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM
    2000prerunner23

2000prerunner23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve

with in a very narrow scope all those arguments are true. But when looking at the big picture , no, that's all wrong.

So we have no intentions of doing what humans do and advancing current electricity production + improving the grid? do you realize how cheap solar panels are getting by the day? how about move all our current subsidies and efforts from petrochemical companies to renewables.

After a hurricane , gas station electric pumps are also "off" . at least with an EV , people with gas generators or solar have the option to keep driving while a gas car has to wait in line at a working gas station with all the other desperate people. (Oh did you have a petrochemical refinery in your back yard to produce gasoline?)

Have you ever driven an EV? or see one in person? they are much more simple so less to break. plus they can have fully sealed motor compartments and battery packs away from the environment . you cant fully seal off a gas motor :) . you are aware that EV trucks don't even have transmission, transfer cases, fuel pumps, big coolant systems or uh the most complex moving part of them all .... a gas engine with 1000s of moving parts and electronics that can fail .

doublethebass and stevesnj like this.
  13. May 3, 2021 at 3:30 PM
    Benny blanco

Benny blanco Mr. Jiggletits

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben Day Ho
    Whoville<>Trollhättan
    Vehicle:
    21 Cement TRD OR MT
    Some stuff
    gotta say I hear both of your points, but I think some people hear the motor and look for a bike, and some people hear a motor and are startled. But, this has nothing to do with an electric Tacoma.

14. May 3, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    stevesnj

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    It's handling it now. How many cars can it not handle?

doublethebass likes this.
  15. May 3, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    What percent of cars do you think are EV?

16. May 3, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    stevesnj

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    just under 2%. What percent do you base your theory on?

17. May 3, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    Benny blanco

Benny blanco Mr. Jiggletits

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben Day Ho
    Whoville<>Trollhättan
    Vehicle:
    21 Cement TRD OR MT
    Some stuff
    Supposedly it’s a federal requirement that they have to emit noise. It would be nice if it still sounds like a truck. Perhaps deeper and not so whiny.

the.sight.picture likes this.
  18. May 3, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    How many times is this going to be asked in this thread.

19. May 3, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    the percent needed to fulfill the current administrations reduction of emissions. Im pretty sure it would need to be around 60 percent of all new vehicles sold for the emissions reductions plan. Think about increasing the load on the our aging grid, with 60 percent of all new cars sold (what is that, a few million) plugging in? That's an easy equation.

20. May 3, 2021 at 3:52 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Dont get me wrong here, I want electric cars to succeed. I just don't believe in forcing the market. Let it work itself out, and let the market decide.

stevesnj and 2000prerunner23 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top