1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electric vs Gas Cost

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles (EVs)' started by Builder1, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Apr 30, 2024 at 11:39 PM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    I’m an engineer who researches so don’t agree with your claim. Sound like an exaggeration.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/...degrees,Automobile Association found in 2019.
    0FDEBC7D-BB27-45EC-9FD4-3F1242AB675F.jpg

2. Apr 30, 2024 at 11:54 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    I won’t argue with actual verifiable data. What I mentioned was just based on extensive personal experience with both in cold weather. Big benefit of the EV is immediate heat at those temps, something an ICE can’t do since it relies on waste heat energy for cabin heating. If the EV is plugged in before driving the energy loss from the battery in cold weather is negligible as the battery is already warmed.

Cetacean Sensation and maineah like this.
  3. May 1, 2024 at 12:17 AM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    From my research I fully agree that pre-heat of the battery charging at home helps a lot. However there is still significant range loss due to cabin heat. Not to say that this can’t be managed well as you appear to do. But for long range travel and charging in cold conditions this will be a challenge.

For my driving, mostly short range an EV would not be a problem with home charging. Bit I wouldn’t trade my Tacoma for one, I like it too much and do make occasional long trips and a quick stop for gas is my preference. Here’s an interesting article comparing impact of cold weather on various EV models you may find interesting.
    https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/winter-ev-range-loss

4. May 1, 2024 at 4:56 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I'm 78 years old I was the the vehicle repair business for 38 years have seen the good the bad and the ugly and have heard the fan boy sh## before because I drove and repaired foreign vehicles because of my age it's doubtful that I will be driving an electric Tacoma but I would in a heart beat. It is the future get used to it non fan boy, "the times they are a changing".

Cetacean Sensation likes this.
  5. May 1, 2024 at 7:54 AM
    RX1cobra

RX1cobra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    Since that study was conducted, in 2019, most EVs now use heat pumps to heat the cabin vs resistance heating. It uses about 1/3 of the power helping to preserve some of the range. So the tech keeps improving at a pretty fast rate.

6. May 1, 2024 at 9:16 AM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    Cetacean Sensation and SH10151 like this.
  7. May 1, 2024 at 9:22 AM
    Cetacean Sensation

Cetacean Sensation Never lost in a parking lot

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    6MT ELM Taco (slow) // N54 BMW 135 (fast)
    Yeah, EV rentals seem like a stupid idea. And I say that as someone who’s supported the EV industry since 2011 when I bought my first.

8. May 1, 2024 at 9:40 AM
    SH10151

SH10151 Farang

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR AC UP 4x4
    So electric cars don’t make sense if you live in an apartment or condo, they only make sense if you have your own home and have a dedicated high current charger in your garage.

They don’t make sense to rent.

They don’t make sense in the cold, But they are “working on it.”

You can buy a 10 year old used gasoline vehicle that will probably last you another 10 years because technology is bulletproof, or you can buy a used electric car at 7 to 10 years old and have to replace the battery at substantial cost, but don’t worry they are “working on it.”

I keep being told that perfectly refined gasoline technology is horse and buggy and electric cars are the future while hearing a ton of excuses why they currently don’t work, but don’t worry something magical will happen in the future.

9. May 1, 2024 at 10:25 AM
    Cetacean Sensation

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Do you have a question for me? Or are you just quoting me to yell at a cloud?

10. May 1, 2024 at 11:58 AM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing to get used to yet since the future is not here lol.
    I’m all for EVs and the technology improving, I’m just fully aware of the current state and the pro’s and con’s. That makes me an informed realist.
    Get used to reality, it’s here now.

11. May 1, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    SH10151

SH10151 Farang

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR AC UP 4x4
    I’m just trying to find out how EVs are supposed to replace ICE “real soon” when they’re not for anyone who isn’t a Bay Area techie with their own home who thinks a 30 minute drive is too far.

Herz renting Teslas was praised that EVs are now mainstream. Now they’re making excuses for it failing. I recall a CEO lost his job over this

It seems that every time the technology is shown to be deficient there’s the usual gaslighting that it’s going to get better.

12. May 1, 2024 at 12:23 PM
    Cetacean Sensation

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Cloud it is, then.

I travel a lot for work and I've rented a lot of cars. Electric car rentals don't make sense entirely because all mainstream car rental organizations are terrible. It has nothing to do with the efficacy of electric car ownership for individuals. Just because you don't want an electric car, doesn't mean there aren't tons of people who do. Fact is, there are tens of millions of Americans in living situations that are conducive to current electric car ownership, so I don't buy the excuses and exaggerations you've brought here.

Electric cars are great for some people, trucks are great for some people, and electric trucks are great for some people. Get the sand out of your shorts and grow up. Let people have their freedom of choice and expression.

13. May 1, 2024 at 12:30 PM
    Operator8

Operator8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodland Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Tacoma TRD OR
    38's, F&R Lockers, Tundra Rack, Gusseted Spindles, RC UCA's, Solo LCA's, Ripcord DIY Camper.
    As someone that owns an EV, a 9mpg Tacoma, and other ICE cars (and had 2 diesels), I'm more than understanding of the Pros and Cons. My family won't be going all EV anytime soon. But I do know that the industry is improving day by day. EV's coming out now compared to 5 years ago, have taken leaps in performance. It's not gaslighting to say, when a deficiency is brought up, that the technology is going to get better. I'm sure it's been mentioned already in this thread and in previous discussions about EV's. But go back to when cars 1st came out. People slighted cars for what they were comfortable with (trains, horses), but the automotive industry kept telling people that the performance of cars was going to improve, and low and behold it did "Over Time". I'm not here to say tomorrow the world is ready for everyone to be in an EV. But I do foresee a future where EV's (or some future technology gleaned from EV's) are the majority. It might be 15-25 years from now, but I don't think it's beyond possible.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    stevesnj, OZ-T and Cetacean Sensation like this.
  14. May 3, 2024 at 4:56 AM
    stevesnj

stevesnj Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser 80 Series

Products Discussed in

To Top