1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical Load

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MDBigRed, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    MDBigRed

MDBigRed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    So I have a lot of extra electrical load on my truck from off-road lights, strobe lights, air compressor, rock lights, etc. Is this going to hurt my alternator?? I am still using the factory toyota battery but i'm looking to upgrade to either a Diehard or Optima. Would it be better to have 2 batteries?? also i have just been hooking all of the power wires up the the little bolt inside the fuse box. Is this not a good thing? it is a little messy wiring but not too bad.. thanks

2. Sep 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Putco led map light bulbs, bed mat, Xiang trifecta tonneau, blackout front emblem, paint tow hoop, led bed light strip, scan gauge II, debadge, buff paint, oem fog light kit, 1000w inverter, Viair 300P compressor, Contura V dash switches, chop last L bend from exhaust, remove charcoal air filter, extinguisher, mag light, Ss side steps, kayak rack, tailgate security, bed mat security
    Depends how many you will use at once. Heavier alternator to keep up with the load would be the first mod ... larger capacity battery second.

Use relays, especially for the lighting. Run the lights via the relay contacts direct from the battery post and fuse the leads close to the battery. I'd mount the relays close to the battery to keep the load leads short. Use 12 gauge or better for 15 A DC load. (10 gauge is heavier than 12, eg.). You can use 16 gauge for the relay coil.

Two 100 watt bulbs draw about 15 amps. Four about 30 amps. You could be pushing the limits of the alternator after that, and you need enough juice left over to run the engine, headlights, and A/C, eg.

The battery is for starting the vehicle more than running the electrics. When the engine is running, the alternator supplies the load, and charges the battery. At slow engine speeds and idle, your accessory lighting load will draw down the battery, as the alternator won't put out enough. Thus the need for a heavier alternator.

I'd see what you are drawing during normal use (DC clamp on ammeter). Add the max power from all the loads you'll be running at one time. Plan for 80% capacity of your alternator. Ie don't load a 100A alternator past 80A, so it's not working at 100% duty cycle. It'll last a lot longer.

3. Sep 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    AZFizik

AZFizik Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    A worthwhile investment might be a terminal block clamp from a stereo shop. One that is setup to handle multiple power connections, and replace the stock one in your truck. You're drawing alot of power through a relatively cheap connection, and its just a bottleneck for the power going to everything. Something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211BC4PF/StreetWires-BC4PF.html?tp=2681

And +1 on checking the actual load on your alternator with an ammeter. That will tell you straight off where you're at with the load on your alt.

4. Sep 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    OK cool. This looks like a good investment for sure. I'm going to look around for alternators as well :)

5. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road 4x4 Barcelona Red
    You running the factory tow package?

It provides a 130A alternator and an HD battery...

The regular alternator is 100A...

6. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Yes, factory tow package! It's good I have a better alternator then the base model. I did think my battery was pretty big for stock and I've never had any issues so far with my battery or alternator (knock on wood)

7. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

Actually 120A standard and 140A tow package.

8. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I wouldn't bother with the alternator for now, neither with a second battery *unless you overland and have fridge and lights running all night).

Buy one of these - 6 or 12 connectors - (or two, depending on your load, they handle 100 Amps) and get a good connection to your battery

http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

They are about $35

If you run out of battery, get a Die Hard Platinum or Odyssey, largest you can fit in front.

9. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    yeah i've seen a lot of guys use these. I am going to install one to help protect all of my electrical stuff with fuses. It's always nice to have safety stuff in place so nothing gets fried

10. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road 4x4 Barcelona Red

...Not according to the Window Sticker or toyota.com.

11. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

My bad, I was talking about the main fuse in the fuse box. I see you were talking about the alternator itself.

12. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    I've got factory tow package and it came with 130A alt.:)

To Top