1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical woes with turn signal/abs/lights

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by vstrom, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Feb 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    vstrom

vstrom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi,

I have a 2010 I4 access cab and just recently I am having a few problems. It started off when the left hand turn signal is on it would flash the headlights and dash lights on in the same pattern. Now the left hand turn signal only flashes for 7 cycles.. the head light indicator doesn't come on but the lights actually do, but the taillights do not work. Neither do the brake lights. And now, just today, the ABS light came on and stayed on! It doesn't seem to do anything, including actually working.

This has all started to happen a few weeks ago.

I live pretty far north, 750km away from a dealership, and the only place that would do warranty work is completely un-trustworthy and I refuse to take it there.

I have an aftermarket trailer hitch that just snaps into the taillights, but I've had that since right after I bought the truck. All these issues have just cropped up pretty quickly.

If anyone else has seen anything like this let me know.. the dealership has never heard of it. I've tried to search but haven't seen anything close yet. My next step is to disconnect the trailer hitch wiring.. if that doesn't work then I'll have to borrow a garage and let it de-frost for a night. I wonder if a combination of snow and stupid cold may have shorted something out. (-40 can cause problems I guess).

Thanks

2. Feb 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    2010whitetaco

2010whitetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaston
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    single cab 5-lug
    ReadyLift 2 3/4 front 1 3/4 rear universal armrest Texas Rangers decal 235/75/15 Goodyear Duratracs Kobalt Slim Line Compact Truck Tool Box Secondary air filter removed TOYOTA decal on tailgate
    -40:eek: bump...
    I haven’t heard of anything like that either.

3. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    disk_55FL

disk_55FL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    disk
    Buckeye
    '17 TRD Sport MT
    Have you disconnected the battery ( some people say for an hour - IDN ) to " reset " the computer ?

Then if that doesn't help.....try to undo any " mods " ( one at a time ) then " reset " again......this may help to trouble shoot it.

I've had an electrical gremlin on my '10 AC I4......ABS light etc....and it seems the computer wouldn't forget 'till I " killed " it's memory.

4. Feb 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    vstrom

vstrom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guess I'll update..

Sunday: I had to go to the dump (i'm doing some reno's at home) and the truck wouldnt start. Only the low oil light and dooe open light came on with the key. Took the battery out and trickle charged it for 3-4 hours. Put it back in and it starts. The problems from before are still there. I disconnect the trailer hitch from the taillights.. the problems are still there.

Sooo.. what I figure is that a wire, somewhere, has broken or chaffed and is now grounding out, causing my problems and, as a added bonus, killing my battery.

Guess Ill have to call up the shop and hope they don't make it any worse. I'm too busy to poke at it, plus my small garage is full of crap from this house reno.

And here I was thinkin I had a bullet proof machine.

Products Discussed in

To Top