1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Caltech90, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Feb 9, 2017 at 1:49 AM
    Caltech90

Caltech90 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
  2. Feb 9, 2017 at 3:18 AM
    Ngotoma

Ngotoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Best friend went to Embry-Riddle for Aerospace Engineering in Daytona. He did 5 years there, was a lot of work but he enjoyed it for the most part.

Today, he wouldn't go there since the tuition started becoming astronomical during his stay there, his tuition was grandfathered in while he was there. Also if you like flying, the pilot students there need seat time and always looking for folks to fly with them. Just need to realize also that they are students and may not be the best choice haha.

Caltech90[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 9, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    Caltech90

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
    I wish I lived close enough to go to the campus. I've heard 50/50 reviews about the campus degrees, but no one really says much about the online degrees.

4. Feb 9, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    Sheepshead45

Sheepshead45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Graduated in '86, ERAU is a different place now altogether.

If you want to work in the aviation industry, it's an excellent credential.

Joe D and Caltech90[OP] like this.
  5. Feb 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    Caltech90

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
    I currently work in aviation, but not having my degree is holding me back so it's time invest in one. Thanks for the input.

6. Feb 10, 2017 at 9:07 PM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    I did ERAU online for my bachelors degree. It worked out well for me at the time but I have heard tuition has jumped. I spent time at a local community college where I earned an AA which provided me with a bunch of credits along with the pilot certificates/ratings. What time span are you aiming for to complete the degree in? It took me about 2.5 years to finish my degree online as I took 2 classes per term and paid as I went.

7. Feb 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM
    Caltech90

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
    I'm currently taking core classes at a local college. I would like to take 2 classes per term, but it will take me longer than 2.5 years I'm sure. I only have about 20 hours now. My company pays for tuition after I pass a class so I could only afford about 2 per term at $365 per credit hour. In 2018 it's going up to $375 per hour.

8. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:28 AM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    Yikes. I remember budgeting about $1500/term when I went. It is amazing to see how high the costs are. But being able to afford 2 per term is probably about right if you are also working full time. Beyond that would be a lot harder to have a balance between work, school, and life. Biggest thing is keep chipping away at it.

9. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    HeavyThumbs

HeavyThumbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 OR AC
    Snugtop shell, group buy addiction
    I work with a bunch of people who got degrees from ER...I make the same money as all of them. The only difference is that they spent 20x what my bachelors degree from a state school cost and they are still paying it off 10-15 years later. My advice is to not waste your money, get a degree from a cheaper accredited school and you'll do just as well - and be ahead on saving for retirement, which you will want to come as quickly as possible if you're working in avionics.

10. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    MojaveMadman

MojaveMadman Cali Raised LED

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    If you start with a school like this, Phoenix, UMUC, AMU or the other online options that are NOT backed by a solid university then you will forever be stuck with them. If you get a BS from them then decide you wanna say go to UCLA for a masters degree you will not be competitive... So any post grad work will need to remain with the purely online/worldwide schools.

I suggest looking into some of the other options. I may be wrong but I think Texas A&M offers a 90% online engineering degree.

Just speaking from experience, not ER specifically. But I got my undergrad online and when I tried to get my MBA from a brick and mortar school it was hard to get moving. Luckily I scored high on my GMAT to make up. I wouldn't suggest relying on something like that.

A side note to consider, where do you plan to work. If it's for the Government then the quality of school is less important. But any large corporations will judge you hard. I know friends in similar fields that won't even look at applications from online schools. Just understand it will close certain doors. If your not interested in those options the do what's easier.

11. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    What do you do in aviation? Get a business degree from anywhere, a degree from riddle just means you paid more than evreyone else.

I started at a local school getting an aviation specific degree, i switched it to business degree and my work expirience got me farther than my degree did. Curretly work in a safety role at an airline.

I dont know what you want to do, but i recomend getting an A&P. There is going to be a big time mechanic shortage starting in 5yrs.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  12. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    I'm curious, did those people do their entire degree at ER? If so I could see that on the cost. There are definitely ways to reduce the cost like what the OP is doing with getting basic credits at a local school before transferring for the remainder. Another factor he will need to consider is how much work experience credit ER may give him which could further reduce the total cost. It is definitely smart to shop around before committing. Get some opinions and research them but ultimately decide what is best for you and your situation.

13. Feb 13, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    Sheepshead45

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    After reading some replies here I had the see what current tuition was at ER, and I'm just stunned. $35k per year??? Not to date myself but when I went it was $1,200 per semester. I went back to the campus a few years back and it was unrecognizable. I would hope it's a far better school now than back in my time; $140k+ for the 4 year degree I received would be a simply horrible value. It was OK, and got my foot in the door with an airline or 2, but I later went for an MBA at GWU in DC and the quality of teaching & resources was light years better than Riddle.

I don't know how anyone makes the economics of this work. If you do the flight training program, I imagine you can add $150k to the cost? So a $300k degree qualifies you to get worked nearly to death for a commuter airline making $40k per year, or flight instructing for $20 clams an hour? No wonder there's a pilot shortage.

Damn.

HeavyThumbs likes this.
  14. Feb 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    Pretty much. I would have to do some real research to see what my degree cost but I am sure finishing my BS with ER online was under $20K. I already had my AA and flight training done before enrolling. There are definitely cheaper alternatives.

15. Feb 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    HeavyThumbs

HeavyThumbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 OR AC
    Snugtop shell, group buy addiction
    Yes, they got their degree(s) entirely from Riddle.

As others have noted, it just comes down to what works for your situation.

16. Feb 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    Caltech90

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
    I'm a "Lab Tech" by title, I work in a calibration lab. I calibrate all kinds of instruments pressure, flow, electrical, temperature, precision measurement, ADTS, ALTS etc..
    So I guess I should of been more clear on my goals. I want to work in engineering.
    Long term goal: R&D Engineering
    My BS has to be 100% online due to my work schedule and family. I don't want to be tied down to the aviation industry with a specialized degree if something happens. That's why this BSE appealed to me it has aeronautical, mechanical and electrical engineering within the degree.

17. Feb 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I think our cal lab guys make more than our engineers here lol! The engineers i talked to have a mixed bag of schools they went to, so i would just get an engineering degree and not focus too much on ER, IMO.

HeavyThumbs likes this.
  18. Feb 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM
    Caltech90

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
    Well I make as much as an entry level engineer, but my top out pay is about half.
    For example top out in the cal lab for me will be about $75k where as top out for the right engineer can be $140k+

Edit: This is at my company anyways.

19. Feb 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    That's a significant difference. I would definitely consider how long it will take to complete the degree at different schools as well as how much previous credit each will provide. Lots to consider.

20. Feb 13, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    Sheepshead45

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I think the main advantage of an ER degree is that it demonstrates a passion & desire to work in aviation.

Aside from this, I would say if you want to keep your marketability as broad as possible, go to the best school you can get into & afford.

I went the other way. When I was young I was sure I'd spend my career in aviation. As my career progressed, I grew tired of the instability and roller coaster ride of working for airlines always on the brink of bankruptcy, and wanted to broaden my skills to be attractive in other industries. While I will never regret my days at ER and airline career, if I were to do it all over again knowing what I know today I would not have gone to ER.

Caltech90[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top