1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Emergency access. Proposed magnetic unlock switch mod.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mizuh, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Aug 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Base models are not chipped.
    My '08 is not chipped.

2. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    raskal

raskal Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD MGM
    wow. did not know that.

thanks!

3. Aug 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    My '10 isn't chipped ... :(

Mine is an SR5 ... full package ... power locks/windows/mirrors/keyless entry ... no chip (immobilizer) ... :eek:

4. Aug 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Not just the base models with no chips.

Same with my 2012 SR5 prerunner.

I do have power locks/windows/mirrors/keyless entry and no chip.

5. Aug 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Just had a thought, might want to check this before "investing" any more time and parts in the project.

On the RS3200 system on my '03 Tundra and the RS3000 on my wife's '04 Rav4, if the door is locked with the remote, it has to be unlocked with the remote or with the key or it will trigger the alarm.

If your magnetic switch is connected to the interior door panel switch, that would trigger the alarm.

Try it....

Sit in the truck, cycle the ignition, open the door, close the door, lock it with the remote, wait a few minutes, then unlock the door using the interior switch and open the door.

6. Aug 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    This is was also true on my wife's Sienna Van. We locked my son in the van on a trip and he woke up and unlocked the door ... Alarms and lights as he nearly shit himself :p

7. Aug 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya... I don't remember what happens if the door is locked from the inside panel and then closed.
    I have had vehicles (maybe my '08 4-runner company car?) that would not lock if the door was open.

8. Aug 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    2006KJ

2006KJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Front Royal VA
    another simple solution. get yourself a spare lock/unlock fob... plastic sandwich bag... and some black gorilla tape. put the fob in the bag. and tape it around a brace/ location where you cant see it.. but you can still reach it to squeeze in the 'right' spot to unlock it. or lock it. just tape it so the buttons are accessible. No one will suspect a key to be gorilla taped anywhere. the black blends nicely.

9. Aug 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
  10. Aug 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    mizuh

mizuh [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Despite all of the great advice in this thread that I buy a magnetic key holder, or add a hidden exterior switch, or find myself a real hobby :), I went ahead and installed it this weekend. I did this more for the enjoyment of doing the work than the true need to have it.

As Rich91710 and Joes06Tacoma pointed out, the interior door switch function is disabled if the vehicle is locked using the key fob. Because of this, the install doesn't serve as an emergency access as I initially hoped (at least until I break the habit of always locking the doors with the key fob). That being said, it DOES serve it's primary purpose, which is to allow me to lock my keys in the vehicle and still have access. When locking my keys in, I am basically forced to use the door switch to lock the truck, so I'm not concerned about accidentally locking them in and then being unable to access via the magnetic switch.

I initially installed the sensor in the cavity between the triangular bracket and gasket where the driver's mirror is bolted to the door. Oddly, with the door open, the sensor worked. With the door shut, there was enough interference from the metal of the door+frame that it didn't work. Moving the sensor to the INSIDE of the mirror works like a charm.

All in all, it took about 2 hours of work, which would have been considerably less had I installed the sensor inside the mirror to begin with. Total cost <$10.

I'm happy with the results and the minor feeling of accomplishment ain't bad. I guess that's what counts.

11. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Non-chipped key in a lettle magnetic plastic box up high under the fender with a chipped (expensive) key hidden inside the truck. I used a couple wraps of electrical tape around the little plastic box to make sure it won't open accidentally. This is a great system that has been working for me for the past 2-1/2 years and the little box hasn't moved (must be good magnets). I won't get locked out or left unable to start my truck.

12. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's

Products Discussed in

To Top