1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine code bonanza - help wanted

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by dcoursler, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Mar 24, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    dcoursler

dcoursler [OP] They call me Tater Salad

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Alabaster, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Currie Rock Jock High Pinion 60, JD Fab EVERYTHING, Fox shocks, Radflo Shocks, Archive Garage all the other things, spinny thing on top of the motor
    Well truck has been in the shop a few weeks as I’ve knocked out some projects on it.now that I’ve got it outside and fired up I’ve got some pending trouble codes....

First off the work I’ve done to it over the last little while:
    Deatsworks 320 fuel pump and the URD upgrade
    Exhaust cam gears by @mightytacoman
    Spark plugs
    Supercharger cleaned and serviced
    Fj transfer case swap
    Add delete

needless to say it was a lot of work and now of course I’ve got issues that I didn’t have before....
    I have the following pending codes P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305, P219A

I am going to verify all connections again for safety sake and then I’m not sure where to start or what to think the issue is. Any thoughts or suggestions here?
    Thanks guys

2. Mar 24, 2021 at 8:22 AM
    dcoursler

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Alabaster, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Currie Rock Jock High Pinion 60, JD Fab EVERYTHING, Fox shocks, Radflo Shocks, Archive Garage all the other things, spinny thing on top of the motor
    Oh also I had the ECU tuned by @JustDSM for all of the upgrades.
    The truck runs great when you start it up.

sounds great when you hit the throttle. Tons of throttle response and revs perfectly but when you put it in gear it instantly starts running rough and throwing codes

3. Mar 24, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Those p030* are all misfire codes with 219a being an afr imbalance usually in cylinder 1.
    My thoughts are to check all electrical connections. Consider removing the tune and return to stock trd tune (temporarily) to eliminate that possibility.

BassAckwards likes this.
  4. Mar 24, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    dcoursler

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Alabaster, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I am trying the immobilized sequence a second time currently and have been checking every plug. They all seem tight. There isn’t a whole lot that I can screw up with the Cam gear install. Removed the factory and installed yours.... nothing too complicated there.

5. Mar 24, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    dcoursler

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Alabaster, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I jumped the pins and re set my immobilized but have the same codes. Checked all connections everything looks fine to me. I’ve not found a single loose connection. I greased all with dialectic grease and contact cleaned them all as I was assembling. All bolts are paint marked.... it possible I screwed up the timing on the cam gear install? I removed the factory and replaced with the new directly. Nothing crazy there. There a way to go back and check the timing now?

6. Mar 24, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Only way to confirm timing would be to pull the valve covers again. I have a good video on the cam gear sale page (post 1 towards to bottom) of "perfect" timing.
    I'm pm-ing you my number too.

BassAckwards and Torspd like this.
  7. Mar 24, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    If you have any pics of it with the valve covers off to check timing- send them my way or post em up here

8. Mar 24, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    dcoursler

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Alabaster, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Well in case anyone had any question as to how the customer service is from @mightytacoman it’s top freaking notch!! Thanks to Kel’s help I was able to diagnose I am in fact a 100 % idiot. I had the cam gear installed 180 degrees out. Or some would say upside down :annoyed:

Truck runs fantastic now except the shit ass Napa filter with the URD kit started leaking after a short 15 min test drive. Started leaking out of the face of the filter.

9. Mar 24, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Glad I was able to help you out brother. As for that URD/Napa filter- at least you can get them pretty cheap at almost any auto parts store.

JustDSM likes this.
  10. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    dcoursler

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Alabaster, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    No doubt! Already got it replaced

seriously I owe you a beer!

mightytacoman[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    That is really odd, on the filter. Really.

Glad it was such a simple fix and @mightytacoman was there to help you resolve it. :thumbsup:

BassAckwards likes this.
  12. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:35 AM
    dcoursler

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Alabaster, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Agreed. It has a pinhole leak that would start spewing when running.
    Bad luck is better than none I always say!

truck runs fantastic now. Seriously the power feels night and day with the changes. I’d recommend to all boosted folks to do the cam gear swap (don’t screw it up like I did) and the fuel pump upgrade. The smaller pulley is just because we can’t leave good enough alone :spending:

mightytacoman and Torspd[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    That's the enthusiasm!

Products Discussed in

To Top