1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine coolant temps

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HardCase, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    HardCase

HardCase [OP] Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    I'm just sorta curious, I got my '08 Taco in March and soon thereafter got a ScanGaugeII for it. One of the items I monitor is water temperature. I noticed this summer that mine (a 2.7L 4 cyl) usually ran at 198 or 199F all the time, whether I had AC running or not, regardless of how warm the outside air was, how fast I was going, how much of a load I was hauling, etc. I realize that a thermostat regulates water temp but this is a little bit higher than my other vehicles run, they seem typically to be about 10 degrees cooler. What is considered normal?

2. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Thats pretty warm. Considering my 98 2.4L runs 181deg in the heat of the summer. Are the coolant levels good?

3. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    HardCase

HardCase [OP] Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    Levels look to be okay. I thought it was a little warm too, but the fact that it doesn't vary much seemed like a positive.

4. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Maybe the newer models run warmer? Someone with your year will chime in

5. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I used to use Water Wetter in my Motorcycle... not sure if it's good to use in Tacos or not...

6. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:40 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB

Water Wetter and Engine Ice are great products for lowering coolant temps. Mostly marketed towards the motorcycle community though.

7. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:42 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    You use 'em in your Taco at all?

8. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Nope, no overheating problems or hot temps. Plus the stuff is a little spendy, since im trying to save up for the TURBO!!!!

9. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

What turbo? Only turbo I know of is an STS.... They wanted me to call for specifics... but I never did. What is that gonna run you?

10. Oct 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    T3/T4 intercooled. Going to run about 6psi with minimal fuel mods. Its going to be a custom project.

11. Oct 22, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
  12. Oct 23, 2008 at 2:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I wouldn't worry about it - as long as it's consistant (check fluids, etc).

I have an 07 4.0L and the highest temp I've got ever is 184.

What's normal? I don't think there's anything that's considered 'normal' - Each and every vehicle will be different.

You think your truck is running hot? On our corvette - the cooling fans don't even come on until the temp reaches 225. And I've seen the temps on that thing reach up to 300+ during regular driving in summer.

13. Oct 23, 2008 at 7:56 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

Cool - Apparently they make on here too: http://www.ststurbo.com/toyota_tacoma
    Dunno how much it costs....

14. Oct 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod

Relax. I'm getting the same range in temp from my scanguage as well. You're normal.

Mine runs 197-199 as well.

I believe the manufacturers do this because the tolerances are much closer and the added heat frees up the motor to take advantage of it. As an added measure, I'll religiously allow the motor to warm-up for 1.5 minutes before I put any load on it....and then I'll drive easy until the temp comes up to the 170 mark on the scanguage. My father, on the other hand, is of the type that he'll start and go......I can just hear the engine screaming at him that "I'm dry, jeeze....lemme get a splash of lube oil first for crying out loud" :)

Products Discussed in

To Top