1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine died while driving

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 99nmtaco, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    99nmtaco

99nmtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift -(Bilstein 5100 adjustable front with Eibach Coils, Bilstein 5100 rears w/ Deaver aal), B.A.M.F. BPV relocate bracket, Hella 500's with DDM Tuning HID mod, Aero 2525XL muffler "Freakin Sweet!", Custom built Linear Actuated Light Bar w 1-32" LED bar, Custom Rear Bumper with Swing Out Tire Carrier
    Hi guys I have a 99 tacoma sr5 with the 3.4 v6 and a 5spd tranny which has 211,000 miles on it. I had just left a friends house tonight and I went to shift into 2nd when the truck started to sputter. I let off the gas and slowly began to accelerate again and it did fine until I hit 2500rpm and went to shift to 3rd when it began sputtering again. I pulled over and it was idiling fine. I got out and checked my battery wires thinking it may be a loose terminal and it wasnt. I began driving again and it did fine for about a 1/2 mile then it started to sputter, the check engine light was flashing on and off and the temp guage went through the roof all of a sudden and the truck died. The weird thing is even with the truck off and the key out of the ignition the check engine light stays on and the temp guage stays all the way in the red. When I removed the efi fuse the locks clicked and the guages reset. After towing it home I attempted to start it again and it started right up. It smoked a little from the engine but I dont know where from? It ran fine until I reversed it then drove it forward it decided to die again and wont start. The check engine light remains on even with the key out of it. It has the factory alarm system and I was wondering if this could have anything to do with it? Maybe a short in the wiring? It hasnt been overheating at all before this and I just had the water pump, timing belt, and coolant changed out about 6 months ago at the dealer. Anyone know what could be causing this to happen?

2. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:29 AM
    Battle Pope

Battle Pope Christ-a-licious

Member:
    First Name:
    Korben
    Class 6
    Vehicle:
    Automatic 5 Lug
    squash air freshner
    If your temp is at the red most likely its your coolant system. A leak somewhere or a cracked head/gasket. Check your coolant level when car is cool see if its empty. Fill with water then check after driving if you loose capacity.

Just my initial thoughts. Also not to be a dick but use paragraphs next time you write an "epic tale". Good luck.

3. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM
    donaldwagner

donaldwagner -Don-

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    College Park, Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2013 single cab 4x4
    checked to make sure your maf sensor is plugged in on the intake, also unhook the battery while its running see if your alternator is good

4. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Definately check the cooling system first & foremost - or else you won't have much of an engine left if its dry as a bone.

Get the Check Engine Light codes checked.

Pull the dipstick and see if there's any water in the oil.

Report back to us and let us know what's up........

5. Nov 19, 2011 at 3:01 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    if it was his alternator, he wouldnt be able to start his truck again after it does because the battery will be too dead. ran into this problem lol.
    doesnt hurt to check, if your trucks running and you pull the positive off the battery it should still run, if it dies it is your alternator.

does it seem like its a fuel issue? only when your in higher rpms? could be like a clogged up fuel filter, but its still letting some gas through it

6. Nov 19, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    99nmtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift -(Bilstein 5100 adjustable front with Eibach Coils, Bilstein 5100 rears w/ Deaver aal), B.A.M.F. BPV relocate bracket, Hella 500's with DDM Tuning HID mod, Aero 2525XL muffler "Freakin Sweet!", Custom built Linear Actuated Light Bar w 1-32" LED bar, Custom Rear Bumper with Swing Out Tire Carrier
    Thanks for all of the input guys! Im definately gonna start lookin at all this after I get outta class this morning. Ill keep you guys updated.

7. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    99nmtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Well heres an update for everyone. I checked all fluid levels and there all good. Theres plenty of coolant in the radiator, the oil looks good, and I changed out the fuel filter and the truck still wont start. Just from cranking it over the temp guage went up all the way after the first try. Im at a loss for what it could be? :confused: I guess the next thing Ill do is take the alt off and go have it tested?

8. Nov 19, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    XwesleysnipesX

XwesleysnipesX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Batesville, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4L 2x4 (sold). 2002 2.7L sr5 4x4 (sold)
    Usually when a check engine light flashes it's for a coil pack. Do 99's have coil packs or plug wires?

9. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    99nmtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    It has the coil packs. Im waiting on my cousin right now he has a code scanner so hopefully Ill know more in the next few hours. Again thank you everyone for all the input I really appreciate it! :)

Haha I got what you were sayin... you know thermometer / thermostat same difference. lol! :D

10. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    So.Cal Taco

So.Cal Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    1996 4x4 v6
    Total Chaos Long travel Total Chaos Spindle Gussets, Nathan Air Chime K3LA's,Onboard Air system,K&N intake,Chuys 200 plus Amp Alternator,All Pro front Bumper,Lots of Dynamat,99 tacoma Gas Tank Mod ''Secret'' maybe I'll Tell
    Check the group of wires that ground on the intake manifold might be loose looking at the motor right side on manifold

11. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    99nmtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :goingcrazy: Haha just went out to check them after I saw this post. The bolt that holds the wires in was way loose and about to fall out. Thanks for all the help everyone and thank you So. Cal Taco my truck is now running perfect!

12. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    So.Cal Taco

So.Cal Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    1996 4x4 v6
    Total Chaos Long travel Total Chaos Spindle Gussets, Nathan Air Chime K3LA's,Onboard Air system,K&N intake,Chuys 200 plus Amp Alternator,All Pro front Bumper,Lots of Dynamat,99 tacoma Gas Tank Mod ''Secret'' maybe I'll Tell
    No problem glad i could help

13. Apr 9, 2016 at 2:12 PM
    Deere9798

Deere9798 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Western NY
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4x4

My 2001 2.7L Tacoma with 295,000 miles is acting the same way. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Charlie

To Top