1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine hesitation...

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by moondog, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Jan 31, 2017 at 1:37 PM
    SOMDTACO

SOMDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Southern Maryland
    Vehicle:
    96 Extended Cab 4x4 2.7 MT
    New Taco: 96 DLX Extended Cab 4x4 2.7,MT, Bilstein 5100s at 2.5 and HS 3 Leaf AAL Old Taco: 11 Prerunner Maxtrac Spindles in the front, 2'' AAL with Bilstein 5100 extended in the back. 18'' Milanni Stellars wrapped in 265/70/18 General Grabber tires.
    The FSM calls out what acceptable ohm readings are across certain distributor contacts. For a visual inspection take off the distributor cap and take a look at the coil for cracks. Attached is a picture of my bad distributor. had cracks all through it and was way out of spec. Also was not TOYOTA OEM. Replaced it with an OEM distributor off a junker and it solved everything. Here is my thread for reference.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2-7-stumbles-and-bucks-under-load-solved.449971/

20160927_191752.jpg

2. Feb 5, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    jacoboe21

jacoboe21 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rzfe
    After checking tons of parts I finally tried the distributor and it fixed my stuttering issue!! Thank SOMDTACO!

SOMDTACO likes this.
  3. Feb 6, 2017 at 12:22 PM
    grantcrose

grantcrose Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma, 2.7L Manual
    Mine is an '06 so no distributor, it has individual coil packs.

4. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    mshane

mshane Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Liberal, KS
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma DLX
    5000K HID Halo Headlights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster 40 Series, Fabtech Suspension, Kenwood stereo, X-Treme 600 Watt amp, JL Audio 12inch sub, plastidip eagle alloy rims.
    So I replaced the entire distributor and guess what.......no more problems at all!!! I think it had somehing to do with the ignition coil in the distributor

SOMDTACO likes this.
  5. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    mshane

mshane Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Liberal, KS
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma DLX
    5000K HID Halo Headlights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster 40 Series, Fabtech Suspension, Kenwood stereo, X-Treme 600 Watt amp, JL Audio 12inch sub, plastidip eagle alloy rims.
    So I replaced the entire distributor and guess what......no more stuttering/hesitation problems anymore. Pretty sure it had something to do with the ignition coil inside the distributor, but hey I'm glad that I was able to get it fixed

SOMDTACO likes this.
  6. Jun 11, 2023 at 8:11 PM
    SOMDTACO

SOMDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Southern Maryland
    Vehicle:
    96 Extended Cab 4x4 2.7 MT
    New Taco: 96 DLX Extended Cab 4x4 2.7,MT, Bilstein 5100s at 2.5 and HS 3 Leaf AAL Old Taco: 11 Prerunner Maxtrac Spindles in the front, 2'' AAL with Bilstein 5100 extended in the back. 18'' Milanni Stellars wrapped in 265/70/18 General Grabber tires.
    So just wanted to add to my original thread. My truck started having terrible performance sporadically. It was different this time than last time. Would run fine sometimes, then other times fall flat on its face trying to come from a stop. Idle would be all over the place then sputter out and stall. I'd have to keep it reved high at red lights. It was bad. Last time I fixed it I used a junk yard distributor from another 96, so I figured maybe it has just gone bad again. Well, I took a look at the coil and it had a huge crack. I bought a brand new OEM coil from Toyota and put it in. Don't even have to remove the whole distributor, just take off the cap, rotor, and protection cover. It's plug and play for the new coil.

The new coil immediately solved my issue. Running better than maybe it ever has. Amazing. During this round of troubleshooting I found this great link with tons of information relating to bad coils/distributors on Toyota corrolas. See, Tacomas only had a distributor for the 95's and 96's. So there's not a lot of operating experience on them when you have an issue. The corrolas had the same style coil/distributor for quite a few years so there's a lot more information to pull from. Linked below.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/list-of-confirmed-distributor-at-fault-issues.1239322/

Steves104x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top