1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Hesitation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by klavallee, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    klavallee

klavallee [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vt
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab
    Greetings from Vermont. I am a first time Toyota owner. Actually, this is my first foreign vehicle. The reliability and resale values of the Tacoma were just too good to pass up.

I own a 2009 Tacoma double cab with the 6ft bed. I love the truck. I'm having a couple of issues that my local dealer says is "normal" for these vehicles. I'm hoping that this isn't true because they are annoying me greatly. I'm wondering if anyone can help.

At speeds between 35 and 45, when cruising at a consistent speed, the engine feels like it is hesitating. It's not hesitating a ton, but enough to frustrate me. Of course the dealer tech said he couldn't find anything wrong so they didn't do any kind of engine testing.

The other thing is the way the engine downshifts. Regardless of the speed, when I take my foot off the gas, the engine grabs the truck like you were driving a standard. As it approaches the next gear to downshift to, if grabs tighter and tighter and then downshifts rather hard into the lower gear. The tech told me that this was normal for the 09 Tacoma and tried to blame the government requirements on mileage. He said "You have to give up something to get the mileage".

So now I have my first Toyota vehicle and I'm told that it is "normal" for the vehicle to shake and downshift hard. It's not a very pleasant ride for me or my passengers.

If anyone has experienced these issues and had them treated as "problems" by their dealer, I would love to hear from you so that I can talk to my dealer with more information.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to gathering and sharing information in this forum.

2. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Welcome to TW!!

3. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

URBIKESUCKS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    work in progress
    alot of people myself included are having issues w/ the trans and it's shift program.

To Top