1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

engine howling very loud

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shampoop, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    shampoop

shampoop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma extracab v6 5spd trd 4x4
    alright so my friend's tacoma is making a very loud howling sound that's coming from the engine bay. it increases and decreases with rpm and he says that it doesn't really get much louder though going from like 3-4k rpm. he said it's so loud that he's scared the engine's gonna blow up when he's driving on the highway. i'm thinking it might be the fan clutch so we're gonna try removing the fan and starting it without.

any ideas on what it might be or where we should look? keep in mind that this is a pretty abused truck with around 150k miles on it.

5vz 5 speed btw.

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    angela

angela Well-Known Member

Member:
    could be a fan clutch, but usually they dont fail in the locked position. i would try warming the truck up to operating temp, shut the truck off and test the resistance with your hand before removing it.

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    shampoop

shampoop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma extracab v6 5spd trd 4x4
    alright found out what it was. turned out to be the alternator of all things. crazy. it was so loud that you couldn't pinpoint where the sound was coming from and i didn't think a alt could get that noisy. the only thing that tipped us off was the battery light eventually came on for a little while.

To Top