1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine - Louser Than Normal - Knocking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JBRICENO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mar 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    JBRICENO

JBRICENO [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 TACOMA TRD SPORT SHORT BED DOUBLE CAB
    Anyone out there think their Tacoma 4.0L V6 makes more engine noise than what would be considered normal for these engines? I know the engines are noisy due to the hydraulic system and the fuel injection system. However, when my engine is cold (at initial start up), I don't hear it nearly as much. Once it's been driven a bit, the driver's side tends to be noisier, more of a low faint knocking, not pinging. I've had it at the dealer a couple of time, including today, and the service Manager has looked at it each time. His findings are that it is normal and nothing out of the ordinary. No TSB's on this issue either.

Anyone else experience this? I've tried switching oils form the conventional factory oil to Synthetics and even went to 10/40 but still no changes. Used Castrol and Mobil 1.

2. Mar 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Try running different octane gas.....just to see if anything changes.

3. Mar 18, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    JBRICENO

JBRICENO [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 TACOMA TRD SPORT SHORT BED DOUBLE CAB
    Yep! Tried changing fuel grade to higher octane in the beginning. However, paying closer attention to the noise, it's not that type of related noise. It sounds as if a lifter is not charging correctly or perhaps a valve is out of adjustment with too much gap. However, these engines have neither of those adjustments nor components anymore.

Dealer keeps checking and returning truck with no issues. I figured as long as I take it in periodically with the same complaint and they document their no findings, then one day, if I do have an issue, there's at least a record of the complaints.

Not sure what else to do. We have two Toyota dealerships where I live and both are owned by same but one (the original shop) has a much better service dept.

4. Mar 18, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    aFe Pro Dry air filter, magnetic oil drain plug, synthetic seat covers, steering wheel cover
    Have you listened with the hood up, listened closely? Maybe you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Otherwise, if it drives fine, has good power and the CEL is not throwing any codes, just turn up the radio...? Not sure what else to tell ya'

5. Mar 18, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I'm sure it's normal. These engines are very noisy, they sound like they have a exhaust leak.

6. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I think you are talking about that VSV valve tick (small electric solenoid attached to cover on driver side)
    Thats normal nothing to fix here.:D

7. Dec 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    Jarrid

Jarrid Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 4.0
    Stock
    I think it's the VVT-I tick/tock [rattle]

8. Dec 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Az
    Mine sounds like a sewing machine, but its sounded that way since mile 1. Same with both of my parents Taco's, its just the nature of the beast.

9. Dec 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    there IS a valve adjustment, but i've never heard of anyone having to do it. checking valve lash alone looks like a pita procedure. you must remove the cams to adjust. you just put in a different thickness "bucket" over the valve tappet (i think thats right) to get proper clearance.

no rocker arms, no lifters, no rods, just a cam (well, four), on upside down "buckets", on valves so no worries

To Top