1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine rocking?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mr.trd, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    mr.trd

mr.trd [OP] Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant Luckow
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon UCA, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, OME Dakar w/ AAL, custom Crown Performance brake lines, U-bolt flip, factory 16's w/ 255/85R16 BFG KM2's and 16x8 bronze Konig Countersteer Offroads wrapped in 295/75R16 BFG KO's, CBI Off-Road Fab. Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Rigid Duallies, FYRLYT's on the front, Bestop soft topper, BHLM, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust behind cracked Doug Thorley prototype long tube headers. URD spec-U headers on order.
    We found something very unusual with my truck this weekend. It is scheduled to go in tomorrow to check the frame and all the mounts. Anyway this is what is happening. When I "launch" the truck, ie- take off aggressively, I was getting a grinding/rubbing noise. Come to find out it was the fan blade rubbing on the bottom of the fan shroud. Now we "launched the truck in parking lot with the hood up several times and when the truck launches like that the entire motor tips foward. But when you just powerbrake the truck, the motor rocks side to side, like normal. No one I have talked to has said that they have ever seen a motor dive down like that at the nose. But then again most people don't drive around with there hood open so see what the motor really does, but you would like it rocks from side to side not forward. If anyone can think of something let me know and I will let you all know what they find tomorrow. Ohh it is a '06 d-cab automatic with just about 32K on it.

2. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:39 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Check this out and see if it sounds similar:
    http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49360

3. Dec 8, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    My truck a 2005 a/c v6 has done the same thing. The bottom of my fan shroud is cracked and the fins are chipped on my blade!

4. Dec 8, 2008 at 11:38 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If it were, it might be easier to get them to fix it.

5. Dec 9, 2008 at 9:26 AM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant Luckow
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon UCA, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, OME Dakar w/ AAL, custom Crown Performance brake lines, U-bolt flip, factory 16's w/ 255/85R16 BFG KM2's and 16x8 bronze Konig Countersteer Offroads wrapped in 295/75R16 BFG KO's, CBI Off-Road Fab. Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Rigid Duallies, FYRLYT's on the front, Bestop soft topper, BHLM, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust behind cracked Doug Thorley prototype long tube headers. URD spec-U headers on order.
    Yeah posted it on there too.

Just got a call and they claim that my crossmember is bent and that is why the it is too close to the shroud to allow for normal engine movement. Now how my crossmember is bent and the exhaust is still factory and not completely crunched is a oddity in the least. I will go look at it with them and make them prove it cause have not hit anything. And how is a bent crossmember allow for movement in the forward direction, that noone else has ever seen. It has to be something in the mounting that has flex. We will see. Truck may be for sale very soon.

6. Dec 10, 2008 at 9:44 AM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant Luckow
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    So I went down and talked to them and they say that my mount "looks" bent. They had two techs and a service guy look at it next to another '06 and that mine "looks" bent. So me and a buddy walked over to the supply closet, grabbed a mop handle and borrowed a tape measure and went under the truck in the parking lot and put the mop handle across the frame and measured the crossmember drop. Walked over to the truck they were comparing it too and sure enough the measurement was the same. So it "looked" bent, but isn't. So I told them to quit trying to blame everything on the fact that I use my truck and demanded a loaner car and they kept the truck to do their job today. But we do know that it is not the rear crossmember that is pushed up and making the front of the motor go down. But what they did say was that there is something not right, cause you couldn't slide a piece of paper between the fan and the fan shroud....with the truck in the air. So that rules out a slip yoke that won't slip and is pushing on the transfer case.

7. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant Luckow
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Just got off the phone with Toyota and looks like I have a completely different issue. Looks like the truck must have been wrecked before I bought it. Which I have thought for some time now. And yeah it was. They didn't put the front body mount bolts or bushings or anything on the damn thing. My problem is that the front end of the truck is lifting, not the motor lowering. How it is lifting I am not sure yet, but it is. They said that they can push down on the front end and center the fan in the fan shroud very easily. Anyone wanna buy a truck, this is why I don't like to buy used. I want a new truck so I know what has happened to it, for the life of the truck!!!!

8. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:56 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Holy crap, dude. Bizarre issues! What happens when the body mount bolts are put in place? Does everything go back to where it belongs? If so, it may just be something to accept and live with until (if) you decide to sell it.

Did you buy from a dealer or an individual?

9. Dec 10, 2008 at 4:36 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant Luckow
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    No, it all goes back into place. And doesn't let it move around!!!! It is going to get fixed for now. I bought it from a dealer, a huge dealer that has alot of lots of alot of different brands. I will be doing some research. I do have all the factory parts to put back on it except the 12 1/2" of bed we cut off.

To Top