1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine shut-off / delayed restart

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dave4257, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    dave4257

dave4257 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I am in no way a mechanic so I will describe this as best I can and hope for the best :p

I have had a few instances lately of my truck losing power, and stalling either when sitting idle, or driving. When this happens, I cannot restart the truck for approx. 5-15 minutes. The truck will crank, but will not fire.
    The last time this happened I was driving at about 45mph, noticed a loss of power, RPM's started to drop until they were low enough for the truck to stall. Pressing the gas pedal received no response to attempt to save it from stalling (I had my foot on the gas the whole time to begin with). Aside from this issue the truck runs great, after it finally starts it will then run with no issue, but most recently this issue occurred 3 times within 45 minutes. The first time it happened I took it directly to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the issue and there was no code. Any ideas?

2. May 31, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Start with the basics - check for spark, air and fuel. Air should be a given, so move on to spark when cranking. If you have spark, next I'd start looking at fuel delivery (filter, pump, etc.)

After those basics are checked, then it's time to move on to the myriad sensors and gizmos on these trucks. MAF? Throttle?

3. May 31, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    medusa1066

medusa1066 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport
    I am not a mechanic either. My mom used to have an old Plymouth Laser that did this. It went through 3 or 4 Control Modules. She would sit on the road and listen for it to "click" and it would start right up. This probably isn't much help for you, sorry. Good Luck

To Top