1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

engine sludge+scratching ticking noise

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by timbo805, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jul 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    Visegripmech

Visegripmech Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner TRD
    Basically the same thing happened to me. After driving a leaky old volkswagen for 20 years, I foolishly neglected to regularily check the oil in my new 2004 PreRunner (seven years ago it was new, when I bought it I mean) This compounded with these three factors

1. I live approximately 1000 feet from my shop. On any typical day I may take 10 trips to and from home, the bank, grocery store, etc, all of which are less than 5 miles. The truck has a mere 69,000 miles on it now.
    2. The last oil change, done waaaaaaay too long ago (almost 10,000 miles) was done by the dealer - and the oil filter was slowly leaking un-noticed onto the skid plate ever since.
    3. Never bothered to service or inspect PCV system.

Yeah I know - WHAT AN IDIOT. Turns out that this is the perfect recipe for a sludged, if not totally destroyed engine. Since I'd never heard or saw anything unusual, (It had just passed CA Emissions a month earlier) it was only dumb luck that I decided to check the oil before taking a 60 mile drive one day. The dipstick had crap stuck to it and it took 3 1/2 quarts to top off! I felt like I had an enormous "DUMBASS" sign over my head - which is still there, its just not all lit up like it was at first.

Since then every morning starts with a big puff of smoke (at the time it was winter and I took it for condensation), I'm 99% sure the valve seals are toast. As far as all the other terrible damage that certainly occurred - I've decided to pretend it's not there. :anonymous:

4000 miles later it still runs great - there are some creepy noises (that may have been there all along) but I'm not planning on selling it or towing any bulldozers up a mountain.

Don't cry for me, I'm already dead

But let this be a warning to anyone with what I call the

"MY BRAND NEW TRUCK COULDN'T POSSIBLY NEED ANY ATTENTION" syndrome
    -

CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARILY!
    IT'S EASY! DO IT NOW!

2. Jul 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    timbo805

timbo805 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport pre-runner
    couldn't have said it better man !

3. Jul 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans displaced viking living in New Hampshire

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    THE LIVE FREE OR DIE STATE
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma reg cab 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    undercover se, pop&lock tailgate, rallye 1000 hela black magic lights, black grill craft grill lower. twm m1 abrams shift knob, ap ubolt flip kit & ifs high clearance skid , timbren bumpstops, pro comp 3 inch lift, goodrich ss braklines front and rear, lr uca's, customlightz.com fx-r 55 watt retrofit, ARB deluxe bull bar, vision-x solstice pods, black wet okole seat cover,weather tech digital floor mats window visors toyota hood guard, safari snorkel, full bed rug, full putco led swap hd led flasher cf18-08, pioneer bluetooth ipod navigation double din headunit, flowmaster 40 muffler custom center outlet exhaust, regear and arb lockers, arb rear bumper if they ever fucking release one lol and arb sliders coming soon as well as a new line-xtra paint job!
    i run mobil1 i have in all of my cars and trucks never had any problems concerning the engine at all. i do not attribute that to the brand of oil in any way but, quite possibly the choice to run a quality synthetic oil could very well make a difference in the long haul.

i don't follow what oil company's do with their products so what your saying you heard is that mobil1 is not a full synthetic any more? i thought mobil1 was the first full synthetic oil thats it's claim to fame. that and the racing heritage and being endorsed by a lot of factory's for their new cars.

lets just say dam the cost what is the best oil to run through your engine facts not opinion. because hearing mobil1 may not be what i thought it to be is a bit confusing. i know this is a topic that has been beaten with a stick, but concrete facts would help.

4. Jul 4, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    sooo... if that was the case wouldn't engine and gear oil in the stores have a expiration date on it? :confused:

OP...how long had it been since you checked the oil level on the dip stick? :eek:

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    They do have a shelf life. Mobil One is 5 years max in a sealed bottle but when exposed to metals and old oil in an engine it is less, of course.

6. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Yep. If I'm not mistaken, it's the additives are what break down in the oil.

7. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    timbo805

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    Dropped my truck off at the mechanic today 2-4 days FML !!!!

8. Jul 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    I would have to say your engine is toast. knocking is usally a sign that you have rod bearing damage. only one quart is not near enough oil and a dry oil filter means your engine wasnt pumping any oil to the bearings or other parts of the engine. Changing the oil wont fix the bearing damage.

9. Jul 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    timbo805

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:

waaaaa waaaa waaa wawawawawawawawawawawawawawa..... your probably right lets see what happens.

10. Jul 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    I wonder why the manufacturer's aren't held responsible for putting an expiration date on the box's and bottles? Most consumers haven't got a clue as to how old the oil is sitting on shelf's in stores and in their garage.

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    timbo805

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    the verdict..... need new motor FML !!!!!

12. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Damn man. Maybe find a used one from a salvage yard to save money. It has to be the same year or newer for it to work. Watch your fluids next time man.

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    timbo805

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    wat doasnt kill you makes you better man... so if i read right i cant have a 2005 motor and up ???

14. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    No it would have to be 09 and up for Cali emissions. Same year of the truck or newer. I'm sure there is a way around it though.

15. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    timbo805

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    also if any body in the socal area finds a good deal on a motor please let me know i would appreciate it thanks

16. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    timbo805

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:

yes !!!! my tacoma is a mexican tacoma so that means i can put a + 05 motor in ?

17. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
  18. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Sorry to hear about the situation.

Not to be a douche or anything, but I thought things like oil were common sense. It just goes to show that a small mistake can cost you a fortune. :sorry:

19. Jul 6, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    timbo805

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    its common sence man but when you have a new truck you think to youre self whats 4-5 months without a oil change when i have always maintained it properly ... just a bump on the road man learn from other peoples mistakes

20. Jul 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    The time frame had nothing to do with it. Some people go 15K miles or 6 months on the same oil when using Amsoil.

To Top