1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine sputter HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Pnicholas1019, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Pnicholas1019

Pnicholas1019 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    surprise
    Vehicle:
    '92 toyota tacoma
    6" lift, front bumper, Oil cooler, HID lights, toyo m/t 33's.
    Ok so after days and hours of trying to get her to run right i have failed.
    I was about to wire some new KC lights up and had it all connected. Lights didn't work so i started testing wires to see if they even had power and all of a sudden my truck turns off. BTW it ran amazing before this. So I tried to crank her back over and it would turn but not fire. Finally after replacing the spark plugs she fired. Ran pretty rough tho almost like a cylinder wasnt firing. So i replaced Distributer cap and rotar and made sure my wires were good. No it still sputters and idles funny. If i step on the gas it goes no problem. but if i cruz at about 15mph it sputters and sounds as if it wants to die. Please help. Any suggestions? Tips? what should i check next? Thanks for the time!

2. Pnicholas1019

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    surprise
    Vehicle:
    '92 toyota tacoma
  3. BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    If I am understanding you correctly, you had no problems until you installed the lights? I am thinking you should check all of your fuses to be sure you didn't accidentally blow one. Then we can go from there.

4. Pnicholas1019

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    surprise
    Vehicle:
    '92 toyota tacoma
    Well its wouldnt fire till i put the new spark plugs in. I have checked all the fuses and none ore blown. I took the entire light bar off and now it runs with the sputtter.

5. BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    Sorry, but still a bit confused. Please clarify. Did the truck run fine before you touched it, or was it running bad, and you installed a lightbar and new plugs anyway?

6. Pnicholas1019

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    surprise
    Vehicle:
    '92 toyota tacoma
    it was running fine. I hooked up the lightbar and it died. Then would not turn over. So i replaced the plugs and then it fired. Now it runs and has an off sputter to it. so its not back to how it was.

7. BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I would think that something got burned or shorted. Have you checked all fuses in all of the fuse boxes? (I think there are 2 on that year, but may be wrong) After that look at anywhere where you had the light bar connected. Look for burn spots or melted wires.

8. Pnicholas1019

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    surprise
    Vehicle:
    '92 toyota tacoma
    yess i check both under hood and driver inside panel. i did find a crack in my plug wire and i electrical taped it. or do i need all new wires?

To Top