1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Ticking only under load

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by betterbuckleup, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Jun 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Hi all, I have a strange problem
    I have a 2000 2.7 3rz Tacoma that I recently replaced the head on. All went according to plan, but since I got it running, the engine has been making a ticking noise that sounds like lifter tick. Although I know that its not lifter tick due to the fact that the sound is only happening when I am accelerating/when the engine is under load. It does not occur when revving the engine in neutral or when slowing down, downshifting, etc.

The head that I purchased had the valves already adjusted. The truck runs great otherwise. I just wish it didn't tick like it does. Is this a normal sound for these engines?

Has anybody had anything like this? Maybe an exhaust leak on the EGR tube behind the block?

I am stumped:annoyed:

2. Jun 26, 2017 at 9:59 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    might have to set the e-brake and put some blocks under the front tires and have buddy that you trust, really really trust, put her in first or second and slip the clutch while the hood is open and "load" the engine that way so you can isolate the noise... dont go over-board or you will be putting a clutch in it.

3. Jun 26, 2017 at 10:38 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Take a video of this noise so we can hear it.

4. Jun 27, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Could it be engine knock?
    Check the knock sensor connection.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  5. Jun 27, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    Tiny exhaust leak (like cracked header, seals not correctly settled etc.) sounds like a "clicking" when you are in the cabin. Obviously under load there is a lot of exhaust gases, way more than under revving in neutral or idle hence the clicking is louder.

RanchoRat likes this.
  6. Jun 27, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    I thought all tacoma's ticked. Mine is a 2nd gen but if it stops ticking I'm going to start looking for the problem

7. Jun 27, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I have a 3.4 and may have the same problem.

8. Jun 27, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    christsay

christsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Austin, TX / Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green DCLB TRD 4x4
    JB Grand Raid Evo XXL mounted on an Alu-Cab. 5.29 gears.
    If you find it let us know where the leak was. I think I also have a similar noise. I even broke down and had a shop try and locate the sound while I outsourced the steering rack bushing replacement but no luck.

-chris

9. Jun 27, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    betterbuckleup

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    Its not the knock sensor. I replaced it recently and i am almost 100% confident that the engine is not knocking.

10. Jun 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    betterbuckleup

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    I just got off the phone with King cylinder heads who I got the new head from. Mike who has been helping me out is going to send me some documentation on what the sound could be and steps on head installation. He was explaining to me that there is some kind of a service bolt that needs to be installed before removing the cams to keep tension. I don't remember doing that, so that could also be an issue as well.

ALTHOUGH, I was able to feel a small leak from the EGR tube that connects between the intake manifold and the back of the exhaust manifold. I will try and get that sealed and see if that was the sole source of the sound. Fingers crossed. I dont want to have to dig back into the head to play with the cams......:pout:

11. Jun 27, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    betterbuckleup

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    I know that all tacomas and older engines like this normally tick, but mine is so pronounced that it cant be normal. I will post updates as to what I find and my progress. When I have some spare time and a buddy to help, I will try and shoot a video so that you can see the noise I am talking about.

12. Jun 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM
    Wulf

Wulf no brain just damage

Member:
    First Name:
    Kira
    1789 28th St, Boulder, CO 80301
    Vehicle:
    rock raisin
    Yep, sounds (ha) like an exhaust leak to me too.

13. Jun 27, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    betterbuckleup

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    I hope that that is all it is. I will find out when I get it sealed!

14. Jun 27, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    One camshaft gear is actually split gear with the spring trying to get teeth apart. The bolt is for keeping these two halves together (locking the spring) when you remove the camshaft. After the camshafts are put back and gears are engaged you remove the bolt. Now the spring keeps both gears engaged with zero slope.

If you skip "the bolt thing" before you remove camshafts the spring will spread gears. In that case before the camshaft is put back, both halves need to be "synchronized" (by turning one half against the other squeezing the spring till "bolt" holes align). If not you will have loose on camshafts and engine will make clacking noise. Also could run like crap if both cams are not opening/closing valves at the same time.

15. Jun 27, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    betterbuckleup

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    I just went out and unbolted the EGR tube on the exhaust manifold to find that I did not install a gasket. The lock ring washers were also pretty worn out. I went and picked up some new ones and just bolted it back on until I can get a hold of a gasket for it. I went and drove around to see if it changed anything, and the noise was much more quiet. I can still feel a small amount of exhaust escaping from the mating surface when I put my finger up to it, I assume a gasket will eliminate that.

My local Toyota dealership has the gasket in stock, but its $20. Gonna shop around and see if any other auto part stores have it for cheaper before I pull the trigger.
    Its weird how a small exhaust leak can sound like something mechanical in your engine going awry....

16. Jun 28, 2017 at 2:55 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Can you take a pic of this location? I know you have a different motor but just curious.

17. Jun 28, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Here's a good diy on the 5vz for showing the service bolt and its importance. I know you've got a 4 banger, still the concept should be the same.

18. Jun 28, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    betterbuckleup

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies about the service bolt. That clarifies it.
    So, when I took the cams off to install the head bolts, the gear didnt split apart, so that tells me that the bolt was already installed when i got it new, right? Since I didn't know about this bolt when doing the head replacement, I didn't take it out upon reassembly. Should I take the valve cover back off and take the bolt out? It runs great right now, so would it cause any harm to leave it in?

On another note, I was able to eliminate the sound by installing a gasket and putting on new lock ring washers on the EGR tube mounting flange on the exhaust manifold. I got the gasket from Autozone for $3. Waaaay cheaper than from Toyota.
    I will take a picture of the tube and where it mounts to so everyone can see what I am talking about.

19. Jun 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    betterbuckleup

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    This is on the passenger side of the engine bay. You can see the tube and where it mounts to on the backside of the exhaust manifold. The gasket I got is some type of graphite looking composite. The typical material that is used on exhaust components on all engines. I just dont know what that stuff is called.

20. Jun 28, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    The service bolt is only to hold the halves of the gears together when the cam is out of the engine. If it's still in there it needs to come out before it backs itself out into your engine and possibly causes damage. Being lubed by engine oil and rotating with inevitable vibrations from the engine running will most likely make that happen in a relatively short amount of time.

Products Discussed in

To Top