1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine timing off crackling sound

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by In2Ndo, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Feb 21, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    networkraptor

networkraptor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 NBM ORP
    Triggered.

stun gun and Herniator like this.
  2. Feb 21, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    nuckingfuts

nuckingfuts Well-Known Member

Member:
    To the OP: my 2000 tacoma 3.4 v6 has done this ever since I bought it in 2008 with 80k miles. It does it on rare occasions, depends on throttle position and engine load and who know’s what else. For what it’s worth, I have well over 200k miles on it now and it’s still running, never left me stranded. I got to drive my friends 2014 tacoma 4.0L and it also did it a few times. Sounds like tin foil crinkling.

3. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:16 PM
    Hurricane91

Hurricane91 Robin Hood Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Geary, New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Bilstein 5100, TRS Retrofit Headlights, Toywerx Grille, Fab Fours Bumper, Hilux 167 Snorkel, aFe CAI, aFe TB Spacer, Flowmaster Muffler, Black Dash Mod, Alpine INE-W957HD Head Unit, Alpine Type S Speakers, Black Dash Trim, Rigid Ditch Lights, Heated Seats, Catch Can, AMSOIL Fluids, Cobra 75WXST, Rago Antenna Mount, Panavice Dash Mount, Rigid Midnight Series Ditch Lights, Rigid Midnight Series Diffused Fod Lights.

Did you ever find a cause for this? I have the same issue, intermittently. Seems to be when the transmission fluid is between 59 and 80 degrees. The timing will drop to between 0 and -9 degrees.

4. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra

Not to get into a pissing match but I wouldn’t call rotted frames proven reliability.

And no, the frames are different

The hammer and Herniator like this.
  5. Feb 28, 2018 at 4:32 AM
    Hurricane91

Hurricane91 Robin Hood Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Geary, New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Bilstein 5100, TRS Retrofit Headlights, Toywerx Grille, Fab Fours Bumper, Hilux 167 Snorkel, aFe CAI, aFe TB Spacer, Flowmaster Muffler, Black Dash Mod, Alpine INE-W957HD Head Unit, Alpine Type S Speakers, Black Dash Trim, Rigid Ditch Lights, Heated Seats, Catch Can, AMSOIL Fluids, Cobra 75WXST, Rago Antenna Mount, Panavice Dash Mount, Rigid Midnight Series Ditch Lights, Rigid Midnight Series Diffused Fod Lights.

My second Gen has a mint frame. Not a spot of rust on it. Oh, and it's original.

6. Feb 28, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Haven't yet.
    Not happening often enough to really piss me off yet.
    Based on some reading, suspect it could be oil control valves.

edit: happens to me at a variety of temps & weather. within a few minutes of startup and after 30+ minutes on highway equally likely. Haven't found a pattern for when it happens.

7. Feb 28, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    In2Ndo

In2Ndo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
    Thanks for the replies. And just to clarify. I’m not talking about the pinging noise the fuel injectors make.
    Is like the chain gurgling sound when the timing is off in older cars.
    I haven’t heard that sound in one of my trucks/cars in probably 20 years. Till now :-(

8. Feb 28, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    MrGoodCat

MrGoodCat Member

Member:
    OP,

I've got a 2016 3.5L 2wd auto truck. I bought it used with about 25K miles on it. She was filled up with 87 octane when I bought her (damn socal crap gas). I noticed on two occasions that there was detonation when starting the truck (the "crackling sound" you speak of). And like you said, it wasn't just a ping or two, sounded very bad, but only lasted a second. Couple things worth noting. After I bought her I pulled the negative terminal to reset the ECU/TCU, plus it had the 87 octane. Since I had reset the ECU, it could have been setting fuel trims at that point. These engines have knock sensors and will adjust timing/afr accordingly to prevent future knocks.

After that first tank of gas I filled with 89 octane (medium grade for us), no more detonation. Could have very well had nothing to do with the change in octane though. Now, I never had detonation during accel, only the two times after initial crank over of engine (cold mornings in socal are ~50F). Since that 89 tank I have filled with 91 (best we got), and the accel off idle feels a lot better (again, never had detonation off idle, accel just felt sluggish on 87/9 octane).

Not to scare you, but I would seriously consider taking your truck in for inspection at the dealer. Especially if you can recreate the issue under certain circumstances. Detonation is very bad for an engine, and Toyota should be held accountable if their engines knock like crazy. Just my 2 cents

Hope some of that info helps

In2Ndo[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 28, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    Fully triggered

The hammer likes this.
  10. Feb 28, 2018 at 5:06 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    What year? Post a pic up so we can all see

The hammer likes this.
  11. Feb 28, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    The ecm controls the timing on our trucks, it either advances or retards it based on various conditions. If it's retarding timing, something is telling it to do so, and that something could be a knock sensor or something resonating in the exhaust. I would check and make sure the exhaust is oem & routing is original and nothing's hitting or resonating on it.
    A knock sensor failure should trigger a code, but if all else is oem I'd try replacing with a known good one. We know we've had some issues with faulty cps sensors that don't leave a trail (code) too, so I'd be suspicious of that also.

Ether way it's a bummer for those with the issue and the dealer should be doing his best to help, as emission components have 80k warranty.

Let us know if anything's resolved.

12. Feb 28, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    It definitely says in the manual some knocking is normal. I tried to find it again but was unsuccessful. Mainly it said on an incline, guessing because of the loss of oil due to gravity. If you’re not getting a CEL I wouldn’t worry too much. The knock sensor should trigger if it’s an actual problem. If you’re worried take it an and see if there are any stored codes and have them check it out

The hammer likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top