1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Enlisting in Air Force have a few Questions??

Discussion in 'Military' started by 99nmtaco, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    99nmtaco

99nmtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4 Runner
    ADS racing shocks ext travel front, ADS FJC piggyback shocks rear, Addicted Offroad front plate bumper, 4xinnovations rock sliders and rear plate bumper, SCS Stealth 6s
    Hi guys I'm currently going thru the process of enlisting in the USAF! I recently graduated college with a degree in architecture, which turns out is now one of the hardest jobs to find an opening in due to the economy. After high school I thought about enlisting but decided to go the college route instead. After thinking long and hard I decided to enlist and am super excited about it! I've already done my asvab and will be going to MEPS next week. I just had a few questions about jobs since I have to pick 9 that I would like to do. Right now I'm looking at aircraft metas tech, NDI, and unmanned aerospace sys sensor op. Anyone have any experience with any of these jobs? Any suggestions on any other jobs that are in the mechanical or electrical fields? Any advice is appreciated as this is a pretty big choice for me and my wife in our futures.

2. Jun 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM
    whitetacoma89

whitetacoma89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner
    Are you going active, reserves, or national guard?

3. Jun 5, 2013 at 2:52 AM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    Be a drone pilot.

4. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:07 AM
    Tycoma

Tycoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TY
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    Im a crew chief and I work with Metals Tech and NDI. First off I would stay away from being anything open general or mechanical, I would get a guaranteed job if you have to wait a few months do it, not worth it to get stuck with a job you dont like since it is hard to get a new one once you already have one. If I could do it again I would be Metals tech or X Ray Tech. Metals Tech is awesome they get to play with all the cool toys like welders and water jets, they pretty much make anything metal for the base and weld everything and do all the machining. STAY AWAY from jobs like mine- Fighter Crew Chief, believe me not as cool as it sounds working 12 hours while everyone else works 8 and get paid the same. Also stay away from avionics, weapons, AGE, AMMO, Sheet metal- these are all jobs that suck I know I work with them ( best job on the flight line metals tech by far.) I say X ray tech is a close second because you get all the certs for working outside of the Air Force and I know someone who does it and it may be a duller job but they get PAID, my buddy works night shift on the weekends at a hospital and makes twice as much as he does in the air force. NDI is also a good job because they are in high demand on the outside and make a lot of money. Sensor op is a good job also havent heard much about it but what i do hear is nice just got to watch out because they dont have a lot of bases they can go to, i think Beale AFB, Davis-Monthan and Nellis- not a lot. If you have any questions about other jobs I might be able to help you out just give me a PM.

5. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    You just got a degree, find out about going the Officer route (if it was a 4yr degree).

6. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:22 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    Def look at going into doing something that if you could get out you can still do and have all the experience. If have a degree also look at the officer route as well. Alot better pay than enlisted.

7. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:23 AM
    Tycoma

Tycoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TY
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    My wife tried this and didnt get accepted, with all the budget cuts its almost impossible, almost. The Air Force is kicking just about anyone out right now for just about anything so you have to be careful if you do get in. We don't even fly that much anymore to save on that gas monies

8. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:30 AM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    x2 or 3 on trying to come as an officer. There quality of life just seems so much better than enlisted. Try to stay away from the Securtiy Forces career field and for sure the Services career field. I have been a Cop (Security Forces) for almost 3 years now, we honeslty dont do a whole lot but, when stuff happens we get really busy and fast. Stay away from sercives because you will end up in a kitchen. So x2 on stay away from Mechanical and General. Wait on something you want and don't put anything down you couldn't see your self doing. The AF has not been bad to me by any means. IF you have any further questions feel free to pm me as well.

9. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:36 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    X2 anything with UVAs is going to be around for awhile. Better to get your foot in the door now while,you can.

10. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    satcom221

satcom221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kingston, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Celestial Silver Double Cab SR5 4x4 SB
    VLEDS V tail conversion, gas cap holder
    Are you set on Enlisted over Commissioned? Enlisted would give you hands on work while the commission would give you the indepth technical knowledge and leadership control. I was an Aircraft Mechanic for 10 years active and then 12 years in satellite communications in Texas ANG. I would seriously consider Officer if you have a degree.

Best bet would be to do a search for AFI 36-2101 and look over all the job classes to get a better idea before. Recruiters generally do not lie, but don't always offer you what is best for you. If you talk to an enlisted recruiter they most likely will not even mention the 'other' side and vice versa.

Read, read, read - its your career not anyone elses, nobody has a vested intrest in yours - especially the recruiter.

You can PM me with any specific questions you have, Rick

11. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    X2 I wish I could have a piece of the "otherside."

12. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    99nmtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4 Runner
    ADS racing shocks ext travel front, ADS FJC piggyback shocks rear, Addicted Offroad front plate bumper, 4xinnovations rock sliders and rear plate bumper, SCS Stealth 6s
    Great thanks for the info! Is the x-ray tech different than NDI? I keep hearing really great things about the metals tech job I'm thinkin that's gonna be my #1 pick.

I'm going active.

I will eventually go to ots just trying to get my foot in the door at the moment. From what I was told the air force is being super picky over who they accept into the officer program straight outta college. There lookin for engineering background and people who were the top of their class. I figured it would be easier to go officer from inside the air force.

13. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    ribby95

ribby95 Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    I'm currently in the DEP, and leaving August 13. My current Job is going to be E&E. From what I've been told is its always a lot better to have a job then be in the general mechanical field.

14. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    99nmtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4 Runner
    Sweet congrats! I've heard that a lot too and I have no problem waiting for something I want to do rather than just going in open mechanical.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  15. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    All I can say is make sure you know what job you have before you sign anything.. i have had a number of Airmen come through Techschool all kinds of butthurt about getting put into our Career Field because the Recruiter talked them into going Open, because it meant they could be "Anything" when really Open typically Means.. get put into an Undermanned Career Field

16. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    99nmtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4 Runner
    Ok so everyone keeps saying to know what job I'm getting before I sign anything. When do they have you sign the paperwork for your chosen job? Is it at meps or sometime after that?

17. Jun 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,

For people W/O ROTC, getting commissioned is TOUGH. I have a friend that two years ago graduated with honors with a B.S. in Civil Engineering from FSU. Though he wanted to go Air Force, he ended up in the Navy.

No ROTC hurt him bad.

Unless you are a Doctor/Nurse/Medical Field, getting to OCS w/o ROTC is next to impossible, unless you are prior service.

18. Jun 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Based on your ASVAB score, your recruiter should tell you what you qualify for, and what is available.

19. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    Lot's of good advice here....always go in with your eyes open as others have stated. I don't know which career field is better for you, but where I work (puzzle palace) the Air Force officers who are in a high tech field or intel seem to be rising the fastest and are happiest. lol. If they won't accept you as an officer...why not try one of the other services? Not trying to sway you, but there are other options.
    ps. Did you know that a physical requirement to get into the Air Force academy is shooting free throws? wow

20. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    usaf

usaf Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road Double Cab
    All-Pro upper a-arms, front bumper with light bar, rear leaf spring lift kit, Walker Evans racing shocks all around
    Read up on all the jobs you are interested in and select the ones you like the best. Its what you are going to be doing so you might as well enjoy it. Do not go open general because who knows what you will get. I joined as Aircrew Intell an really enjoy my job!

Products Discussed in

To Top