1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Enough Already! Your Truck's T, HP and RPM Explained

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by hiPSI, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Oct 20, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    Un-Molested
    Appreciate the reply and insight. Once I have the vehicle I'll start heading down that road.

Mrtacoman88 and MOC221_ like this.
  2. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:53 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ Humble subject of King Shit

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Having re-read your earlier posts about test driving a 2016, and in all fairness to Toyota engineers, they have updated their calibrations (both auto and manual) several times since the 3rd gen launch in the summer/fall of 2015. I have no personal insight into the auto trans trucks, but you will find both positive and negative opinions on whether or not these Toyota updates improved driveability in addition to solving early quirks (see list of TSBs in the sticky threads).
    Having owned an early 2016 M/T off road and then updating it with a later (TSB) Toyota calibration myself (Techstream), I can tell you it made a difference. I was already OVtuned however, so I didn't stay on the stock calibration for long lol.
    My '19 Sport M/T Sport drove similarly to the updated '16 until I OVtuned it.

TL;DR - that '16 you drove may or may not have had it's ECM calibration updated. Old versions < new versions.

daveeasa likes this.
  3. Oct 21, 2020 at 4:05 AM
    GrundleJuice

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    Un-Molested
    Interesting and thanks for that info. I'll investigate that when I take possession. I assume an ecm update would be something that Toyota would want done and would be free of charge or a minimal cost.

MOC221_ likes this.
  4. Oct 21, 2020 at 5:04 AM
    Self Peace

Self Peace Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR
    Interesting information. I traded my ‘17 for a ‘20 and noticed a nice difference in driveability in the ‘20. Better acceleration and it didn’t have that drop in rpm around 2nd and 3rd gear. .

5. Oct 21, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ Humble subject of King Shit

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    It depends, as the ECM updates (for driveability) are usually associated with a TSB and not a recall. Technically you'd have to show the specific symptom specified in the TSB to the service dept at your dealer to get them to apply the ECM flash. There are some dealers that will flash without hassle, and some that absolutely will not unless the symptom(s) can be shown or observed. This is why quite a few of us (at least on the M/T side of the house) opted to just flash the ECM ourselves. There are entire threads dedicated to this procedure:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ecu-tsb-update.562550/

hiPSI [OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 21, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    GrundleJuice

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    Un-Molested
    Once again, thank you much. I have a tactrix cable for my Subaru, I believe it is a 2.0. I'll need to find out how to verify that.

Edit - I went back through my email to 2007 and found the receipt for my cable. It's shown as a 1.2/1.3, so looks like not a 2.0. not sure what the differences are but I don't think I want to try it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top